Velocity Reviews

-   -   Deleting multiple pictures (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t474952-deleting-multiple-pictures.html)

colder 08-24-2006 04:04 PM

Deleting multiple pictures

Hi:
When I try to delete multiple pictures,by using CTRL key and highlighting
the pictures I want deleted.
I do not want to Select All.
If I try doing this with more than about 4 of them at a time,my computer
makes a,"Copy," of each one I highlighted at the end of the list.
Help!!!!
Thanks

dadiOH 08-24-2006 04:35 PM

Re: Deleting multiple pictures

colder wrote:
> Hi:
> When I try to delete multiple pictures,by using CTRL key and
> highlighting the pictures I want deleted.
> I do not want to Select All.
> If I try doing this with more than about 4 of them at a time,my
> computer makes a,"Copy," of each one I highlighted at the end of
> the list. Help!!!!
> Thanks

It sounds like you are moving the mouse; i.e., dragging the
selected...that would do what you describe.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

joevan 08-24-2006 04:43 PM

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:04:28 -0700, "colder" <colder3re1@my.car.mg> wrote:

>Hi:
>When I try to delete multiple pictures,by using CTRL key and highlighting
>the pictures I want deleted.
>I do not want to Select All.
>If I try doing this with more than about 4 of them at a time,my computer
>makes a,"Copy," of each one I highlighted at the end of the list.
> Help!!!!
> Thanks

When holding the control key down, are you clicking the mouse once for each
picture and not moving it until you want to select another. Maybe your
mouse is set incorrectly. Could it be too sensitive.
and for the same reason."

colder 08-24-2006 04:57 PM

"joevan" <joevanudity@joevanudity.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:04:28 -0700, "colder" <colder3re1@my.car.mg> wrote:
>
>>Hi:
>>When I try to delete multiple pictures,by using CTRL key and highlighting
>>the pictures I want deleted.
>>I do not want to Select All.
>>If I try doing this with more than about 4 of them at a time,my computer
>>makes a,"Copy," of each one I highlighted at the end of the list.
>> Help!!!!
>> Thanks
>>

> When holding the control key down, are you clicking the mouse once for
> each
> picture and not moving it until you want to select another. Maybe your
> mouse is set incorrectly. Could it be too sensitive.

> -- Yes,clicking once for each picture.

I don't think my mouse is set too sensitive?I've always used it this way.
Only have this problem with the above scenario.
I've had this problem forever,but finally thought i'd ask.
Oh,I use Windows XP.
Thanks

joevan 08-24-2006 05:17 PM

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:57:56 -0700, "colder" <colder3re1@my.car.mg> wrote:

>"joevan" <joevanudity@joevanudity.com> wrote in message
>news:mplre29r9ead8ad00as9o1hrd6t9opuo9s@4ax.com.. .
>> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:04:28 -0700, "colder" <colder3re1@my.car.mg> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi:
>>>When I try to delete multiple pictures,by using CTRL key and highlighting
>>>the pictures I want deleted.
>>>I do not want to Select All.
>>>If I try doing this with more than about 4 of them at a time,my computer
>>>makes a,"Copy," of each one I highlighted at the end of the list.
>>> Help!!!!
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> When holding the control key down, are you clicking the mouse once for
>> each
>> picture and not moving it until you want to select another. Maybe your
>> mouse is set incorrectly. Could it be too sensitive.

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> -- Yes,clicking once for each picture.

>I don't think my mouse is set too sensitive?I've always used it this way.
>Only have this problem with the above scenario.
>I've had this problem forever,but finally thought i'd ask.
>Oh,I use Windows XP.
>Thanks

Does it happen with a different mouse. Have you tried another one?
and for the same reason."

colder 08-24-2006 05:20 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
>I do have to admit,I have done it in a hurry.

I'll try slowing down next time,and see if that works.
I move over 100 or so shots at times.(Security camera Pix.)
Hate to slow down. :--)
Thanks,I'll try it.

colder 08-24-2006 05:25 PM

Re: Deleting multiple pictures

>>"joevan" <joevanudity@joevanudity.com> wrote in message
>>news:mplre29r9ead8ad00as9o1hrd6t9opuo9s@4ax.com. ..

>>> When holding the control key down, are you clicking the mouse once for
>>> each
>>> picture and not moving it until you want to select another. Maybe your
>>> mouse is set incorrectly. Could it be too sensitive.

>>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> -- Yes,clicking once for each picture.

>>I don't think my mouse is set too sensitive?I've always used it this way.
>>Only have this problem with the above scenario.
>>I've had this problem forever,but finally thought i'd ask.
>>Oh,I use Windows XP.
>>Thanks
>>

> Does it happen with a different mouse. Have you tried another one?

