Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mp3 repair...How? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t477503-mp3-repair-how.html)

jhewitt@arrakis.es 11-06-2006 05:01 PM

Mp3 repair...How?

One Mp3 file of a total of nineteen files, appears to be broken.
The file series are an Audio book.

Using Mp3 players on my PC [ WMP and Foobar 2000 ] all files but one
play just fine.
The "bad" mp3 file plays OK up to appx. the middle. At that point the
play jumps to the next Mp3 file in the series.

I used one or two Mp3 repair programs, but no joy [ Not surprising
since most repairer programs refer to a no play problem occurring at
the beginning of the file- not part way along]

Can anyone suggest a solution to the problem, please.

Thank you
John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain
John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

and3w 11-06-2006 06:00 PM

Re: Mp3 repair...How?

<jhewitt@arrakis.es> wrote in message
> One Mp3 file of a total of nineteen files, appears to be broken.
> The file series are an Audio book.
>
> Using Mp3 players on my PC [ WMP and Foobar 2000 ] all files but one
> play just fine.
> The "bad" mp3 file plays OK up to appx. the middle. At that point the
> play jumps to the next Mp3 file in the series.
>
> I used one or two Mp3 repair programs, but no joy [ Not surprising
> since most repairer programs refer to a no play problem occurring at
> the beginning of the file- not part way along]
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution to the problem, please.
>
> Thank you
> John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain
> John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

Don't know if it will work, but the best program I know to PLAY damaged
media files is VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html
plays virtually everything, including partial torrent files, and has allowed
me to play 'damaged' files, as you describe, with just a bit of static for a
second or two.
HTH..

philo 11-07-2006 12:03 AM

Re: Mp3 repair...How?

> Don't know if it will work, but the best program I know to PLAY damaged
> media files is VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html
> plays virtually everything, including partial torrent files, and has

allowed
> me to play 'damaged' files, as you describe, with just a bit of static for

> second or two.
> HTH..

Yep

VLC seems to be able to render most anything!

thanatoid 11-07-2006 06:26 AM

Re: Mp3 repair...How?

jhewitt@arrakis.es wrote in

> One Mp3 file of a total of nineteen files, appears to be
> broken. The file series are an Audio book.
>
> Using Mp3 players on my PC [ WMP and Foobar 2000 ] all
> files but one play just fine.
> The "bad" mp3 file plays OK up to appx. the middle. At that
> point the play jumps to the next Mp3 file in the series.
>
> I used one or two Mp3 repair programs, but no joy [ Not
> surprising since most repairer programs refer to a no play
> problem occurring at the beginning of the file- not part
> way along]
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution to the problem, please.
>
> Thank you
> John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain
> John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

I've tried several mp3 "repair tools". They did nothing or made
the file worse.

I use VLC for video and have never tried to play mp3 through it.
However, when I once tried to play a damaged video, it offered
to repair it. The video was corrupted beyond repair, so I just
deleted it.
VLC might well be able to "fix" mp3 files. Try it, it's free.

You can always ask for a repost of the damaged segment, or try
to fix the files with QuickPar, assuming PAR files were
provided. Some people ALWAYS provide them, some never do. It's
an ongoing argument.