Velocity Reviews

-   -   Q. re Simple File Sharing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t475156-q-re-simple-file-sharing.html)

Jimmy Dean 08-30-2006 01:53 AM

Q. re Simple File Sharing

I have 2 PCs with XP Pro.

If I enable Simple File Sharing, share a folder on each and make sure
boths PCs are in the same workgroup and subnet, then I can share files
back and forth easily from either PC.

If Simple File Sharing is not enabled, however, I can't access shared
folders on one PC from the other, even if I give Everyone full
permissions on each PC.

My Q: What changes does Simple File Sharing make?

tia
jd

Atlas Shrugged 08-30-2006 03:08 AM

Re: Q. re Simple File Sharing

"Jimmy Dean" <jdean@nowhere.now> wrote in message
>I have 2 PCs with XP Pro.
>
> If I enable Simple File Sharing, share a folder on each and make sure
> boths PCs are in the same workgroup and subnet, then I can share files
> back and forth easily from either PC.
>
> If Simple File Sharing is not enabled, however, I can't access shared
> folders on one PC from the other, even if I give Everyone full
> permissions on each PC.
>
> My Q: What changes does Simple File Sharing make?
>
> tia
> jd

Check these out:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/en-us

why? 08-30-2006 04:40 PM

Re: Q. re Simple File Sharing

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:53:03 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:

>I have 2 PCs with XP Pro.
>
>If I enable Simple File Sharing, share a folder on each and make sure
>boths PCs are in the same workgroup and subnet, then I can share files
>back and forth easily from either PC.
>
>If Simple File Sharing is not enabled, however, I can't access shared
>folders on one PC from the other, even if I give Everyone full
>permissions on each PC.
>
>My Q: What changes does Simple File Sharing make?

It makes it work :-)

How strange, I always make sure it's turned off and file sharing works
fine.

In the 1st article this is an issue, "Remote users always authenticate
as the Guest account."
I always disable the guest account on systems at home and it's been a
policy at work as well for many years. This means a but more in the way
of setup, generally I create a file sharing user account and limit the
access to specific folders only, even as far as RO for a frolder tree /
RW to single folders.

Certain assumptions are made about trusting the other PCs,
http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/desktop/windows/windowsxp/
http://www.securiteam.com/securityre...J00J2KEUE.html

Another MS link (or 2)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=300489
Description of the Guest account in Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...account_w.mspx
To turn the guest account on or off

How to change settings if needed
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...own_Guide.html

Me

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-31-2006 12:56 AM

Re: Q. re Simple File Sharing

Jimmy Dean <jdean@nowhere.now> wrote:

>My Q: What changes does Simple File Sharing make?

Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > right click on
simple file sharing, Left click on "What's this"

--
No American has died of old age since 1951.
http://www.discover.com/issues/sep-0...20thingsdeath/