Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can a USB adapter plug directly into a device? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t475438-can-a-usb-adapter-plug-directly-into-a-device.html)

quickquestion@mailinator.com 09-07-2006 12:28 AM

Can a USB adapter plug directly into a device?

I have a tiny camera with a usb mini b output.

I think the plug itself could support the weight of the camera, so I
don't need a cord or anything to plug it into my laptop.

What would happen if I was to plug one end of this adapter into my
camera and the other end directly into the computer's usb connection?

http://www.graphicice.com/index.php/.../itemID/178600

Would the computer figure out that something has been reversed and
compensate?

malware.magnet@gmail.com 09-07-2006 12:48 AM

Re: Can a USB adapter plug directly into a device?

quickquest...@mailinator.com wrote:
> I have a tiny camera with a usb mini b output.
>
> I think the plug itself could support the weight of the camera, so I
> don't need a cord or anything to plug it into my laptop.
>
> What would happen if I was to plug one end of this adapter into my
> camera and the other end directly into the computer's usb connection?
>
> http://www.graphicice.com/index.php/.../itemID/178600
>
> Would the computer figure out that something has been reversed and
> compensate?

If you are planning to purchase this plug from GraphicIce.com, you must
have noted the text on their page saying:

"Please be aware of our $150 minimum order policy."

Regardless, connecting as follows; camera > plug > computer - should
net the same results you would experience if you had a mini b extension
cable for your camera.

Good luck.

MrB 09-07-2006 01:10 AM

Re: Can a USB adapter plug directly into a device?

I would not recommend such a rigid connection between the two.

news:1157588922.385582.25420@m73g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...

thanatoid 09-07-2006 03:42 AM

Re: Can a USB adapter plug directly into a device?

quickquestion@mailinator.com wrote in
news:1157588922.385582.25420@m73g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com:

> I have a tiny camera with a usb mini b output.
>
> I think the plug itself could support the weight of the
> camera, so I don't need a cord or anything to plug it into
> my laptop.
>
> What would happen if I was to plug one end of this adapter
> into my camera and the other end directly into the
> computer's usb connection?
>
> http://www.graphicice.com/index.php/...dspec/itemID/1
> 78600
>
> Would the computer figure out that something has been
> reversed and compensate?

Regardless of the SPECIFIC nature of your question, there are
some basic rules which should be followed ALWAYS.

One of them is "do not connect anything by their plugs without
cables in between". (There ARE some exceptions, like a 2 oz.
nightlight, but let's not get into that, OK?)

(In this case, plug, outlet, connection, male, female, two
prong, ten prong, etc., all mean the same, whether RS-232, USB,
220VAC, BNC, or whatever.)

IOW, do not place the entire weight of ANYTHING on the
connection.

Besides, I will bet a hundred bucks you would drop the
contraption within five minutes of attempting to use it. Could
cost you a little more than a two foot USB cable and a small
roll of pro gaffer tape.

BTW, anyone ever ask themselves why there are no shoulder/neck
straps for laptops?

PeeCee 09-07-2006 05:22 AM

Re: Can a USB adapter plug directly into a device?

<quickquestion@mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:1157588922.385582.25420@m73g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
>I have a tiny camera with a usb mini b output.
>
> I think the plug itself could support the weight of the camera, so I
> don't need a cord or anything to plug it into my laptop.
>
> What would happen if I was to plug one end of this adapter into my
> camera and the other end directly into the computer's usb connection?
>
> http://www.graphicice.com/index.php/.../itemID/178600
>
> Would the computer figure out that something has been reversed and
> compensate?

The Adaptor is nothing more than a normal cord with out the cord part.
As such it will do exactly the same job.

However as sure as the good Lord made little green apples, leaving something
sticking out of a PC like that, it is going to get wiped off by some one or
something.

Best
Paul.

JANA 09-07-2006 05:43 AM

Re: Can a USB adapter plug directly into a device?

The adaptor should work. But, it is not good for the connector's circuit
connections on the mother board to have the weight of the camera on it. In
the short future, this may lead to some repairs of the circuit board.

--

JANA
_____