Velocity Reviews

-   -   Widescreen monitor? Or not? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t477910-widescreen-monitor-or-not.html)

Joe 11-17-2006 06:13 PM

Widescreen monitor? Or not?

I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy a
widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I view
my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader in
widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
Just a thought.

Joe.

Meat Plow 11-17-2006 06:41 PM

Re: Widescreen monitor? Or not?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:13:08 +0000, Joe Has Frothed:

> I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy a
> widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I view
> my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader in
> widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
> widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
> Just a thought.

Won't look like a tv. You get visual distorion when you watch tv broadcast
in 4:3 aspect on a tv set to 16:9. Your tv might have a "format" setting
to allow you to watch 4:3 broadcasts without distortion however you'll
have blank screen on each side.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Walter Mautner 11-17-2006 07:30 PM

Joe wrote:

> I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy a
> widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I
> view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader in
> widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
> widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
> Just a thought.

If you use your pc to watch movies, or prefer landscape format for your
pictures, or you want to view 2 full pages on one screen, you may want to
buy a widescreen. Take care of the actual resolution: a normal 19" screen
usually offers 1280x1024 resolution, while some "widescreens" only have
1280x960 or something alike.

Joe 11-17-2006 08:04 PM

"Walter Mautner" <nodeleaf.20.eatallspam@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> Joe wrote:
>
>> I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy
>> widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I
>> view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader
>> in
>> widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
>> widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
>> Just a thought.
>>

> If you use your pc to watch movies, or prefer landscape format for your
> pictures, or you want to view 2 full pages on one screen, you may want to
> buy a widescreen. Take care of the actual resolution: a normal 19" screen
> usually offers 1280x1024 resolution, while some "widescreens" only have
> 1280x960 or something alike.
>
> --
> vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
> on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
> incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
> Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

I just tried those two resolutions on my own pc here at home, and the
difference is one which makes me wonder what would happen if I did the same
thing whilst actually using a widescreen monitor. Hmm.

Thanks.
Joe.

DanR 11-17-2006 11:50 PM

Joe wrote:
> "Walter Mautner" <nodeleaf.20.eatallspam@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
> message news:s6f134-rf9.ln1@Woodpecker.woodpecker.fdns.net...
>> Joe wrote:
>>
>>> I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I
>>> should buy a
>>> widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that
>>> when I view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and
>>> fatter/broader in
>>> widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
>>> widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
>>> Just a thought.
>>>

>> If you use your pc to watch movies, or prefer landscape format for
>> your pictures, or you want to view 2 full pages on one screen, you
>> may want to buy a widescreen. Take care of the actual resolution: a
>> normal 19" screen usually offers 1280x1024 resolution, while some
>> "widescreens" only have 1280x960 or something alike.
>>
>> --
>> vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin
>> patterns on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
>> incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
>> Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

> I just tried those two resolutions on my own pc here at home, and the
> difference is one which makes me wonder what would happen if I did
> the same thing whilst actually using a widescreen monitor. Hmm.
>
> Thanks.
> Joe.

1680x1050 is a common wide screen aspect. Note that the dimensions are
measured diagonally. So a 19 inch 4x3 monitor will be taller than a 19 inch
wide screen.

Carol2 11-21-2006 02:26 AM

"Joe" <NoMail@qpwoeiruty.com> wrote in message
news:UYm7h.139953$3x1.38238@fe1.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
>I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy a
>widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I view
>my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader in
>widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
>widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
> Just a thought.
>
> Joe.

I had to replace my system this fall due to age-related HD failure & went
with a OTC brand-name this time. I had an option to upgrade to a 19" wide
screen & asked similar questions. The knowledgable salesperson assured me
that I would be pleased with the upgrade, showed me some in-store
models.....& he was right. This TFT LCD monitor is 10" x 16", & I Love the
added width for graphics editing, etc. If you use spreadsheets, it would be
another plus.......much less scrolling. 8^)

Carol2

Jack Gillis 11-21-2006 10:51 AM

"Carol2" <walderac@NSwah.midco.net> wrote in message

> "Joe" <NoMail@qpwoeiruty.com> wrote in message
> news:UYm7h.139953$3x1.38238@fe1.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
>>I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy a
>>widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I
>>view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader in
>>widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
>>widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
>> Just a thought.
>>
>> Joe.

> I had to replace my system this fall due to age-related HD failure & went
> with a OTC brand-name this time. I had an option to upgrade to a 19" wide
> screen & asked similar questions. The knowledgable salesperson assured me
> that I would be pleased with the upgrade, showed me some in-store
> models.....& he was right. This TFT LCD monitor is 10" x 16", & I Love
> the added width for graphics editing, etc. If you use spreadsheets, it
> would be another plus.......much less scrolling. 8^)
>
> Carol2

Carol,

Like Joe asked, I wonder if the wide screen distorts images. On my laptop
wide screen, any site that displays a circle gets that circle displayed as
an oval. Likewise, a square becomes a rectangle. Does that happen on your
wide screen?

