Velocity Reviews

-   -   Keep Losing Internet Connection (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t475044-keep-losing-internet-connection.html)

jrv331@gmail.com 08-27-2006 02:24 PM

Keep Losing Internet Connection

Im stumped here and need some major help. I have DSL with a wireless
network. I have my main computer hard wired to the router(Belkin) and
two wireless computers. After connecting for approx 1-2 minutes I can
no longer get web pages to dispaly. Keep getting times out. If I reboot
the computer(hardwired), router and modem I can connect for another
minute or so then the same happens. If I turn the hard wired computer
off the wireless ones work fine. But once I turn the main computer on
it all stops working again. I have even gone so far as to completely
remove the router and hook the modem directly to the computer. Same
thing happens. When I go the the modem or router home page it says Im
connected though

I contected my phone company, they say its the router(even when not
using the router), I contacted Belkin they say its the phone company. I
really need some help here, Ive tried everything I can think of. I use
WinXP, IE6, Firefox.
Any Help would be greatly apprecieated
Thanks
John

Bucky Breeder 08-27-2006 02:37 PM

Re: Keep Losing Internet Connection

jrv331@gmail.com selectively relayed in
news:1156688695.600066.319090@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com:

> Im stumped here and need some major help. I have DSL with a
> wireless network. I have my main computer hard wired to the
> router(Belkin) and two wireless computers. After connecting
> for approx 1-2 minutes I can no longer get web pages to
> dispaly. Keep getting times out. If I reboot the
> computer(hardwired), router and modem I can connect for
> another minute or so then the same happens. If I turn the hard
> wired computer off the wireless ones work fine. But once I
> turn the main computer on it all stops working again. I have
> even gone so far as to completely remove the router and hook
> the modem directly to the computer. Same thing happens. When I
> go the the modem or router home page it says Im connected
> though
>
> I contected my phone company, they say its the router(even
> when not using the router), I contacted Belkin they say its
> the phone company. I really need some help here, Ive tried
> everything I can think of. I use WinXP, IE6, Firefox.
> Any Help would be greatly apprecieated
> Thanks
> John

They'll *always* say it's your router,
and then they'll say "we don't support routers."

That gets the tech supt rep a ticket towards his/her
quota in ~30 seconds, or so.

Now, if you're connecting to your network, and then
getting bumped off somehow, it's likely your ISP,
or you could have
a virus/trojan/malware/booger/loose connection.

Try this:

Freeware > IP2 v1.03 > http://keir.net

It will give you a readout of your LAN IP address
and your WAN IP address, or tell you pretty much
if you're connected to your router, and then if
your router is connected to your ISP...

Good place to start. Then post back with some results
if your tech-supt is not listening.

--
If you're dyslexic:
Welcome to the beginning of this article!

John 08-27-2006 06:47 PM

Re: Keep Losing Internet Connection

Thanks for the reply. Im not really sure whats going on. I spent 2 hrs
on the phone with my ISP's tech support. We took the router out of the
picture and hooked my computer directly to the modem. The computer sees
the moden and I am able to get to the modem home page and change the
setting. Did all the ping tests and they work fine. It seem thatm Im
connected to the internet just cant go any where. FInally as a last
resort I took a second computer and hooked it up to the modem, and it
works great. Its some setting with my main computer(Dell). Ive been on
hold for over an hour.

So far I have run norton,spyblaster, window washer, adaware and a few
other fix it programs. No problems found. I tried reinstalling
IE6(winxp) and restoring the defaults. Tried wthe winsoxk fix. Still no
luck. Im at my wits end here.

If my wifes work stuff was not ton the computer, Id just take a hammer
to it - Id FEEL a whole lot better.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
John

John 08-27-2006 06:48 PM

John 08-27-2006 06:48 PM

ProfGene 08-28-2006 03:43 AM

jrv331@gmail.com wrote:
> Im stumped here and need some major help. I have DSL with a wireless
> network. I have my main computer hard wired to the router(Belkin) and
> two wireless computers. After connecting for approx 1-2 minutes I can
> no longer get web pages to dispaly. Keep getting times out. If I reboot
> the computer(hardwired), router and modem I can connect for another
> minute or so then the same happens. If I turn the hard wired computer
> off the wireless ones work fine. But once I turn the main computer on
> it all stops working again. I have even gone so far as to completely
> remove the router and hook the modem directly to the computer. Same
> thing happens. When I go the the modem or router home page it says Im
> connected though
>
> I contected my phone company, they say its the router(even when not
> using the router), I contacted Belkin they say its the phone company. I
> really need some help here, Ive tried everything I can think of. I use
> WinXP, IE6, Firefox.
> Any Help would be greatly apprecieated
> Thanks
> John

My phone company told me the same thing but my connection used to work
fine with the router then for it while it did again then started
intermittant breaks in the conneciton so especially since they told me
they were working on the DSL lines I am convinced the fault is with the
DSL line itself.

betsyb 08-29-2006 03:56 PM

Re: Keep Losing Internet Connection

I played this game with optonline for three weeks before the stooped over
and decided it MIGHT be alright for them to come check the outside
connection, they hooked up? They came and got the splitter off the wet grass
and told me this might be what was wrong?
I wonder why a woman's suggestion is so often turned down? No problems since
and no charges either.

--

Betsy

http://sailuk420.tripod.com