Velocity Reviews

-   -   I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t475075-i-have-a-serious-problem-with-my-hdd-partitions-please-help.html)

ashjas 08-28-2006 02:13 PM

I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.

Hi,

This has happened 3-4 times since about a month.

The problem that i am having is that an unknown setup file
automatically resides on my partitions that has a size of about 48
KB..I virus checked it with bitdefender with latest virus
signatures..but it isnt infected..

But what it does is that it changes the default partition icon that win
xp shows for the partitions for a HDD..here are the images image..::

image1::http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1773/1qo3.png
image2::http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8199/2es2.png
image3::http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/227/3oc9.png

earlier it was for only drive d and e..and now its for drive c and e..

also one can see an autorun file(in image2) that is also generated with
that setup file that has the following contents::

[autorun]
open=setup.exe
icon=setup.exe,0

And when i delete that setup file..the icon of the partition doessnot
restores to the default hdd icon
(which is the icon of store1(D:) partition that is correct as no setup
file resides on that partition)
but shows the same icon which the windows shows for file types that
are not registered to be opened by any application defaultly..

earlier..after deleting that setup file..i had to reformat my partition
to get back that icon..

well there is no harm in such a situation..no virus..no unexpected
behaviour..or something..but this thing is irrating..

And if i restore the system partition from an image ,to check if there
is something wrong with the system files..then also that icon of the
other partitions remain as it is..

Please help me in figuring out what is happening..

I am providing a link for the suspicious setup file aswell..which i
have checked for virus(image3)..and it passed clean..

Thanks for helping..

ashjas 08-28-2006 02:17 PM

Re: I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.

I forgot to give the link for that suspicious file...::

http://rapidshare.de/files/31067339/setup.exe.html

Meat Plow 08-28-2006 02:32 PM

Re: I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:13:58 -0700, ashjas Has Frothed:

> Subject: I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.
> From: "ashjas" <ashjas@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Date: 28 Aug 2006 07:13:58 -0700
>
> Hi,
>
> This has happened 3-4 times since about a month.
>
> The problem that i am having is that an unknown setup file automatically
> resides on my partitions that has a size of about 48 KB..I virus checked
> it with bitdefender with latest virus signatures..but it isnt infected..
>
> But what it does is that it changes the default partition icon that win xp
> shows for the partitions for a HDD..here are the images image..::
>
> image1::http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1773/1qo3.png
> image2::http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8199/2es2.png
> image3::http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/227/3oc9.png

Where did the setup file come from? What if any are its properties?

ashjas 08-28-2006 02:51 PM

Re: I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.

I dont know where that file came from.
It automatically came from somewhere...

Meat Plow 08-28-2006 03:10 PM

Re: I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:51:18 -0700, ashjas Has Frothed:

> Subject: Re: I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.
> From: "ashjas" <ashjas@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Date: 28 Aug 2006 07:51:18 -0700
>
> I dont know where that file came from. It automatically came from
> somewhere...

What happens when you try to run it?

ashjas 08-28-2006 03:13 PM

Re: I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.

nothing happens when i run that file..

Meat Plow 08-28-2006 03:20 PM

Re: I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:13:57 -0700, ashjas Has Frothed:

> Subject: Re: I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.
> From: "ashjas" <ashjas@gmail.com>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Date: 28 Aug 2006 08:13:57 -0700
>
> nothing happens when i run that file.

I'll see if I can get some info on it when I can get to a PC with a binary
decompiler.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-29-2006 03:48 AM

"ashjas" <ashjas@gmail.com> wrote:

>I forgot to give the link for that suspicious file...::
>
>http://rapidshare.de/files/31067339/setup.exe.html

I was going to look at it, but NOD32 won't let me download it.
Claims (which I'm going to trust)
Probably a variant of Win43\Medbot.BD.trojan

--
Anybody care how much Vista is going to cost?
http://tinyurl.com/h9q4j

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 08-29-2006 03:55 AM

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:

>Probably a variant of Win43\Medbot.BD.trojan

Typing in the dark :)

From the log:

8/28/2006 20:47:27 PM IMON file
http://dl15cg.rapidshare.de/files/31...3724/setup.exe
probably a variant of Win32/Medbot.BD trojan