Velocity Reviews

-   -   I want to play a Win 98 program on an XP computer (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t479369-i-want-to-play-a-win-98-program-on-an-xp-computer.html)

John Ross Mc Master 12-30-2006 11:44 PM

I want to play a Win 98 program on an XP computer

It is Sheridan Disk Cataloguer.
http://www.gcn.com/print/17_22/33219-1.html
The program does not work on my XP machine. Is there any way to force
it to work? To trick the XP machine into acting like a Win 98 machine?

Thanks

Ron Martell 12-31-2006 12:36 AM

Re: I want to play a Win 98 program on an XP computer

John Ross Mc Master <pussycat@cathouse.meow> wrote:

>It is Sheridan Disk Cataloguer.
>http://www.gcn.com/print/17_22/33219-1.html
>The program does not work on my XP machine. Is there any way to force
>it to work? To trick the XP machine into acting like a Win 98 machine?
>
>Thanks

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Ron Martell 12-31-2006 12:40 AM

Re: I want to play a Win 98 program on an XP computer

John Ross Mc Master <pussycat@cathouse.meow> wrote:

>It is Sheridan Disk Cataloguer.
>http://www.gcn.com/print/17_22/33219-1.html
>The program does not work on my XP machine. Is there any way to force
>it to work? To trick the XP machine into acting like a Win 98 machine?
>
>Thanks

You can try installing the program in Windows XP and creating a
desktop icon to launch it. Then right-click on the icon, select
Properties and go to the Compatibility tab. Select the option to run
the program in compatibility mode for Windows 95 or Windows 98.

But from the description of how the program works I suspect that it
may be bypassing the operating system functions and working directly
with the computer hardware. This is not a good programming practice
but it was tolerated in the Windows 9x versions. However Windows XP
totally prohibits any program from working directly with the hardware,
and that may be why this program is not XP compatible. It probably
would take a complete redesign and rewrite of the entire program to
make it XP compatibile.

Good luck

Evan Platt 12-31-2006 12:41 AM

Re: I want to play a Win 98 program on an XP computer

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:44:47 GMT, John Ross Mc Master
<pussycat@cathouse.meow> wrote:

>It is Sheridan Disk Cataloguer.
>http://www.gcn.com/print/17_22/33219-1.html
>The program does not work on my XP machine. Is there any way to force
>it to work? To trick the XP machine into acting like a Win 98 machine?
>
>Thanks

You can try right clicking on the EXE in Windows Explorer, and select
Properties, then IIRC there's a "Compatibility Mode" option. Select
Windows 98.
This may or may not work.

John Ross Mc Master 12-31-2006 01:04 AM

Re: I want to play a Win 98 program on an XP computer

Thanks. I'll try it. Hope it works.
John

John Ross Mc Master 12-31-2006 02:13 AM

Re: I want to play a Win 98 program on an XP computer

THANKS! IT WORKED!

Am I ever happy. My catalog has over 4,000 CD's in it.