Velocity Reviews

-   -   DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t47766-dns-question-recursive-vs-iterative.html)

SWE 12-03-2003 08:40 PM

DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative

Can someone give me a clear explanation (or point me to a resource on the
Internet) of the difference between recursive and iterative? I've looked it
up in a couple of books and on the web, but I'm still fuzzy on the topic.
Thanks.

kpg 12-03-2003 09:02 PM

Re: DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative

I can give you a progrmmmer's definition of those terms, but I would ask in
what context are you referring to?

recursive - repeating a number of times by re-entering (re-calling) itself
itertive - repeating a number of time by looping (within itself)

(obviously these are not 'technical' definitions...)

recursion is elegent (providing simple code to seemingly complex problems)
but memory intensive

kpg 12-03-2003 09:05 PM

Re: DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative

i am insane

There are three types of queries that a client can make to a DNS server,
recursive, iterative, and inverse.

Recursive queries
In a recursive query, the queried name server is petitioned to respond with
the requested data or with an error stating that data of the requested type
or the domain name specified doesn't exist. The name server cannot just
refer the querier to a different name server.

This type of query is typically done by a DNS client (a resolver) to a DNS
server. Also, if a DNS server is configured to use a forwarder, the request
from this DNS server to its forwarder will be a recursive query.

Iterative queries
In an iterative query, the queried name server gives the best answer it
currently has back to the querier. This type of query is typically done by a
DNS server to other DNS servers after it has received a recursive query from
a resolver.

SWE 12-03-2003 09:13 PM

Re: DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative

so it's not a matter of one or the other? a recursive query can turn into an
iterative query?

what happens if you disable recursion?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?= 12-03-2003 09:24 PM

SWE wrote:
> Can someone give me a clear explanation (or point me to a resource on
> the Internet) of the difference between recursive and iterative? I've
> looked it up in a couple of books and on the web, but I'm still fuzzy
> on the topic. Thanks.

DON'T ANYONE REPLY!

This is Swen, but he's very cleverly removed the "n" from his name!

This has been a public service announcement from the MCNGP.

--
Fris "We now return you to your usual drivel" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Consultant 12-03-2003 09:30 PM

Re: DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative

swen, you bastard

SWE 12-03-2003 09:32 PM

Re: DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative

Who the heck is Swen?

SWE 12-03-2003 09:32 PM

Re: DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative

I'm a girl you dingbat. Don't know who Swen is.

Jtyc 12-03-2003 09:39 PM

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...swen.a@mm.html

kpg 12-03-2003 09:39 PM

Re: DNS Question: Recursive vs. Iterative

see:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ks.htm?id=1945