Velocity Reviews

-   -   which graphics card (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t477342-which-graphics-card.html)

mmzz 11-01-2006 09:59 PM

which graphics card

i have just brought my first computer game and now find (duh) that i
need a graphics card to run it.
After an intensive course on the cards i find there are different types
of cards, the old pci, agp and pcie, with different slots to install
them in
so far so good. but no amount of research on the internet will tell me
how i know what graphics slot i have (if any). i think my computer is
too recent to only have pci (its three years old) but what do i look
for to tell which slot i have. I seem to have two pci slots and one
(brown) above about the same dimensions which i suspect is an agp but
hope is pcie

tdstr 11-01-2006 10:09 PM

Re: which graphics card

mmzz wrote:
> i have just brought my first computer game and now find (duh) that i
> need a graphics card to run it.
> After an intensive course on the cards i find there are different types
> of cards, the old pci, agp and pcie, with different slots to install
> them in
> so far so good. but no amount of research on the internet will tell me
> how i know what graphics slot i have (if any). i think my computer is
> too recent to only have pci (its three years old) but what do i look
> for to tell which slot i have. I seem to have two pci slots and one
> (brown) above about the same dimensions which i suspect is an agp but
> hope is pcie

googlegooglegooglegoogle.... you get the idea :)

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/ca...p_pci_pcie.php

old man 11-01-2006 11:22 PM

Re: which graphics card

And presumably this PC is a no name brand?
I doubt its a pcie slot, almost certainly AGP.
And unless the rest of your PC is up to spec installing a hi spec pcie card
will not be advantageous.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html for info on what your hardware is

news:1162418379.087034.97200@h48g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...