Velocity Reviews

-   -   Restricted sites? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t476014-restricted-sites.html)

Tony 09-22-2006 04:52 PM

Restricted sites?

I've added a web address to my hosts file using this procedure:

1. open a command prompt.
2. cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc
> 3. attrib hosts -R

4. notepad hosts
5. -- add your ipaddres and its fqdn --
6. save the file

Yet if I type in the web address I've added it still gets displayed,
obviously you would say don't visit the site. I don't it's really a pop
up issue yet this site still gets through even though I'm using Avant
browser
with pop up blocker enabled.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 09-22-2006 04:54 PM

Re: Restricted sites?

Tony wrote:

> I've added a web address to my hosts file using this procedure:
>
> 1. open a command prompt.
> 2. cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc
> 3. attrib hosts -R
> 4. notepad hosts
> 5. -- add your ipaddres and its fqdn --
> 6. save the file

Wouldn't it be easier to just open the file from the Notepad File > Open
menu choice?

> Yet if I type in the web address I've added it still gets displayed,
> obviously you would say don't visit the site. I don't it's really a
> pop up issue yet this site still gets through even though I'm using
> Avant browser with pop up blocker enabled.

Can't tell if your edit was correct and successful. Open it with Notepad
and copy & paste the relevant parts here in a reply.

Rather than using a shell on top of Internet Explorer, have you
considered a modern, stand-alone browser such as Opera or Firefox?

--
-bts

Tony 09-22-2006 05:11 PM

Re: Restricted sites?

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in message
> Tony wrote:
>
>> I've added a web address to my hosts file using this procedure:
>>
>> 1. open a command prompt.
>> 2. cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc
>> 3. attrib hosts -R
>> 4. notepad hosts
>> 5. -- add your ipaddres and its fqdn --
>> 6. save the file

> Wouldn't it be easier to just open the file from the Notepad File > Open
> menu choice?
>
>> Yet if I type in the web address I've added it still gets displayed,
>> obviously you would say don't visit the site. I don't it's really a
>> pop up issue yet this site still gets through even though I'm using
>> Avant browser with pop up blocker enabled.

> Can't tell if your edit was correct and successful. Open it with Notepad
> and copy & paste the relevant parts here in a reply.
>
> Rather than using a shell on top of Internet Explorer, have you
> considered a modern, stand-alone browser such as Opera or Firefox?

I think I made a syntax error in the edit process I had the prefix
http://ww*.
removing the http:// part seems to have resolved the issue, and now
the offending pop up does not display.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 09-22-2006 05:29 PM

Re: Restricted sites?

Tony wrote:

> I think I made a syntax error in the edit process I had the prefix
> http://ww*.
> removing the http:// part seems to have resolved the issue, and now
> the offending pop up does not display.

Aha. That's what I wanted to look for. HOSTS file entries are just
domain name, and subdomain if it applies.

127.0.0.1 example.com
127.0.0.1 ads.example.com

--
-bts

richard 09-22-2006 05:44 PM

Re: Restricted sites?

"Tony" <Tony@TheNet.NET> wrote in message

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> Tony wrote:
>>
>>> I've added a web address to my hosts file using this procedure:
>>>
>>> 1. open a command prompt.
>>> 2. cd /d %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc
>>> 3. attrib hosts -R
>>> 4. notepad hosts
>>> 5. -- add your ipaddres and its fqdn --
>>> 6. save the file

>> Wouldn't it be easier to just open the file from the Notepad File > Open
>> menu choice?
>>
>>> Yet if I type in the web address I've added it still gets displayed,
>>> obviously you would say don't visit the site. I don't it's really a
>>> pop up issue yet this site still gets through even though I'm using
>>> Avant browser with pop up blocker enabled.

>> Can't tell if your edit was correct and successful. Open it with Notepad
>> and copy & paste the relevant parts here in a reply.
>>
>> Rather than using a shell on top of Internet Explorer, have you
>> considered a modern, stand-alone browser such as Opera or Firefox?

> I think I made a syntax error in the edit process I had the prefix
> http://ww*.
> removing the http:// part seems to have resolved the issue, and now
> the offending pop up does not display.

Or you might be able to use the IP of the site.
In most cases, the usage of the prefix as shown is primarily for the web
browser. Not needed within most applications.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 09-22-2006 07:04 PM

Re: Restricted sites?

richard wrote:

> Or you might be able to use the IP of the site.
> In most cases, the usage of the prefix as shown is primarily for the
> web browser. Not needed within most applications.

You're so totally, like, not following along, are you?

--
-bts

Evan Platt 09-23-2006 02:18 AM

Re: Restricted sites?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:44:31 -0600, "richard" <don@john.son> wrote:

>Or you might be able to use the IP of the site.

I can give you about 100 reasons that would be a stupid ****ing idea.

1 good one is a good number of sites using a load balancer. You may
only get one of many IP's for a site.