Velocity Reviews

-   -   A dumb sounding home network question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t475779-a-dumb-sounding-home-network-question.html)

GrandpaChuck 09-16-2006 01:30 AM

A dumb sounding home network question

My old grandpa used to tell me the only really dumb questions were the
ones that went not asked. I hope he was right. That advise has served
me well for many years.

I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a problem
keeping connected through our old computer in the bedroom. Now for the
question: Can I connect to it from my main computer that is wired to
the wireless hub and then listen to it via my home network on that
bedroom computer, thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?

Thanks friends.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Mike Easter 09-16-2006 02:34 AM

Re: A dumb sounding home network question

Somehow I failed to get the picture of the network topology.

GrandpaChuck wrote:

> I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a problem
> keeping connected through our old computer in the bedroom.

He's listening to the online radio at computer 'OLD' whose connectivity
is....?

.... 'in the bedroom'

Naturally 'in the bedroom' can mean almost anything. In the bedroom
accessing by dialup? What?

> Now for the
> question: Can I connect to it from my main computer

Aha. Another computer 'MAIN'. I wonder how it is connected to the
internet?

> ... that is wired to
> the wireless hub

The wireless hub? Which hub is connected to what? Another dialup? A
cable modem? A DSL modem? What?

> and then listen to it via my home network

home network? What home network is that? One thing is wireless. Is
there a wired ethernet network? What is the 'layout' or connectivity
between these two computers OLD and MAIN or the connectivity of each to
the internet?

> on that
> bedroom computer, thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?

Don't assume anyone can see your network's connections to each other, to
the internet, or that anyone can correctly guess at anything.

--
Mike Easter

GrandpaChuck 09-16-2006 03:25 AM

Re: A dumb sounding home network question

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:34:13 -0700, "Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid>
wrote:

>Somehow I failed to get the picture of the network topology.
>
>GrandpaChuck wrote:
>
>> I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a problem
>> keeping connected through our old computer in the bedroom.

>He's listening to the online radio at computer 'OLD' whose connectivity
>is....?
>
>... 'in the bedroom'
>
>Naturally 'in the bedroom' can mean almost anything. In the bedroom
>accessing by dialup? What?

Wireless home network that is connected through broadband.

>> Now for the
>> question: Can I connect to it from my main computer

>Aha. Another computer 'MAIN'. I wonder how it is connected to the
>internet?

Cable broadband. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Not all of us are as
computer savvy as others.

>> ... that is wired to
>> the wireless hub

>The wireless hub? Which hub is connected to what? Another dialup? A
>cable modem? A DSL modem? What?
>
>> and then listen to it via my home network

>home network? What home network is that? One thing is wireless. Is
>there a wired ethernet network? What is the 'layout' or connectivity
>between these two computers OLD and MAIN or the connectivity of each to
>the internet?

Wireless home network. I thought that was pretty obvious.

>> on that
>> bedroom computer, thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?

>Don't assume anyone can see your network's connections to each other, to
>the internet, or that anyone can correctly guess at anything.

Okay. You proved that I did not provide enough information. That
showed me to be an ass.

Then you became a smart aleck proving that you are an ass.

So we both assumed which made and ass of you and me.
You could have simply asked me some pertinent questions.
Just because I am older by far than home computers does not mean I am
senile too.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

richard 09-16-2006 04:01 AM

"GrandpaChuck" <GrandpaChuck@B4ME.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:34:13 -0700, "Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Somehow I failed to get the picture of the network topology.
>>
>>GrandpaChuck wrote:
>>
>>> I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a problem
>>> keeping connected through our old computer in the bedroom.

>>He's listening to the online radio at computer 'OLD' whose connectivity
>>is....?
>>
>>... 'in the bedroom'
>>
>>Naturally 'in the bedroom' can mean almost anything. In the bedroom
>>accessing by dialup? What?

> Wireless home network that is connected through broadband.
>

>>> Now for the
>>> question: Can I connect to it from my main computer

>>Aha. Another computer 'MAIN'. I wonder how it is connected to the
>>internet?

> Cable broadband. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Not all of us are as
> computer savvy as others.
>

>>> ... that is wired to
>>> the wireless hub

>>The wireless hub? Which hub is connected to what? Another dialup? A
>>cable modem? A DSL modem? What?
>>
>>> and then listen to it via my home network

>>home network? What home network is that? One thing is wireless. Is
>>there a wired ethernet network? What is the 'layout' or connectivity
>>between these two computers OLD and MAIN or the connectivity of each to
>>the internet?

