Velocity Reviews

-   -   Just out of curiosity (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t478744-just-out-of-curiosity.html)

Tester 12-12-2006 11:51 AM

Just out of curiosity

Why are some of the files found in /etc in Unix found in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc in XP?

They have nothing whatsoever to do with drivers.

In particular I'm looking at /etc/hosts which alows you to put in
lines like

102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com

and then access http://rhino.acme.com/whatever.html

even though there's no such domain defined on the internet.

Vanguard 12-12-2006 12:44 PM

Re: Just out of curiosity

"Tester" <teest@test.org> wrote in message
news:eb5tn2h15le04vlvl0gta9qsgl0sf2cdsm@entropy.or g...
> Why are some of the files found in /etc in Unix found in
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc in XP?

Because UNIX is UNIX and Windows is Windows. Because Word and
WordPerfect both have File menues in their toolbar, you figure they
must have identical entries? They are different programs.

> They have nothing whatsoever to do with drivers.

Yeah, so what? Just because you wear tighty whities doesn't command
the rest of us to do so. As you already pointed out, they are
DIFFERENT operating systems. Duh. So, in UNIX, what does the
/etc/issue file have to do with drivers? Absolutely NOTHING as it is
the welcome message when you login under UNIX. Guess you'll have to
reread that "UNIX for Dummies" book or actually do some more
self-education on UNIX.

> In particular I'm looking at /etc/hosts which alows you to put in
> lines like
>
> 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com
>
> and then access http://rhino.acme.com/whatever.html
>
> even though there's no such domain defined on the internet.

So what? There is no requirement the domain be registered or defined
anywhere. You haven't a clue what the hosts file is for, do you? The
hosts file is a local lookup. Wherever you use the IP name results in
that local lookup to whatever IP address was specified. You could
have:

209.130.140.202 ignorant.OSuser.isMe

and entering http://ignorant.OSuser.isMe would take you to
www.eidosgames.com (their IP name for their 209.130.140.202 IP
address). Maybe those "UNIX for Dummies" and "Windows for Dummies"
books omitted educating their readers on just what is the hosts file.
Have a read at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

why? 12-12-2006 06:33 PM

Re: Just out of curiosity

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 06:51:28 -0500, Tester wrote:

>Why are some of the files found in /etc in Unix found in
>C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc in XP?
>
>They have nothing whatsoever to do with drivers.

Ask Microsoft, you will note there are several UNIX type things in
Windows. Like /etc/hosts (UNIX) , where MS simply added system32\drivers
in front. The other was the vertical adjustment bar in NT3/4 user
manager, just like several Unix systems. IIRC bits of the TCP/IP were
from BSD, there were quite a few things but it's been years since I had
a list. The internal references to devices like hardisks was another,
\Device\HardDisk0\Partition1, very similar to /dev/rdsk/

You didn't even need to have a SCSI device, that's the convention used.

boot.ini was ARC, RISC PC naming conventions.

It would be drivers anyway, related to TCP/IP driver.

>In particular I'm looking at /etc/hosts which alows you to put in
>lines like
>
>102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com

That would be the commented out example
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

>and then access http://rhino.acme.com/whatever.html

Where are you going with this?

>even though there's no such domain defined on the internet.

That's good for an example, so it doesn't block a real domain you may
want to connect to.

Me