No,don't have another.
Another person also mentioned I might be getting in a hurry and moving the
mouse a bit while clicking it.
I'll try going slower,and make sure I hold the mouse still.
Thanks

PeeCee 08-24-2006 10:16 PM

"colder" <colder3re1@my.car.mg> wrote in message
news:ovSdnTyA5uOQU3DZnZ2dnUVZ_uqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Hi:
> When I try to delete multiple pictures,by using CTRL key and highlighting
> the pictures I want deleted.
> I do not want to Select All.
> If I try doing this with more than about 4 of them at a time,my computer
> makes a,"Copy," of each one I highlighted at the end of the list.
> Help!!!!
> Thanks

Colder

Your problems are almost certainly a mouse click/coordination problem.
I see it quite often when I teach people the 'Shift/Ctl' click options.

The one that catches me is the Ctrl A to select all, Del to delete all,
Enter to confirm key sequence when clearing cache folders.
My mind and fingers are so used to that combination that quite frequently
the computer will miss the 'Del' key and try and open all the selected files
(ie it sees Ctrl A then Enter)

As others have suggested 'slow down'

Sigh, so much to do, so little time.

Paul.

colder 08-24-2006 10:25 PM

"PeeCee" <abuse@local.host> wrote in message

> "colder" <colder3re1@my.car.mg> wrote in message
> news:ovSdnTyA5uOQU3DZnZ2dnUVZ_uqdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Hi:
>> When I try to delete multiple pictures,by using CTRL key and
>> highlighting the pictures I want deleted.
>> I do not want to Select All.
>> If I try doing this with more than about 4 of them at a time,my computer
>> makes a,"Copy," of each one I highlighted at the end of the list.
>> Help!!!!
>> Thanks

> Colder
>
> Your problems are almost certainly a mouse click/coordination problem.
> I see it quite often when I teach people the 'Shift/Ctl' click options.
>
> The one that catches me is the Ctrl A to select all, Del to delete all,
> Enter to confirm key sequence when clearing cache folders.
> My mind and fingers are so used to that combination that quite frequently
> the computer will miss the 'Del' key and try and open all the selected
> files (ie it sees Ctrl A then Enter)
>
> As others have suggested 'slow down'
>
> Sigh, so much to do, so little time.
>
> Paul.

Well,i'll sure try the,"Slow down routine."
Thanks all.

thanatoid 08-25-2006 02:12 AM

Re: Deleting multiple pictures

"colder" <colder3re1@my.car.mg> wrote in

> Hi:
> When I try to delete multiple pictures,by using CTRL key
> and highlighting the pictures I want deleted.
> I do not want to Select All.
> If I try doing this with more than about 4 of them at a
> time,my computer makes a,"Copy," of each one I highlighted
> at the end of the list.
> Help!!!!
> Thanks

The mouse makes a lot of things easier, but even more things
harder and slower. There are admittedly some things a mouse is
essential for, but less than you would think.

Instead of using the mouse with your task, you should be using
the up and down arrow and spacebar keys.

Hold down Ctl and hit up or down until you get to the file you
want to highlight (for copying, moving, deletion, or whatever).
When you do, hit the spacebar, the file will be highlighted.
Keep on doing this. If it's ALL the files in the directory, just
hit Ctl-A, or if it's ALMOST all, hit Ctl-A and then de-select
the ones you don't want using the same method.

Once you've highlighted all the files, use the appropriate
shortcut to do what you want to do with them. If all you want to
do is delete, just hit the Delete key. Done. (Clean out your
Recycle Bin once in a while.)

(Admittedly, depending on WHAT you want to do, this CAN be a
little tricky depending on the features of your particular
application. Windows Explorer, for instance, appears to have
been designed to drive people crazy more than anything else.
There are hundreds of superior alternatives for managing your
files, many free.)

When you get good at this you'll find out an additional thing
you can do using the Shift key along with the others I
mentioned, but I'll let you discover this one on your own.

95% of things people laboriously move the mouse a few hundredths
of an inch to achieve can be done without errors and almost
instantly using a combination of quickly-learned keyboard
shortcut combinations.

For instance, an astounding amount of people do not know that by
holding down Ctl and using the left and right arrows you jump by
word not by letter. Get where you want, and then holding Shift
and Ctl down, hit the left (or right) arrow and you will
highlight the word(s) you want to change. Why waste 10 (or more)
seconds trying to highlight it (them) with the stupid mouse? And
you can highlight any single word just by double clicking, and
in some applications, an entire line or a paragraph with three
clicks.

Not to mention most mice need a cleaning every few weeks.
Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's a half-hour job.