> Wireless home network. I thought that was pretty obvious.
>

>>> on that
>>> bedroom computer, thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?

>>Don't assume anyone can see your network's connections to each other, to
>>the internet, or that anyone can correctly guess at anything.

> Okay. You proved that I did not provide enough information. That
> showed me to be an ass.
>
> Then you became a smart aleck proving that you are an ass.
>
> So we both assumed which made and ass of you and me.
> You could have simply asked me some pertinent questions.
> Just because I am older by far than home computers does not mean I am
> senile too.

I would then suspect that it would be a problem with either the website or
the cable company.
Even streaming radio needs to be buffered. So every now and then you're
going to lose a "connection" during the process. Very annoying.

Andie 09-16-2006 04:24 AM

Re: A dumb sounding home network question

"GrandpaChuck" <GrandpaChuck@B4ME.org> wrote. On Fri, 15 Sep 2006
19:34:13 -0700, "Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid>
> wrote:

[...]

> So we both assumed which made and ass of you and me.
> You could have simply asked me some pertinent questions.
> Just because I am older by far than home computers does not mean I am
> senile too.
>
> --
>
> Grandpa Chuck
> -τΏτ-

Yay!

GrandpaChuck 09-16-2006 04:36 AM

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:01:38 -0600, "richard" <don@john.son> wrote:

>"GrandpaChuck" <GrandpaChuck@B4ME.org> wrote in message
>news:39rmg21vndu2ffuo6l99bk5a70b0brblna@4ax.com.. .
>> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:34:13 -0700, "Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Somehow I failed to get the picture of the network topology.

>>>He's listening to the online radio at computer 'OLD' whose connectivity
>>>is....?
>>>
>>>... 'in the bedroom'
>>>
>>>Naturally 'in the bedroom' can mean almost anything. In the bedroom
>>>accessing by dialup? What?

>> Wireless home network that is connected through broadband.

>>>Aha. Another computer 'MAIN'. I wonder how it is connected to the
>>>internet?

>> Cable broadband. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Not all of us are as
>> computer savvy as others.

>>>The wireless hub? Which hub is connected to what? Another dialup? A
>>>cable modem? A DSL modem? What?

>>>home network? What home network is that? One thing is wireless. Is
>>>there a wired ethernet network? What is the 'layout' or connectivity
>>>between these two computers OLD and MAIN or the connectivity of each to
>>>the internet?

>> Wireless home network. I thought that was pretty obvious.

>>>Don't assume anyone can see your network's connections to each other, to
>>>the internet, or that anyone can correctly guess at anything.

>> Okay. You proved that I did not provide enough information. That
>> showed me to be an ass.
>>
>> Then you became a smart aleck proving that you are an ass.
>>
>> So we both assumed which made and ass of you and me.
>> You could have simply asked me some pertinent questions.
>> Just because I am older by far than home computers does not mean I am
>> senile too.

>I would then suspect that it would be a problem with either the website or
>the cable company.
>Even streaming radio needs to be buffered. So every now and then you're
>going to lose a "connection" during the process. Very annoying.

I have never lost signal when listening on what I call our "main"
computer (computer #1) - the one the wireless hub is hooked to.

The oldest, or bedroom computer (computer #3) which is there just for
streaming audio and mp3 files sometimes gets a weak signal. I have
tried several of the suggestions I got here to improve it with no
change. I just figured that maybe since I can still communicate
wirelessly with computer #1 if it was streaming the radio station I
might be able to listen to it on computer #3 at the same time.

This whole idea doesn't make a lot of sense to me but then I have
never tried to run a program on computer #1 and watch or listen to it
with computer #3 at the same time.

Does that make any sense whatever or am I expecting more than I should
from the home network?

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 09-16-2006 05:09 AM

Re: A dumb sounding home network question

GrandpaChuck <GrandpaChuck@B4ME.org> wrote:

>I have never lost signal when listening on what I call our "main"
>computer (computer #1) - the one the wireless hub is hooked to.
>
>The oldest, or bedroom computer (computer #3) which is there just for
>streaming audio and mp3 files sometimes gets a weak signal. I have
>tried several of the suggestions I got here to improve it with no
>change. I just figured that maybe since I can still communicate
>wirelessly with computer #1 if it was streaming the radio station I
>might be able to listen to it on computer #3 at the same time.
>
>This whole idea doesn't make a lot of sense to me but then I have
>never tried to run a program on computer #1 and watch or listen to it
>with computer #3 at the same time.

