Velocity Reviews

-   -   Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t475370-norton-ghost-9-0-and-new-sata-drive-copy-one-drive-to-another.html)

hotister@hotmail.com 09-05-2006 01:10 AM

Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"

Hi dear all:

I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
that I selected (X means checked):

X Check source for file system errors
X Check destination for file system errors
X Resize drive to fill unallocated space
X Set drive active (for boothing OS)

The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD,
turn off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only
drive available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the
windows XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or
command line start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly,
which I did), and if I select the "normal start", it will load the
Windows XP Pro logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again.
If I choose the command line (or safe mode), it will load up to
gagp30kx.sys driver and then freeze. Any idea why is this?? Is there
any other walk-around for solving this problem? Many thanks!

Meat Plow 09-05-2006 02:29 AM

Re: Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:10:57 -0700, hotister Has Frothed:

> Subject: Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"
> From: hotister@hotmail.com
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Date: 4 Sep 2006 18:10:57 -0700
>
> Hi dear all:
>
> I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my old
> 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options that I
> selected (X means checked)

Forget Ghost and use Acronis Migrate Easy 15 day free trial.

http://tinyurl.com/k4pmk

COOSN-266-06-25794

Desk Rabbit 09-05-2006 02:02 PM

hotister@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi dear all:
>
> I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
> old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
> that I selected (X means checked):
>
> X Check source for file system errors
> X Check destination for file system errors
> X Resize drive to fill unallocated space
> X Set drive active (for boothing OS)
>
> The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD,
> turn off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only
> drive available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the
> windows XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or
> command line start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly,
> which I did), and if I select the "normal start", it will load the
> Windows XP Pro logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again.
> If I choose the command line (or safe mode), it will load up to
> gagp30kx.sys driver and then freeze. Any idea why is this?? Is there
> any other walk-around for solving this problem? Many thanks!

Because you cloned the IDE drive, it sounds to me like it is trying to
use the IDE drivers to read the SATA disk as Windows starts up.

Can XP see the SATA drive natively? i.e. If you perform an XP install on
the SATA drive as the only drive in the system, will it install without
any additional drivers?

If it needs drivers, try doing a repair install on the SATA clone.
Guessing here to be honest but no harm trying it.

Failing that, run the files & settings transfer wizard on the IDE drive,
do a fresh install on the SATA drive and run the wizard again on the
SATA install to import your files & settings.

Meat Plow 09-05-2006 04:13 PM

Re: Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:02:39 +0100, Desk Rabbit Has Frothed:

> hotister@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Hi dear all:
>>
>> I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
>> old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
>> that I selected (X means checked):
>>
>> X Check source for file system errors X Check destination for file
>> system errors X Resize drive to fill unallocated space X Set drive
>> active (for boothing OS)
>>
>> The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD, turn
>> off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only drive
>> available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the windows
>> XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or command line
>> start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly, which I did),
>> and if I select the "normal start", it will load the Windows XP Pro
>> logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again. If I choose the
>> command line (or safe mode), it will load up to gagp30kx.sys driver and
>> then freeze. Any idea why is this?? Is there any other walk-around for
>> solving this problem? Many thanks!
>>

> Because you cloned the IDE drive, it sounds to me like it is trying to use
> the IDE drivers to read the SATA disk as Windows starts up.
>
> Can XP see the SATA drive natively? i.e. If you perform an XP install on
> the SATA drive as the only drive in the system, will it install without
> any additional drivers?
>
> If it needs drivers, try doing a repair install on the SATA clone.
> Guessing here to be honest but no harm trying it.
>
> Failing that, run the files & settings transfer wizard on the IDE drive,
> do a fresh install on the SATA drive and run the wizard again on the SATA
> install to import your files & settings.

I did the same damn thing on my XP box. Cloned an IDE to SATA and it
worked withgout any invertention. HOWEVER, the SATA controller was part of
the MOBO and not an add on card. What the OP should do if this is the case
is install the SATA controller on the IDE drive install in XP so he gets
the driver in the HAL. I did this on a Win 2003 SBS and it worked
flawlessly

COOSN-266-06-25794

Jimmy Dean 09-06-2006 02:27 AM

Re: Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another" <= Q re Acronis

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:29:16 -0400, Meat Plow <meat@meatplow.local>
wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:10:57 -0700, hotister Has Frothed:
>
>> Subject: Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"
>> From: hotister@hotmail.com
>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>> Date: 4 Sep 2006 18:10:57 -0700
>>
>> Hi dear all:
>>
>> I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my old
>> 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options that I
>> selected (X means checked)

>Forget Ghost and use Acronis Migrate Easy 15 day free trial.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/k4pmk

Sounds cool but does it run as a standalone utility like Ghost 2003 or
does one have to install it on a HD and run it as a Windows app?

Also, does it create hard-disk (disk or partition) image files (again
like Ghost 2003)

tia
jd