Velocity Reviews

-   -   problems with ADSL using a telephone extension socket (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t477476-problems-with-adsl-using-a-telephone-extension-socket.html)

rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com 11-05-2006 10:23 PM

problems with ADSL using a telephone extension socket

I have my computer linked to a telephone extension cable in my flat eg
the main telephone socket is in the hallway and my computer sits on a
desk in the lounge. I got ADSL about a year ago and had no problems
but starting about three months ago I was finding that the speedtouch
modem was not working when connected to the the telephone extension
socket and only worked when I plugged into the main telephone socket so
I have to sit on the floor by the main phone socket with my laptop to
go online! Also at the same time I found that phone reception was very
poor and crackly even when I was not using broadband and this only got
better when I plugged the phone into the main socket. Although I don't
understand why everything worked for so long without problems I have
come to the conclusion that the problem is the telephone extension
cable and socket. I hae an IBM thinkpad r50e running windows XP. I
understand that I have two options
to get a hub compatible with speedtouch modem and wifi card which will
cost together about 70.
to get an ethernet cable in place of the current normal telephone
extension cable. I don't know how much this is.
What do you recommend?

Many thanks

Matthew

Norm 11-05-2006 10:39 PM

Re: problems with ADSL using a telephone extension socket

<rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com> wrote in message
news:1162765422.823610.259990@b28g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
[...]

Buy a new phone extension for about 5. Why pay out far more than you need
to? If you want to do that to cover a very small distance, buy an ADSL
modem/router or one with wireless and hook that up. It still doesn't solve
the problem of the extension. If you want ethernet cable look in any DIY
place or online computer shop. Again, that doesn't solve the problem.
Why don't you want to fit a new phone extension?

G. Morgan 11-05-2006 10:59 PM

On 5 Nov 2006 14:23:42 -0800, rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com wrote:

>What do you recommend?

Clean up your phone wiring. Have just one pair of the telco cable
feeding the DSL modem (unfiltered) and use the other pair for house
phones (that are filtered with one DSL filter when it comes into the
house).

--

-Graham
(remove the double e's to email)

Whiskers 11-06-2006 12:13 AM

On 2006-11-05, rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com <rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com> wrote:
> I have my computer linked to a telephone extension cable in my flat eg
> the main telephone socket is in the hallway and my computer sits on a
> desk in the lounge. I got ADSL about a year ago and had no problems
> but starting about three months ago I was finding that the speedtouch
> modem was not working when connected to the the telephone extension
> socket and only worked when I plugged into the main telephone socket so
> I have to sit on the floor by the main phone socket with my laptop to
> go online! Also at the same time I found that phone reception was very
> poor and crackly even when I was not using broadband and this only got
> better when I plugged the phone into the main socket. Although I don't
> understand why everything worked for so long without problems I have
> come to the conclusion that the problem is the telephone extension
> cable and socket. I hae an IBM thinkpad r50e running windows XP. I
> understand that I have two options
> to get a hub compatible with speedtouch modem and wifi card which will
> cost together about 70.
> to get an ethernet cable in place of the current normal telephone
> extension cable. I don't know how much this is.
> What do you recommend?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Matthew

Is there an 'ADSL Splitter' or 'ADSL filter' anywhere? Have you tried
replacing it? (They're cheap, and they do go wrong, and you do need at
least one). How many telephones etc are running off that main socket?
Have you tried replacing the telephone extension lead? How long is that
extension?

It may be worth getting a 'heavy duty' DSL connection cable to go from
your ADSL 'modem' to the ADSL Filter plugged directly into the main
telephone socket, and run the telephone extension from the telephone
socket in that same filter. Maplin's is a good place to get such things,
or a local independent computer shop. (Some large chains over-charge
horribly for the little essentials such as splitters and cables - shop
around!).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com 11-06-2006 09:17 PM

Re: problems with ADSL using a telephone extension socket

Thanks Whiskers
OK yes I forgot to mention the two ADSL filters. I use one at the main
telephone socket (normally just the telephone extension socket plugs
into this and I use one at the other end of the phone extension cable
where I used to plug my speed touch in). At the moment I am plugging
my modem into the filter plugged into the main phone socket at it works
fine. I really don't think the problem is the filter as I have changed
the filters around and still been unable to use the modem when it is
plugged into the extension socket. I only have one telephone running
off the main socket - it is a wireless phone. The pnone lead plugs
into the socket at the beginning of the extension cable, this socket
plugs into the filter which plugs into the main telephone socket.
Even if I got a heavy duty DSL connection cable to go from ADSL modem
to filter I cannot see how that will make a difference. The telepone
extension will still be plugged into the same filter and the problem is
at the other end of the extension cable 15 metres away not with the

rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com 11-06-2006 09:21 PM

Re: problems with ADSL using a telephone extension socket

Thanks Norm
The telephone extension cable is 15 metres. I have tried putting in a
new telephone extension cable and it made absolutely no difference. I
am not sure why you think replacing the phone extension cable with an
ethernet cable would not solve the problem?

rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com 11-06-2006 09:27 PM

Re: problems with ADSL using a telephone extension socket

Oh dear you've lost me on this one! I assume you are saying take away
the ADSL filter which is at the end of the 15 metre phone extension
cable but how then do I plug the modem into a phone socket? The end
of the cable from modem to filter doesn't fit in a phone socket it only
fits in a filter. I have always understood that I need filters at both
ends if using an extension cable eg computer - modem - filter -
extension cable - filter - main socket. At the moment I am bypassing
this by having computer - modem - filter - main socket....... >

Whiskers 11-06-2006 11:09 PM

On 2006-11-06, rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com <rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there an 'ADSL Splitter' or 'ADSL filter' anywhere? Have you tried
>> replacing it? (They're cheap, and they do go wrong, and you do need at
>> least one). How many telephones etc are running off that main socket?
>> Have you tried replacing the telephone extension lead? How long is that
>> extension?