Jack

Bucky Breeder 11-21-2006 05:02 PM

Re: Widescreen monitor? Or not?

"Jack Gillis" really posted this

> "Carol2" <walderac@NSwah.midco.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Joe" <NoMail@qpwoeiruty.com> wrote in message
>> news:UYm7h.139953$3x1.38238@fe1.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
>>>I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should
>>>buy a widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that
>>>when I view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and
>>>fatter/broader in widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect
>>>be present on a widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos,
>>>videos etc.,.?
>>> Just a thought.
>>>
>>> Joe.

>> I had to replace my system this fall due to age-related HD failure &
>> went with a OTC brand-name this time. I had an option to upgrade to a
>> 19" wide screen & asked similar questions. The knowledgable
>> salesperson assured me that I would be pleased with the upgrade, showed
>> me some in-store models.....& he was right. This TFT LCD monitor is
>> 10" x 16", & I Love the added width for graphics editing, etc. If you
>> use spreadsheets, it would be another plus.......much less scrolling.
>> 8^)
>>
>> Carol2
>>

> Carol,
>
> Like Joe asked, I wonder if the wide screen distorts images. On my
> laptop wide screen, any site that displays a circle gets that circle
> displayed as an oval. Likewise, a square becomes a rectangle. Does
> that happen on your wide screen?
>
> Jack

It doesn't on any of mine.

This is just too complicated to explain...

It's a video card-receives-and-interprets signal thang - combined with a
web-site's code. If a website is coded correctly and you have a correct
[almost any recent] video card, your video is not distorted. Sometimes it
is. Sometimes computing is erratic. Sometimes, in your value-system's
reality-based space-time-continuum, Bill Gates is *just* /screwing/ with
*you*!

Two for those who can roll: 1) Don't ya think there'd be hoards of
screaming consumers with wide screens that make nekkid pikktures of their
wives look even fatter? And, 2) just go get one from Circuit City or Wal
Mart [after the pagan holidaze, of course] or anyone with a money-back
policy and try it!

Then post back here and tell us all about it. If you're unhappy, maybe I'll
start a PayPal fund and get you re-imbursed for your petrol costs - and buy
your lunch too.

--

To me, truth is not some vague and/or foggy notion.
Truth *is* real! And, at the same time - unreal.

This is "truth," to me.

Carol2 11-22-2006 01:58 AM

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message

> "Carol2" <walderac@NSwah.midco.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Joe" <NoMail@qpwoeiruty.com> wrote in message
>> news:UYm7h.139953$3x1.38238@fe1.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
>>>I am buying a new flat panel monitor, 19"", and wondered if I should buy
>>>a widescreen or a "square" type. The reason I am not sure is that when I
>>>view my widescreen television, everyone look smaller and fatter/broader
>>>in widescreen than in "normal" mode. Would this effect be present on a
>>>widescreen monitor also? i.e. when viewing photos, videos etc.,.?
>>> Just a thought.
>>>
>>> Joe.

>> I had to replace my system this fall due to age-related HD failure & went
>> with a OTC brand-name this time. I had an option to upgrade to a 19"
>> wide screen & asked similar questions. The knowledgable salesperson
>> assured me that I would be pleased with the upgrade, showed me some
>> in-store models.....& he was right. This TFT LCD monitor is 10" x 16", &
>> I Love the added width for graphics editing, etc. If you use
>> spreadsheets, it would be another plus.......much less scrolling. 8^)
>>
>> Carol2
>>

> Carol,
>
> Like Joe asked, I wonder if the wide screen distorts images. On my
> laptop wide screen, any site that displays a circle gets that circle
> displayed as an oval. Likewise, a square becomes a rectangle. Does that
> happen on your wide screen?
>
> Jack

That's what I was trying to say, Jack......in my reference to graphics (&
pic) editing. 8^) There is no distortion.....at least none that I have
been able to find. The system is a Gateway with Gateway FPD1975W TFT LCD
Monitor (Widescreen 1440x900 resolution). My previous (1 yr. old)
flat-screen CRT monitor had some definite 'warping' problems, that I was
Never able to clear up. Truly.....I had myself convinced that I would not
like a LCD monitor (much less a wide screen, due to the distortion problems
you mention & that I have witnessed on wide-screen TVs), but I DO love this
screen & would purchase another. In fact, I can't Imagine going back to my
old monitor. Also.....due to window placements & lighting, I had a definite
problem with the CRT screen. That is gone now. 8^)

BTW....I note that you are referring to a laptop. I don't know anything
about that, as I don't own one......but Have worked with a couple & haven't
noticed the problem on them either. Perhaps, you need to check your
monitor's settings? (Refer to documentation)

Carol2