Velocity Reviews

-   -   Network laser printer prints light (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t475797-network-laser-printer-prints-light.html)

pjdd@rediffmail.com 09-16-2006 05:41 PM

Network laser printer prints light

I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.

It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
I tried all density settings from 600dpi to 1200dpi/180lpi.
I let the printer warm up for some time before printing.
It makes no difference. Text, pictures and the test page
all come out as if printed in FastDraft mode on my cheap
inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
please ?

Cub 09-16-2006 05:48 PM

Re: Network laser printer prints light

<pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
news:1158428479.941758.60920@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
>I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
> P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
> printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
> including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
> the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
>
> It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
> and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
> I tried all density settings from 600dpi to 1200dpi/180lpi.
> I let the printer warm up for some time before printing.
> It makes no difference. Text, pictures and the test page
> all come out as if printed in FastDraft mode on my cheap
> inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
> please ?

Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

pjdd@rediffmail.com 09-16-2006 06:04 PM

Cub wrote:
> <pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1158428479.941758.60920@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
> >
> > It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
> > and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
> >

> Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
> normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

Really ? (that's not meant as sarcasm). I read somewhere
some time ago - I think it was in a laser printer manual
- that a new toner cartridge should be shaken back and
forth to loosen the toner and distribute it evenly (not
side to side as that would tend to pile up the powder in
one spot).

Cub 09-16-2006 06:15 PM

news:1158429886.539594.137630@h48g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...

> Cub wrote:
>> <pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1158428479.941758.60920@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
>> >
>> > It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
>> > and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
>> >

>> Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
>> normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

> Really ? (that's not meant as sarcasm). I read somewhere
> some time ago - I think it was in a laser printer manual
> - that a new toner cartridge should be shaken back and
> forth to loosen the toner and distribute it evenly (not
> side to side as that would tend to pile up the powder in
> one spot).

Seen the problem of toner dump so many times, users trey to get the last bit
of toner out and just cause a mess !

Phil Saunders 09-16-2006 06:23 PM

Re: Network laser printer prints light

<pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
news:1158428479.941758.60920@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
>I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
> P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
> printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
> including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
> the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
>
> It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
> and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
> I tried all density settings from 600dpi to 1200dpi/180lpi.
> I let the printer warm up for some time before printing.
> It makes no difference. Text, pictures and the test page
> all come out as if printed in FastDraft mode on my cheap
> inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
> please ?

Hi

Three possibles

1) Toner is faulty - it happens (chip issues mainly)

2) Set Up is wrong - Printer or PC

3) User hasnt pulled the tape off the toner cartridge - Toner will print
10-50 pages from the toner left behind after the test pages were run

hth

Phil

pjdd@rediffmail.com 09-16-2006 06:25 PM

Cub wrote:
> <pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1158429886.539594.137630@h48g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> >
> > Cub wrote:
> >> <pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:1158428479.941758.60920@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...

> >> Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
> >> normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

> > Really ? (that's not meant as sarcasm). I read somewhere
> > some time ago - I think it was in a laser printer manual
> > - that a new toner cartridge should be shaken back and
> > forth to loosen the toner and distribute it evenly (not
> > side to side as that would tend to pile up the powder in
> > one spot).
> >

> Seen the problem of toner dump so many times, users trey to get the last bit
> of toner out and just cause a mess !

I can imagine how that could happen. Those people probably
got a bit too enthusiastic while trying to loosen every
last speck of toner.

Phil Saunders 09-16-2006 06:28 PM

"Cub" <cub@home.com> wrote in message

> <pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1158428479.941758.60920@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
>>I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
>> P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
>> printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
>> including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
>> the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
>>
>> It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
>> and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
>> I tried all density settings from 600dpi to 1200dpi/180lpi.
>> I let the printer warm up for some time before printing.
>> It makes no difference. Text, pictures and the test page
>> all come out as if printed in FastDraft mode on my cheap
>> inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
>> please ?
>>

> Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
> normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

Shaking toner cartridges gently is a good idea if

1) The toner is new
2) The toner appears to be empty

This advice can be found on the information that comes with some toners. It
is also in the training given to trade sales people from HP & Brother.

hth

Phil

SgtMinor 09-16-2006 06:28 PM

pjdd@rediffmail.com wrote:
> Cub wrote:
>
>><pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:1158428479.941758.60920@b28g2000cwb.googleg roups.com...
>>
>>>It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
>>>and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
>>>

>>Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
>>normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

> Really ? (that's not meant as sarcasm). I read somewhere
> some time ago - I think it was in a laser printer manual
> - that a new toner cartridge should be shaken back and
> forth to loosen the toner and distribute it evenly (not
> side to side as that would tend to pile up the powder in
> one spot).

It depends what you mean by "shaking." HP advises users to
"gently rock" the cartridge back and forth.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A1CB427CD

I've shaken lots of cartridges myself and have never had a problem
as a result.

pjdd@rediffmail.com 09-16-2006 06:59 PM

Phil Saunders wrote:
> <pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1158428479.941758.60920@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
> >I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
> > P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
> > printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
> > including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
> > the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
> >

> Hi
>
> Three possibles
>
> 1) Toner is faulty - it happens (chip issues mainly)

I'm inclined to think this is so.

> 2) Set Up is wrong - Printer or PC

I can't imagine what could be wrong in the setup. The
installation and the print jobs went smoothly except for
the light print.

> 3) User hasnt pulled the tape off the toner cartridge - Toner will print
> 10-50 pages from the toner left behind after the test pages were run

I pulled off the tape myself and the whole length came
out smoothly. Only the first test print was OK. Everything
else came out lightly printed. I've printed about 20 pages
and there has been neither improvement nor further
degradation.

Cub 09-16-2006 08:55 PM

"Phil Saunders" <philip.saunders@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> "Cub" <cub@home.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <pjdd@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1158428479.941758.60920@b28g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
>>>I set up a new HP Laserjet 1320N as part of a small local
>>> P2P network. The first self-test page printed fine - black
>>> printed as a deep rich black. But all subsequent files,
>>> including the built-in test page, print lightly (is that
>>> the correct term ?). Black comes out as dark grey.
>>>
>>> It's not in economode. I pulled out the toner cartridge
>>> and shook it to loosen the powder and distribute it evenly.
>>> I tried all density settings from 600dpi to 1200dpi/180lpi.
>>> I let the printer warm up for some time before printing.
>>> It makes no difference. Text, pictures and the test page
>>> all come out as if printed in FastDraft mode on my cheap
>>> inkjet. I use standard copier paper. Any suggestions
>>> please ?
>>>

>> Never shake a cartridge.. toner can be dumped inside the printer during
>> normal operation contaminating whatever it contacts

> Shaking toner cartridges gently is a good idea if
>
> 1) The toner is new
> 2) The toner appears to be empty
>
> This advice can be found on the information that comes with some toners.
> It is also in the training given to trade sales people from HP & Brother.
>
> hth
>
> Phil

You can shake whatever and sure it suggested... but everything has
consequences.

Do you bang your monitor on it's side when the image flickers ?