Velocity Reviews

-   -   Freeview (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t475043-freeview.html)

Bob B 08-27-2006 01:40 PM

Freeview

My son has a new flat panel Samsung HD television with built in free view.
Is it possible to record the free view programmes, if so what would be the
set up to achieve this. He has no problems recording the normal channels.
Bob

Whiskers 08-27-2006 04:31 PM

Re: Freeview

On 2006-08-27, Bob B <boobbby@hotmail.com> wrote:
> My son has a new flat panel Samsung HD television with built in free view.
> Is it possible to record the free view programmes, if so what would be the
> set up to achieve this. He has no problems recording the normal channels.
> Bob

You can probably set up your VCR (or whatever) to record from the TV, which
should work equally well when the TV is showing either a digital or an
analogue station. Of course, then you can't use the TV to view something
else while the VCR is recording.

If you want to be able to record digital broadcasts directly, while using
the TV to view a different programme, then your VCR will have to have its
own digital receiver as well as the analogue receiver it already has (and
which allows it to record analogue programmes independently from the TV).

If the VCR doesn't have its own built-in digital receiver then you will
need to connect it to a 'digibox', tune the digibox to the required
channel, and set the VCR to record from the digibox [1]. You may need an
aerial booster/splitter to get a good signal on both the new TV and the
digibox at the same time, and the connections between the various boxes
can get complicated. There are multi-way SCART switches (from Maplin,
Curry's, etc) that make it easier to record from the digibox to the VCR
and then play back from the VCR to the TV.

[1] Some VCRs and digiboxes can be set up to make this much easier than it
sounds, eg the digibox may have VCR-like recording settings which will
wake up the digibox and tune to the appropriate channel at a pre-set time,
and the VCR may be able to detect the digibox waking up and start
recording from it immediately.

--
-- Whiskers