Velocity Reviews

-   -   Avast anti-virus? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t476895-avast-anti-virus.html)

GrandpaChuck 10-20-2006 09:01 PM

Avast anti-virus?

How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?

Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Gordon 10-20-2006 09:06 PM

Re: Avast anti-virus?

GrandpaChuck wrote:

> How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?
>
> Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

It's been reported lately with several false positives....notably on some MS
pages ;-)

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
to email me invalidate the invalid!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 10-20-2006 09:11 PM

Re: Avast anti-virus?

GrandpaChuck wrote:

> How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?

As well as any other. Not all a-v programs catch everything, not even
the pay-for resource hogs.

Avast looks for updates every four hours if you are online like me with
a cable connection, and the update downloads are the absolute smallest
in the industry. There were two today, each around 12 Kilobytes.

> Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

Download the "free for home use" version. It remains free, though they
request you re-register it every fourteen months. That's a simple matter
of going back to their web page, filling in your info, and getting a new
key via email in a few minutes. You copy'n'paste this key into the
program.

It's a funky looking application. <g> but there are skins available.

I like "Lite-On" or "Flat'n'Simple".

--
-bts

GrandpaChuck 10-20-2006 11:53 PM

Re: Avast anti-virus?

Thank you. That is the information I was looking for.

GrandpaChuck 10-20-2006 11:54 PM

Re: Avast anti-virus?

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 22:06:06 +0100, Gordon
<gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>GrandpaChuck wrote:
>
>> How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?
>>
>> Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

>It's been reported lately with several false positives....notably on some MS
>pages ;-)

Thanks Gordon. I will be on the lookout for them and others like them.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

ProfGene 10-22-2006 12:09 AM

Re: Avast anti-virus?

GrandpaChuck wrote:
> How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?
>
> Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

It becomes very annoying after the trial period is over.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 10-22-2006 01:27 AM

Re: Avast anti-virus?

ProfGene wrote:

> GrandpaChuck wrote:
>> How does Avast anti-virus software compare to others?
>>
>> Does it remain free or do you have to buy after the trial period?

> It becomes very annoying after the trial period is over.

Prof, did you read my post? You register it for fourteen months, and it
doesn't annoy you at all. It is not a trial, it is free.

--
-bts