Velocity Reviews

-   -   What's the quality of CD download compared to Original? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t479030-whats-the-quality-of-cd-download-compared-to-original.html)

Wereo_SUPREME 12-21-2006 12:38 AM

What's the quality of CD download compared to Original?

I'm planning on making a 3 hour radio show I did in 1974 called
California Jam available through my website californiajam.com. The
quality of the CD off my original 7" reel is absolutely magnifique and
world-renowned. The material will be divvied up and supplanted into
approximately 35 separate downloads, $1.25 per.

I'm curious as to how the Finished Product is going to sound to the end
listener. Also can I put such a thing as no-copy on these downloads? If
you're worried about the legality of my Project I plan to forward 10%
of all sales from these downloads to SESAC and there will be a notice
on the revamped website attesting to this.

Incidentally, my saga of and the history of these California Jam
Recordings of mine is Legendary, so much so that the very STRUCTURE of
the world's supply of Music is now a serious doubtful question because
of these Caljam Recordings and some of my other Projects. That's how
STRONG the material really is.

I'm not here to show off, I'm here for technical reasons. Thank you if
you can help me with the sound quality query to the end-user. Can they
make a CD out of this? Can they just play it directly from their
harddrive? Thanks for your help.

If you want to address the legal aspect of what I plan to do it's fine
as well. I spoke to a music attorney this morning who in essence told
me "I'm not condoning what you're doing, but if they decide to sue call
me at that point." Thank you for all your help guys. Scott

thanatoid 12-21-2006 03:06 AM

Re: What's the quality of CD download compared to Original?

"Wereo_SUPREME" <caljamscott@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:1166661527.305355.16840@a3g2000cwd.googlegrou ps.com:

> I'm planning on making a 3 hour radio show I did in 1974
> called California Jam available through my website
> californiajam.com. The quality of the CD off my original 7"
> reel is absolutely magnifique and world-renowned.

I guess this last sentence is the reason you're getting all the
replies. Lighten up, god's gift to the world.
(At least you spelled renowned correctly. That's something.)

<clueless drivel snipped>

Wereo_SUPREME 12-21-2006 04:59 AM

thanatoid wrote:
> "Wereo_SUPREME" <caljamscott@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:1166661527.305355.16840@a3g2000cwd.googlegrou ps.com:
>
> > I'm planning on making a 3 hour radio show I did in 1974
> > called California Jam available through my website
> > californiajam.com. The quality of the CD off my original 7"
> > reel is absolutely magnifique and world-renowned.

> I guess this last sentence is the reason you're getting all the
> replies. Lighten up, god's gift to the world.
> (At least you spelled renowned correctly. That's something.)
>
> <clueless drivel snipped>
>
> --
> Disagreements and the usual insults expected and welcomed.

I'm just trying to give an idea of the Product I have here. I'm also
very proud of my work. I appreciate the comeback, and I'm still seeking
advice to the query. Yes I spelled renowned correctly. It's a word you
don't see too often in posts.

dadiOH 12-21-2006 09:15 PM

Wereo_SUPREME wrote:
> I'm planning on making a 3 hour radio show I did in 1974 called
> California Jam available through my website californiajam.com. The
> quality of the CD off my original 7" reel is absolutely magnifique
> and world-renowned. The material will be divvied up and supplanted
> into approximately 35 separate downloads, $1.25 per.
>
> I'm curious as to how the Finished Product is going to sound to the
> end listener.

That depends on what you have them download. If wave it will be same
as original, size is 10.584MB per minute of music. MP3 size and
quality depend on the encoding rate you use. Reasonable quality would
be 128-192 kbps which would reduce size by up to 12 times.
___________________

> I'm not here to show off, I'm here for technical reasons. Thank you
> if you can help me with the sound quality query to the end-user.
> Can they make a CD out of this?

Sure
_____________

> Can they just play it directly from
> their harddrive?

Sure

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Wereo_SUPREME 12-21-2006 09:54 PM

dadiOH wrote:
> Wereo_SUPREME wrote:
> > I'm planning on making a 3 hour radio show I did in 1974 called
> > California Jam available through my website californiajam.com. The
> > quality of the CD off my original 7" reel is absolutely magnifique
> > and world-renowned. The material will be divvied up and supplanted
> > into approximately 35 separate downloads, $1.25 per.
> >
> > I'm curious as to how the Finished Product is going to sound to the
> > end listener.

> That depends on what you have them download. If wave it will be same
> as original, size is 10.584MB per minute of music. MP3 size and
> quality depend on the encoding rate you use. Reasonable quality would
> be 128-192 kbps which would reduce size by up to 12 times.
> ___________________
>
> > I'm not here to show off, I'm here for technical reasons. Thank you
> > if you can help me with the sound quality query to the end-user.
> > Can they make a CD out of this?

> Sure
> _____________
>
> > Can they just play it directly from
> > their harddrive?

> Sure
>
> --
>
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Hi dadiOH. You're wonderful. What do you suggest?

Let me give you a little background of what I have and what I'm doing.
The original California Jam CD came from the "master" reel-to-reel that
I created in 1974. Apparently I was the only one rolling tape on the
Behemoth-Gig throughout the whole world during the simulcast. How this
happened noone knows but that's what happened.

The "quality" of the 3 + hours CD is pristine, in other words "way of
life." Absolutely incredible sound. I'm only using a few MBs of a 500
GB (I believe) plan on californiajam.com. I want to make this the most
enjoyable and incredible Listening Experience the end user will ever
have, in their life. This is certainly capable of doing away with rock
and roll altogether. Anyway...

I think you understand what I'm trying to accomplish here. What do you
suggest I do, within reasonable cost to achieve my Objective? Thank you
so much for your great instructions, Scott.