>Does that make any sense whatever or am I expecting more than I should
>from the home network?

Not really :) but I think I get the gist

You want to listen to the same media on two computers at the same
time.

If it can be done VLC will do it http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

"VLC media player which can be used as a server and as a client to
stream and receive network streams. VLC is able to stream all that it
can read." http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html

--
1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

Jerry Attic 09-16-2006 05:39 AM

Re: A dumb sounding home network question

GrandpaChuck <GrandpaChuck@B4ME.org> said in

> My old grandpa used to tell me the only really dumb questions were the
> ones that went not asked. I hope he was right. That advise has served
> me well for many years.
>
> I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a problem
> keeping connected through our old computer in the bedroom. Now for the
> question: Can I connect to it from my main computer that is wired to
> the wireless hub and then listen to it via my home network on that
> bedroom computer, thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?

The problem is with your signal going to the old computer, so I don't think
it matter. Wireless connections can be fade one moment and be very strong
the next, depending factors beyond your control.

Jerry

Ali Bubba 09-16-2006 05:43 AM

Re: A dumb sounding home network question

If the signal strength is weak, you could take steps to bolster your wireles
connection. E.g. move the wireless hub (or is it a router) if possible
closer to your bedroom, or install a wireless repeater at some midway point
between the wireless hub and your computer in the bedroom. I don't know too
much about the repeaters, so you need to do your own research. You could
also ditch the wireless connection altoghether and run cable up to your
bedroom.

It could also be possible your problem is not with the network connection at
all, but with your OLD computer. The interruptions could be related to how
effective your computer is at managing the buffer. Limited system resources
(primarily memory) could impact efficiency. With some versions of windows
(95, 98 and ME) the OS does not always manage memory efficiently, so even if
you have plenty of memory (128 MB or more), If you have a lot of items
running in the background (including spyware), you've got a pretty sorry
running system.

thanatoid 09-16-2006 06:56 AM

Re: A dumb sounding home network question

GrandpaChuck <GrandpaChuck@B4ME.org> wrote in

> My old grandpa used to tell me the only really dumb
> questions were the ones that went not asked. I hope he was
> right. That advise has served me well for many years.
>
> I listen to WSUI AM with RealPlayer quite often. I have a
> problem keeping connected through our old computer in the
> bedroom. Now for the question: Can I connect to it from my
> main computer that is wired to the wireless hub and then
> listen to it via my home network on that bedroom computer,
> thus avoiding the unpredictable disconnects?
>
> Thanks friends.

I believe the problem stems from the fact that you "bedroom
computer" (BC from now on) is old and may not handle the audio
stream well due to its relatively low resources. It is connected
directly to the web via the network, and has to do all the work
itself. Not good if it's old.

I can think of a few solutions:

1)
Put a better computer in your bedroom.

2)
Do not use your BC as a *computer*. Use it as an audio
amplifier. Get a long enough cable and connect it from the "line
out" output on back of you "main computer" (MC) and plug it into
the "line in" on the BC. Then it will just play the signal,
since no processing (well, a little) will be involved. But it
should eliminate the problems since the MC will be processing
the resources-hogging audio stream.

You can buy an appropriate length of cable and two good plugs at
a decent electronics store (Radio Shack will do but it's a
little overpriced and they do not have the best stuff) and make
the cable or have someone make it for you for a few bucks.

If you don't want to trip over cables, get one similar in color
to your walls and attach it along where the walls meet the
ceiling. You won't even know it's there.

3)
A variation on 2, using the same cable, possibly with an RCA
adapter. Plug it into a stereo or blaster (with inputs) in your
bedroom. I don't know what speakers your BC has but most people
use two little computer speakers which are crap. So even an
inexpensive blaster with line-input that you can find in your
basement or at a garage sale or at goodwill or whatever will
probably sound a LOT better. An old stereo (receiver/speakers)
will sound even better. Actually, even a pair of decent
headphones from the headphone output on your BC will sound
better than the speakers. But some people don't like headphones.

Of course, if you want to change stations or anything, you will
have to run to the MC. Still, there's a few ideas to work with.