Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't open any sub-folders or load web-pages. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t476029-cant-open-any-sub-folders-or-load-web-pages.html)

English Patient 09-23-2006 02:49 AM

Can't open any sub-folders or load web-pages.

Have eMachine with WindowsXP

Can open My Documents fine but when I try to open a folder within My Documents
I get the following error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error !
Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
abnormal program termination

I can open any folder on My Desktop, or any shortcut to a folder I have on
My Desktop, but if I try to open any folders within the open one I get that
error message.

I've just gone to [tools] and [folder options] and changed the browse fodler options
from [open each folder in the same window] to [open each folder in its own window]
and I can now open 'sub' folders.

But when I try to load any web-favourites I get the error message.
Even when I type a web address I get the message.

I've just done a complete system restore (with backup) and the problem
went away, but now it is back.

Any ideas ???

EP.

English Patient 09-23-2006 03:11 AM

Re: Can't open any sub-folders or load web-pages. ps

"English Patient" <my_castle@the_edge_of_the_cliff.com> wrote:

>Have eMachine with WindowsXP
>
>Can open My Documents fine but when I try to open a folder within My Documents
>I get the following error message:
>
>Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>Runtime Error !
>Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
>abnormal program termination
>
>I can open any folder on My Desktop, or any shortcut to a folder I have on
>My Desktop, but if I try to open any folders within the open one I get that
>error message.
>
>I've just gone to [tools] and [folder options] and changed the browse fodler options
>from [open each folder in the same window] to [open each folder in its own window]
>and I can now open 'sub' folders.
>
>But when I try to load any web-favourites I get the error message.
>Even when I type a web address I get the message.
>
>I've just done a complete system restore (with backup) and the problem
>went away, but now it is back.
>
>Any ideas ???
>
>EP.

I've just found that by making a desktop shortcut to google I can successfully
open the webpage. And once I have this open I can use my favourites ok.
But trying to open a web-page directly from an open folder I get the error.

English Patient 09-23-2006 03:38 AM

Re: Can't open any sub-folders or load web-pages. ps. doh!

"English Patient" <my_castle@the_edge_of_the_cliff.com> wrote:

>"English Patient" <my_castle@the_edge_of_the_cliff.com> wrote:
>

>>Have eMachine with WindowsXP
>>
>>Can open My Documents fine but when I try to open a folder within My Documents
>>I get the following error message:
>>
>>Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>>Runtime Error !
>>Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
>>abnormal program termination
>>
>>I can open any folder on My Desktop, or any shortcut to a folder I have on
>>My Desktop, but if I try to open any folders within the open one I get that
>>error message.
>>
>>I've just gone to [tools] and [folder options] and changed the browse fodler options
>>from [open each folder in the same window] to [open each folder in its own window]
>>and I can now open 'sub' folders.
>>
>>But when I try to load any web-favourites I get the error message.
>>Even when I type a web address I get the message.
>>
>>I've just done a complete system restore (with backup) and the problem
>>went away, but now it is back.
>>
>>Any ideas ???
>>
>>EP.
>>

>I've just found that by making a desktop shortcut to google I can successfully
>open the webpage. And once I have this open I can use my favourites ok.
>But trying to open a web-page directly from an open folder I get the error.

There must be a name for someone who asks a particular question,
the answer to which could be v.easily found my putting said question
into google.

In my defense I thought my problem was preventing my from opening
any web-pages.

I googled, I dnlded BHOCaptor 0.5 (wthtmb) and bingo everything is rosy.

I guess I didn't need to do that damn complete-system restore thing
afterall.

EP.