Velocity Reviews

-   -   longhorn (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t47811-longhorn.html)

showgun 12-08-2003 01:30 PM

longhorn

can anyone help me put with a copy of longhorn to have a
look around, and i know, i dont need any critisisim

Dippi 12-08-2003 02:19 PM

longhorn

A consultant guy here has it, the UI looks friggen cool,
all Vector based ... bye bye BMP'ed graphical UI .... very
cool looking O/S fo sho.

Brian 12-08-2003 04:47 PM

Re: longhorn

"showgun" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> and i know, i dont need any critisisim

Yes, but you'll probably get it anyway.

Paul Lynch 12-08-2003 07:18 PM

Re: longhorn

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 06:19:31 -0800, "Dippi"

>A consultant guy here has it, the UI looks friggen cool,
>all Vector based ... bye bye BMP'ed graphical UI .... very
>cool looking O/S fo sho.

Consultant has a copy ?

I bet he got it off some wArEz site then :-0

Regards,

Paul Lynch
MCSE

Consultant 12-08-2003 08:03 PM

Re: longhorn

bit torrent ;-)

Larry Samuels MS-MVP XP \(Shell/User\) 12-08-2003 08:08 PM

Re: longhorn

Hehehe--so do I, but mine is legit <G>

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at

Andrew Lomakin 12-09-2003 09:34 AM

Re: longhorn

LH is still too far from final...installed it recently on some MS VM 2004,
it sure ran slow as [censored] but still some interesting features are
in...will keep hunting for new builds.

Glenn 12-09-2003 05:40 PM

Re: longhorn

I ported our application, which is very large imaging application to LH. The
port to Whidbey and LH went smooth and I noticed a substantial performance
improvement. I sure hate waiting for the release version of Longhorn to
deploy my ported app.
LH and Whidbey is a giant leap forward.
Glenn MCNGP #16

Andrew Lomakin 12-10-2003 07:53 AM

Re: longhorn

wtf is whidbey?
and LH is GODDAMN slow.
have you ever looked at task manager after a couple of hours of working in
LH?
it's leaking memory as a barrel that has been shot at with a shotgun.

Glenn 12-10-2003 05:57 PM

Re: longhorn

First you should realize that Longhorn is ALPHA and won't even be in BETA
until sometime next year.
As you would expect for software in ALPHA, there is debug software in the
current build. If you go to the LH site, you will find
a list of configuration changes you can make to LH to make it perform quite
well.
I was at the PDC and spent a week listening to the developers of LH and
Whidbey. (Whidbey is Visual Studio 8 for Longhorn). I was and remain very
impressed.
I ported my company's app and demo'd it at a very large conference late last
month and got rave reviews.
One very common comment I received was the impressive performance of our
application running on Longhorn.
I also have noticed nothing unusual in the Task Manager regarding memory
leakage. You must remember that Longhorn has the .NET framework embedded in
the operating system. The .NET framework memory model is different than
that of the older (unmanaged) memory model and can deceive you into thinking
you have a memory leak when you do not.
As I discovered with 2003, placing .NET in the operating system yields a 10
fold performance improvement for .NET applications.
I saw the same improvement with Longhorn.
Thanks,
Glenn