> Thanks Whiskers
> OK yes I forgot to mention the two ADSL filters. I use one at the main
> telephone socket (normally just the telephone extension socket plugs
> into this and I use one at the other end of the phone extension cable
> where I used to plug my speed touch in).

Do you mean that you have a DSL filter in the main socket, plug a
telephone extension cable into the 'telephone' socket on that, then put a
second DSL filter at the other end of the extension and connect the
"modem" to the 'internet' socket there? Like this:

(mono-spaced 'font' required)

| supplier's telephone line

= main phone socket
/ \ DSL filter
phone socket | | 'internet' socket not used

extension lead |

=
/ \ DSL filter
| |
phone socket | | 'internet' socket
| |
telephone < |

> DSL "Modem"

You won't get a DSL connection from that arrangement; the internet signal
has been filtered out before it gets to the 'modem'. Remove the DSL
filter at the main socket and plug the telephone extension lead directly
into that socket, then use one filter at the other end to split the
telephone and DSL signals.

The purpose of the DSL filter, is to isolate the low-frequency analogue
telephone signal from the high-frequency digital 'carrier', so that you
don't get lots of interference on the telephone. You seem to be trying to
use your DSL "modem" on a line which has had the DSL signal filtered out
already.

> At the moment I am plugging
> my modem into the filter plugged into the main phone socket at it works
> fine. I really don't think the problem is the filter as I have changed
> the filters around and still been unable to use the modem when it is
> plugged into the extension socket. I only have one telephone running
> off the main socket - it is a wireless phone. The pnone lead plugs
> into the socket at the beginning of the extension cable, this socket
> plugs into the filter which plugs into the main telephone socket.
>
>> It may be worth getting a 'heavy duty' DSL connection cable to go from
>> your ADSL 'modem' to the ADSL Filter plugged directly into the main
>> telephone socket, and run the telephone extension from the telephone
>> socket in that same filter. Maplin's is a good place to get such things,
>> or a local independent computer shop. (Some large chains over-charge
>> horribly for the little essentials such as splitters and cables - shop
>> around!).

> Even if I got a heavy duty DSL connection cable to go from ADSL modem
> to filter I cannot see how that will make a difference. The telepone
> extension will still be plugged into the same filter and the problem is
> at the other end of the extension cable 15 metres away not with the
> filter plugged into the main phone socket......

The trouble is not so much with the filter plugged into the main telephone
socket, as with the fact that you have two filters; /that/ is the problem.

This arrangement should work:

| supplier's telephone line

= main phone socket

15m extension lead |

=
/ \ DSL filter
| |
phone socket | | 'internet' socket
| |
telephone < |

> DSL 'Modem'

Or this one:

| supplier's telephone line

= main phone socket
/ \ DSL filter
phone socket | | 'internet' socket
| |
| |
15m extension lead | | 15m DSL lead
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
telephone < > DSL 'Modem'

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Whiskers 11-06-2006 11:14 PM

On 2006-11-06, rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com <rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com> wrote:
>> Buy a new phone extension for about 5. Why pay out far more than you need
>> to? If you want to do that to cover a very small distance, buy an ADSL
>> modem/router or one with wireless and hook that up. It still doesn't solve
>> the problem of the extension. If you want ethernet cable look in any DIY
>> place or online computer shop. Again, that doesn't solve the problem.
>> Why don't you want to fit a new phone extension?

> Thanks Norm
> The telephone extension cable is 15 metres. I have tried putting in a
> new telephone extension cable and it made absolutely no difference. I
> am not sure why you think replacing the phone extension cable with an
> ethernet cable would not solve the problem?

You can use an ethernet cable to connect your computer to the "modem", if
there are suitable connectors on both devices. You can't use an ethernet
cable to connect anything to either the telephone or 'internet' sockets on
the DSL filter.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

G. Morgan 11-07-2006 12:47 AM

On 6 Nov 2006 13:27:26 -0800, rosenmarsh@myfastmail.com wrote:

>Oh dear you've lost me on this one! I assume you are saying take away
>the ADSL filter which is at the end of the 15 metre phone extension
>cable but how then do I plug the modem into a phone socket? The end
>of the cable from modem to filter doesn't fit in a phone socket it only
>fits in a filter. I have always understood that I need filters at both
>ends if using an extension cable eg computer - modem - filter -
>extension cable - filter - main socket. At the moment I am bypassing
>this by having computer - modem - filter - main socket....... >

Okay.. You do not need two filters going to the same branch.

The best setup takes the phone line from the telco pole and goes right
to your modem.

Since phone cable has more than one pair, you can have one pair
(red/green or blue/blue-white) for your house phones which has a
filter and the second pair (yellow/black or orange/orange-white)
unfiltered to the modem. This connection would be made at the outside
of your house at the network interface, or whatever they call it over
there.

I realize this is technical for the end-user, I'm in the business so
it makes sense to me ;-)

I think your problem has to do with your physical phone wiring, so I'd
recommend you call a technician out to inspect your setup.

BTW-- using a "15 metre phone extension cable" is never a good idea.
They are cheap crap.