Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Email problem... (finding host) ??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t478656-email-problem-finding-host.html)

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com 12-09-2006 02:48 PM

Email problem... (finding host) ???
 
I have a dial-up connection which, for the most part, I don't mind. I
never get disconnected and although web surfing is very slow it is at
least consistent.

What's not consistent is my email. I use Outlook Express for my pop3
email however often when I'm either sending or receiving email....
sometimes I have to wait anywhere from 10 seconds to as much as a
minute while it says (FINDING HOST). This gets so frustrating and I am
just trying to figure out if it's MY COMPUTER... or server side
related?

Another thing that I hate. I'll be in the middle of sending an email
with a decent size attachment and I will get a message saying the
SERVER UNEXPECTEDLY DISCONNECTED.... or something to that efffect.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have had dial-up for about 7
years, and these issues were never the case until the last few months.

Thanks in advance

D.


mansoorm 12-09-2006 03:22 PM

Re: Email problem... (finding host) ???
 
For he first part, finding server, I will recommend using a more
powerful DNS server. Goto your internet connection properties and set
the DNS to some free DNS server. see opendns.com for details

David_nj_7@mailbolt.com wrote:
> I have a dial-up connection which, for the most part, I don't mind. I
> never get disconnected and although web surfing is very slow it is at
> least consistent.
>
> What's not consistent is my email. I use Outlook Express for my pop3
> email however often when I'm either sending or receiving email....
> sometimes I have to wait anywhere from 10 seconds to as much as a
> minute while it says (FINDING HOST). This gets so frustrating and I am
> just trying to figure out if it's MY COMPUTER... or server side
> related?
>
> Another thing that I hate. I'll be in the middle of sending an email
> with a decent size attachment and I will get a message saying the
> SERVER UNEXPECTEDLY DISCONNECTED.... or something to that efffect.
>
> Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have had dial-up for about 7
> years, and these issues were never the case until the last few months.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> D.



Bucky Breeder 12-09-2006 03:24 PM

Re: Email problem... (finding host) ???
 
David_nj_7@mailbolt.com wrote in news:1165675718.699035.130340
@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I have a dial-up connection which, for the most part, I don't mind. I
> never get disconnected and although web surfing is very slow it is at
> least consistent.
>
> What's not consistent is my email. I use Outlook Express for my pop3
> email however often when I'm either sending or receiving email....
> sometimes I have to wait anywhere from 10 seconds to as much as a
> minute while it says (FINDING HOST). This gets so frustrating and I am
> just trying to figure out if it's MY COMPUTER... or server side
> related?
>
> Another thing that I hate. I'll be in the middle of sending an email
> with a decent size attachment and I will get a message saying the
> SERVER UNEXPECTEDLY DISCONNECTED.... or something to that efffect.
>
> Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have had dial-up for about 7
> years, and these issues were never the case until the last few months.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> D.



It's just a dial-up thing(s). Could be your ISP is getting larger, or
adding lines and/or servers... More people = more computers = more traffic
and the slower connections have more of a proclivity to get timed-out.



Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous holiday season.

--

"Despair" is like a cable that has been buried -
just under the surface of the ground.

You pull it up and pull it up, but that cable just keeps right on going...
through your front yard, through your back yard, clear across a field...
until finally, you come to a bunch of guys who are burying the cable.
Then just walk right up to them and go, "Hey - have you seen Fred?"
And they'll say, "Fred? Fred who?" And you say, "Fred of snakes?"
Then - cover your ears, because some big laughs are about to happen.

Reid Decker 12-11-2006 05:03 AM

Re: Email problem... (finding host) ???
 
I think you need to call your ISP and bitch at them.
<David_nj_7@mailbolt.com> wrote in message
news:1165675718.699035.130340@j72g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
>I have a dial-up connection which, for the most part, I don't mind. I
> never get disconnected and although web surfing is very slow it is at
> least consistent.
>
> What's not consistent is my email. I use Outlook Express for my pop3
> email however often when I'm either sending or receiving email....
> sometimes I have to wait anywhere from 10 seconds to as much as a
> minute while it says (FINDING HOST). This gets so frustrating and I am
> just trying to figure out if it's MY COMPUTER... or server side
> related?
>
> Another thing that I hate. I'll be in the middle of sending an email
> with a decent size attachment and I will get a message saying the
> SERVER UNEXPECTEDLY DISCONNECTED.... or something to that efffect.
>
> Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have had dial-up for about 7
> years, and these issues were never the case until the last few months.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> D.
>





All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.