I would also like to incorporate the DRM copy-protection scheme because
needless to say I don't want everyone copying my files "too quickly."
Scott

dadiOH 12-22-2006 01:56 PM

Wereo_SUPREME wrote:

> Hi dadiOH. You're wonderful. What do you suggest?

Send me money! :)
____________________

> The "quality" of the 3 + hours CD is pristine, in other words "way
> of life." Absolutely incredible sound. I'm only using a few MBs of
> a 500 GB (I believe) plan on californiajam.com. I want to make this
> the most enjoyable and incredible Listening Experience the end user
> will ever have, in their life. This is certainly capable of doing
> away with rock and roll altogether.

Jazz already does that for some of us.
___________________

> I think you understand what I'm trying to accomplish here. What do
> you suggest I do, within reasonable cost to achieve my Objective?
> Thank you so much for your great instructions, Scott.

Cost is not a factor, time and space are. You need to start by
digitizing the sound from your tape(s). You can do that with either
CDex, Audiograbber or any number of other "rippers". You will have to
record via "line in". That is real time recording so it will take
however long the tapes take to play. You should be recording to wave
files...specifically, 44,100Hz, 16 bit stereo wave. For more info,
see "Mostly For Newbies - An Explanation of Digital Music" in my
dandies, link in sig.

Your 3+ hours is going to need about 3 CDs (2.1GB) worth of HD space.
You could record as one big file and split it up later or record as
segments. Once digitized, you may find that the sound is less
pristine than you think; if so, be prepared to spend many, many hours
editing with a wave editor such as Goldwave or Audacity.

Once you have good wave files named in an orderly manner, you need to
think about distribution format. There are three possibilities...
1. as wave
2. as non-lossy compressed wave (SHN, FLAC, etc. (ZIP and similar
won't do))
3. As lossy compressed wave (MP3, WMA)

If you elect wave, no one with dial up will be interested due to the
extended time needed for downloading. Broadband users will also be
less interested. Non-lossy compressed wave will only compress by
around 50% max so that isn't a great choice either IMO. I would use
MP3...192 kbps, VBR (variable bit rate) encoded with a LAME encoder.
If you use that (or WMA) you should fill in the ID3 tags properly.
_____________________

> I would also like to incorporate the DRM copy-protection scheme
> because needless to say I don't want everyone copying my files "too
> quickly." Scott

You have three choices here...
1. Distribute the files as either very low bit rate compressed
files
2. Distribute only short segments but at a good quality
3. Forget about DRM

It is so simple to circumvent DRM that it isn't worth bothering with.
Your only viable alternatives are #1 or #2 which would let a potential
purchaser sample them and buy the good stuff via a mailed CD. If you
do that, the stuff from the good CD will be ripped and posted in a
heart beat.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Lookout 12-23-2006 12:48 AM

Re: What's the quality of CD download compared to Original?

Use the highest bit rate you can (320) and then let others compress it
down for size.
For better help try the MP3 groups

Wereo_SUPREME 12-23-2006 03:31 AM

"Lookout" <Alayanke@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Use the highest bit rate you can (320) and then let others compress it
> down for size.
> For better help try the MP3 groups
>
> On 21 Dec 2006 13:54:38 -0800, "Wereo_SUPREME" <caljamscott@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>dadiOH wrote:

>>> That depends on what you have them download. If wave it will be same
>>> as original, size is 10.584MB per minute of music. MP3 size and
>>> quality depend on the encoding rate you use. Reasonable quality would
>>> be 128-192 kbps which would reduce size by up to 12 times.
>>> ___________________

>>> Sure
>>> _____________

>>> Sure
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> dadiOH
>>> ____________________________
>>>
>>> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
>>> ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
>>> LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
>>> Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

>>Hi dadiOH. You're wonderful. What do you suggest?
>>
>>Let me give you a little background of what I have and what I'm doing.
>>The original California Jam CD came from the "master" reel-to-reel that
>>I created in 1974. Apparently I was the only one rolling tape on the
>>Behemoth-Gig throughout the whole world during the simulcast. How this
>>happened noone knows but that's what happened.
>>
>>The "quality" of the 3 + hours CD is pristine, in other words "way of
>>life." Absolutely incredible sound. I'm only using a few MBs of a 500
>>GB (I believe) plan on californiajam.com. I want to make this the most
>>enjoyable and incredible Listening Experience the end user will ever
>>have, in their life. This is certainly capable of doing away with rock
>>and roll altogether. Anyway...
>>
>>I think you understand what I'm trying to accomplish here. What do you
>>suggest I do, within reasonable cost to achieve my Objective? Thank you
>>so much for your great instructions, Scott.
>>
>>I would also like to incorporate the DRM copy-protection scheme because
>>needless to say I don't want everyone copying my files "too quickly."
>>Scott

Will do, thank you! :-)

Wereo_SUPREME 12-23-2006 03:31 AM

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@guesswhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> MP3...192 kbps, VBR (variable bit rate) encoded with a LAME encoder.
> If you use that (or WMA) you should fill in the ID3 tags properly.
> _____________________
>
>> I would also like to incorporate the DRM copy-protection scheme
>> because needless to say I don't want everyone copying my files "too
>> quickly." Scott

> You have three choices here...
> 1. Distribute the files as either very low bit rate compressed
> files
> 2. Distribute only short segments but at a good quality
> 3. Forget about DRM
>
> It is so simple to circumvent DRM that it isn't worth bothering with.
> Your only viable alternatives are #1 or #2 which would let a potential
> purchaser sample them and buy the good stuff via a mailed CD. If you
> do that, the stuff from the good CD will be ripped and posted in a

I can send you a blank check. So blank there's nothing written on it! :-)