Velocity Reviews

-   -   How many fonts - XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t475574-how-many-fonts-xp.html)

Win 09-10-2006 10:02 PM

How many fonts - XP

How many fonts can there be in Win XP?
I'm awear that in win 9x to many fonts could be a problem.
I was looking at a system the other day with slightly less that 2000 fonts
Is that likely to cause problems??
Also some of the fonts were shortcuts to other locations (Not across a
network)
Is it better to have all the fonts in the fonts folder??

Thanks

Ron Martell 09-11-2006 02:33 AM

Re: How many fonts - XP

"Win" <win@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How many fonts can there be in Win XP?
>I'm awear that in win 9x to many fonts could be a problem.
>I was looking at a system the other day with slightly less that 2000 fonts
>Is that likely to cause problems??
>Also some of the fonts were shortcuts to other locations (Not across a
>network)
>Is it better to have all the fonts in the fonts folder??
>
>Thanks

It can be a problem, not so much with Windows XP where the old Windows
9x font limitations do not apply, but more likely with applications
such as Microsoft Word which use a font preview function and therefore
have to load and process the full set of installed fonts when they
start up. This not only makes the application much slower to start
up it also means that the application uses more RAM, which can in turn
lead to increased actual usage of the pagefile and therefore reduced
overall performance.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)