Velocity Reviews

-   -   Large flat panel tv monitor as PC monitor (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t476939-large-flat-panel-tv-monitor-as-pc-monitor.html)

Ed 10-21-2006 11:10 PM

Large flat panel tv monitor as PC monitor

Is it possible ?

Evan Platt 10-21-2006 11:45 PM

Re: Large flat panel tv monitor as PC monitor

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 23:10:03 GMT, Ed <me@myhouse.com> wrote:

>Is it possible ?

Yes.

Depends on a number of factors - what input options you have on the
TV, and getting signal from the computer to the device.

Ed 10-22-2006 12:00 AM

Re: Large flat panel tv monitor as PC monitor

So I should look for a model with SVGA input and that should do it ?

Ed

ProfGene 10-22-2006 12:40 AM

Ed wrote:
> Is it possible ?

Unless it is high definition you will not get as good a picture because
a computer monitor has more pixels per square inch than a regular TV set
so the picture will not be as sharp.

Alan 10-22-2006 12:14 PM

Ed wrote:
> So I should look for a model with SVGA input and that should do it ?
>

> Ed
>
> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 16:45:03 -0700, Evan Platt
> <evan@*******************************> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 23:10:03 GMT, Ed <me@myhouse.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible ?

>> Yes.
>>
>> Depends on a number of factors - what input options you have on the
>> TV, and getting signal from the computer to the device.

Look for one that has a VGA input - or better yet, a DVI connector (You
may need to upgrade your video card for that)

why? 10-22-2006 03:15 PM

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 23:10:03 GMT, Ed wrote:

>Is it possible ?

Yes, simply if you buy one with DVI-D / RGB, the 28" Hitachi here does
1024x768 on DVI-D (the book does mention 1920x1080i 60Hz)and Analog VESA
1600x1200 (appears to be interlaced) 85Hz and the expected WXGA
1280x768.

You really need to read the manual of any panel you are interested

Me

Ron Martell 10-23-2006 07:31 AM

Ed <me@myhouse.com> wrote:

>Is it possible ?

You will want to get a TV that has computer video inputs, either a VGA
or DVI connector or both.

For best resolution and clarity the TV should support the 1080p video
standard. 1080i is reasonably good second best.

Our local Sears store has a 42 inch LCD TV connected as a second
monitor to their sales floor PC and they regularly use it to show
customers items from the Sears online shopping website.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service