Velocity Reviews

-   -   Norton Internet Security 2007 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t475959-norton-internet-security-2007-a.html)

Sue 09-20-2006 04:48 PM

Norton Internet Security 2007

I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is
there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to
Norton support.

Thanks

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 09-20-2006 05:56 PM

Re: Norton Internet Security 2007

Sue wrote:

> I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now
> takes 4 to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this
> normal?

For Norton? Probably so, it's a well-touted resource hog. (Same for
McAfee)

Check to see if you didn't turn on, or it was the default, a scan of
your whole drive upon bootup. Turn off Inbound and Outbound email
scanning, too; it's not necessary.

> Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not,
> is it possible to go back to the 2005 version? I've tried
> unsuccessfully to find any on-line Norton support.

Get free stuff and dump Norton.
http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html

--
-bts

Ron Martell 09-20-2006 08:21 PM

"Sue" <muschany@att.invalid> wrote:

>I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
>to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is
>there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to
>Norton support.

Typical result for a computer that has been infested by a
Norton/Symantec product.

There are alternatives that are fully comparable in reliability but
put far less of a drag on your computer.

Here is what I use:

Firewall: Router with NAT (almost all routers have this. Mine is
wireless (D-Link DI-524) and cost $39CDN on sale at Staples.

Antivirus: AVG Free edition

Antispyware: Windows Defender (beta).

Supplementary: Weekly scan with AdAware, monthly scan with Trend
Micro Housecall.

The only item that I am missing is protection against unwanted
outbound traffic, but in order for that to happen the malware first
has to get onto my computer and I keep that clean. I also keep an
eye on the activity lights on my router and on the ADSL modem to see
if there is any Internet traffic occurring when I am not working
online.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

EricP 09-20-2006 08:21 PM

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:48:37 GMT, "Sue" <muschany@att.invalid> wrote:

>I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
>to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is
>there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to
>Norton support.
>
>Thanks

Norton used to be a nice thing, now it's a piece of oversized crap.

Sue 09-20-2006 08:53 PM

Re: Norton Internet Security 2007

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have turned off some things, including
something called "Phishing Protection" because I did not like the green bar
that it placed on the top of every web page. Is it okay to do away with
that?

I feel like the 2007 version of this product has taken over things that I
would rather be in charge of myself. Not only that, but because I renewed my
subscription a month early, I lost one month of my old subscription. I
assumed that the new subscription would start when the old one expired. Not
so. Oh well, live and learn. It won't happen again next year.

Thanks again.

Plato 09-20-2006 09:02 PM

Sue wrote:

> I just "upgraded" from Norton Internet Security 2005 to 2007. It now takes 4
> to 5 minutes for my computer to start up completely. Is this normal? Is

Yes, perfectly normal for Nortons products.

> there anything I can do to speed up the process? If not, is it possible to

Remove NIS ASAP

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Evan Platt 09-20-2006 09:17 PM

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:53:43 GMT, "Sue" <muschany@att.invalid> wrote:

>Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have turned off some things, including
>something called "Phishing Protection" because I did not like the green bar
>that it placed on the top of every web page. Is it okay to do away with
>that?

Sure. Just be careful what links you click on in e-mails - especially
messages from "Citibank Security", "PayPal Protection", etc..

>I feel like the 2007 version of this product has taken over things that I
>would rather be in charge of myself. Not only that, but because I renewed my
>subscription a month early, I lost one month of my old subscription. I
>assumed that the new subscription would start when the old one expired. Not
>so. Oh well, live and learn. It won't happen again next year.

As others have mentioned, Norton is bloatware.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 09-20-2006 09:28 PM

Evan Platt wrote:

> As others have mentioned, Norton is bloatware.

...and nearly impossible to totally get rid of, once one decides to do
that. Sorta like AOL software.

The regular Add/Remove Programs doesn't do it. Symantec has some special
executable files on their web site that are *supposed* to finish the
job.

--
-bts

Jimmy Dean 09-20-2006 11:13 PM

Re: Norton Internet Security 2007

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:21:15 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
wrote:
>Here is what I use:
>
>Firewall: Router with NAT (almost all routers have this. Mine is
>wireless (D-Link DI-524) and cost $39CDN on sale at Staples.

I'm surprised that a person of your PC expertise is not using a router
with SPI

>Antivirus: AVG Free edition
>
>Antispyware: Windows Defender (beta).
>
>Supplementary: Weekly scan with AdAware, monthly scan with Trend
>Micro Housecall.

SpyBot is much more thorough, Ad-Aware often misses threats

>The only item that I am missing is protection against unwanted
>outbound traffic, but in order for that to happen the malware first
>has to get onto my computer and I keep that clean.

Or perhaps ZoneAlarm

> I also keep an eye on the activity lights on my router and on the ADSL modem to see
>if there is any Internet traffic occurring when I am not working online.

Seems a hard task though maybe you have the discipline to do this and
also to disconnect from the Net when you leave your PC.

>Good luck
>
>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

cheers
jd

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 09-20-2006 11:18 PM

Jimmy Dean wrote:

> SpyBot is much more thorough, Ad-Aware often misses threats

Spybot S&D is for spyware, and Ad-Aware is for .. well .. adware. Two
different types of malware.

--
-bts