Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can I improve my XP outlook Express for pictures? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t478542-can-i-improve-my-xp-outlook-express-for-pictures.html)

David 12-06-2006 09:03 AM

Can I improve my XP outlook Express for pictures?

When recieving pictures in Newsgroups, think technical term is binaries,
some are OK but others just charactors all mixed up.
As I thought it might be my ISPs news server I opened another news server
and the same happens.
I've contacted Microsoft Help but they will not help unless I pay them!
They say I should contact my computer maker if I want support.

Anyway anyone here able to help me improve my OE?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

sittingduck 12-06-2006 09:14 AM

Re: Can I improve my XP outlook Express for pictures?

David wrote:

> When recieving pictures in Newsgroups, think technical term is binaries,
> some are OK but others just charactors all mixed up.
> As I thought it might be my ISPs news server I opened another news server
> and the same happens.
> I've contacted Microsoft Help but they will not help unless I pay them!
> They say I should contact my computer maker if I want support.
>
> Anyway anyone here able to help me improve my OE?

Dump it in favor of a real newsreader.

Mike Easter 12-06-2006 09:14 AM

David wrote:
> When recieving pictures in Newsgroups, think technical term is
> binaries, some are OK but others just charactors all mixed up.
> As I thought it might be my ISPs news server I opened another news
> server and the same happens.
> I've contacted Microsoft Help but they will not help unless I pay
> them! They say I should contact my computer maker if I want support.
>
> Anyway anyone here able to help me improve my OE?

OE cannot natively decode yEncoded binaries which are popular in binary
newsgroups.

You have several options. You can use a newsreader which can natively
de-yEnc, of which there are many^1. You can use the free or pay
yProxy^2. Or you can combine the yEnc attachments with OE and decode
the file with a de-yEnc^3.

^1 http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html Windows Newsreaders:
^2 http://www.yproxy.com/ Works with any newsreader - The easiest yEnc
decoder - Wizard for Outlook Express ^3 http://www.yenc.org/ What is
yEnc ? - User questions, FAQ - Programs (tools) and sites which support
yEnc

--
Mike Easter

David 12-06-2006 10:43 AM

"Barry OGrady" <god_free_jones@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:03:17 GMT, "David" <david.park@tesco.net> wrote:
>
>>When recieving pictures in Newsgroups, think technical term is binaries,
>>some are OK but others just charactors all mixed up.
>>As I thought it might be my ISPs news server I opened another news server
>>and the same happens.
>>I've contacted Microsoft Help but they will not help unless I pay them!
>>They say I should contact my computer maker if I want support.
>>
>>Anyway anyone here able to help me improve my OE?

> Reccommend you uninstall OE and use a newsreader.

Which do you recommend?
But don't these have to be bought?

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

The Old Sourdough 12-06-2006 11:07 AM

Re: Can I improve my XP outlook Express for pictures?

"David" <david.park@tesco.net> wrote in

> "Barry OGrady" <god_free_jones@yahoo.com> wrote in message

msnip

>> Reccommend you uninstall OE and use a newsreader.
>>

> Which do you recommend?
> But don't these have to be bought?

There are plenty of free newsreaders around. Xnews, XanaNews, Dialog,
Free Agent, to name a few of the most popular for Windows.

--
The Old Sourdough
theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

Barry OGrady 12-06-2006 11:11 AM

Re: Can I improve my XP outlook Express for pictures?

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:03:17 GMT, "David" <david.park@tesco.net> wrote:

>When recieving pictures in Newsgroups, think technical term is binaries,
>some are OK but others just charactors all mixed up.
>As I thought it might be my ISPs news server I opened another news server
>and the same happens.
>I've contacted Microsoft Help but they will not help unless I pay them!
>They say I should contact my computer maker if I want support.
>
>Anyway anyone here able to help me improve my OE?

Reccommend you uninstall OE and use a newsreader.

>--
>Regards,
>David
>
>Please reply to News Group

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Gordon 12-06-2006 01:12 PM

Barry OGrady wrote:

> Reccommend you uninstall OE and use a newsreader.

If the OP is using Windows XP (which is highly possible from his headers)
then he *CAN'T* uninstall OE.

Bucky Breeder 12-06-2006 01:28 PM

Re: Can I improve my XP outlook Express for pictures?

"David" <david.park@tesco.net> wrote in news:pHvdh.884$Qa6.89@newsfe6-
gui.ntli.net:

> When recieving pictures in Newsgroups, think technical term is binaries,
> some are OK but others just charactors all mixed up.
> As I thought it might be my ISPs news server I opened another news server
> and the same happens.
> I've contacted Microsoft Help but they will not help unless I pay them!
> They say I should contact my computer maker if I want support.
>
> Anyway anyone here able to help me improve my OE?

Hello David.

Go here - and it's very free:

http://www.yenc32.com/

Have a look at the tutorials, and perhaps drag a bookmark (the IE icon in
the address window of your browser) from there to your desktop for easy
reference the first few times you do the "OE binary dance" - and pictures
is a very good place to start, I might add. A "training exercise" as it
were, because if you're like most folks, you'll enjoy it and want to try
more complicated things, for which you will most assuredly desire to obtain
and learn a specialty newsreader - in your own time. And there are several
decent ones available for free. Using the Yenc tool above will help you
understand how to download and assemble some of the more complicated
binaries later. But, you will see this in due time. Good luck, and most
of all, enjoy!

To me boxing is like a ballet,
except there's no music,
no choreography,
and the dancers hit each other
until the loser cries like a little girl,
or does that whole go-to-sleep thing.

Some people would do anything to get out of finishing the dance.

Ebeneezer Ponder 12-06-2006 01:34 PM

Re: Can I improve my XP outlook Express for pictures?

Hiya Gordon.

I see you also speak total *******s ;)

From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263837

"Remove Outlook Express 6.0 from Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP
Professional.
a. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
b. In Add or Remove Programs, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
c. In the Components list, click to clear the Outlook Express check
box, and then click Next. Outlook Express will be removed from the
computer."

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
Bah humbug - Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811

Gordon 12-06-2006 01:48 PM

Ebeneezer Ponder wrote:

> Hiya Gordon.
>
> In <news:4tntreF14evieU1@mid.individual.net> you wrote:
>
>>> Reccommend you uninstall OE and use a newsreader.

>> If the OP is using Windows XP (which is highly possible from his headers)
>> then he *CAN'T* uninstall OE.

> I see you also speak total *******s ;)
>
> From: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263837
>
> "Remove Outlook Express 6.0 from Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP
> Professional.
> a. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
> b. In Add or Remove Programs, click Add/Remove Windows Components.
> c. In the Components list, click to clear the Outlook Express check
> box, and then click Next. Outlook Express will be removed from the
> computer."

And you speak even MORE total CRAP. All that does, if you take the time to
READ THE DIALOG - is to remove ACCESS to OE. It does NOT, I REPEAT NOT,
uninstall it.
What a ****ING PLONKER YOU ARE.