Velocity Reviews

-   -   Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t474410-core-2-duo-pc-keeps-shutting-down-itself-after-2-seconds-and-booting-up-nonstop.html)

ss6nn1@googlemail.com 08-09-2006 04:06 PM

Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop

Turn machine on,
CPU fan spins,
No beep,
No signal to monitor,
2 seconds later,
Turns off itself,
2 seconds of silence,
Boots itself up again,
2 seconds later,
Turns off itself,
Repeat,
Repeat,
etc.

What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?

NOTE: It worked when I first booted the machine after building it, went
into BIOS, checked temps, etc.

Margolotta 08-09-2006 04:24 PM

Re: Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:06:55 +0100, ss6nn1@googlemail.com wrote
(in article <1155139615.521843.202380@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>):

> Turn machine on,
> CPU fan spins,
> No beep,
> No signal to monitor,
> 2 seconds later,
> Turns off itself,
> 2 seconds of silence,
> Boots itself up again,
> 2 seconds later,
> Turns off itself,
> Repeat,
> Repeat,
> etc.
>
> What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?
>
> NOTE: It worked when I first booted the machine after building it, went
> into BIOS, checked temps, etc.

Well, I'd go with the obvious first and swap out the PSU. It could be either
under-rated or faulty.

I'd stake everything in my bank account that it's neither the motherboard or
CPU. Sounds like a typical PSU issue to me...

ss6nn1@googlemail.com 08-09-2006 04:25 PM

Re: Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop

ss6nn1@googlemail.com wrote:
> Turn machine on,
> CPU fan spins,
> No beep,
> No signal to monitor,
> 2 seconds later,
> Turns off itself,
> 2 seconds of silence,
> Boots itself up again,
> 2 seconds later,
> Turns off itself,
> Repeat,
> Repeat,
> etc.
>
> What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?
>
> NOTE: It worked when I first booted the machine after building it, went
> into BIOS, checked temps, etc.

I forgot to mention, the machine doesn't shut down itself and boot up
non-stop if I remove the CPU, could that be a faulty CPU or damage
motherboad pins?

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
Mobo: Gigabyte GA 965P DQ6

ss6nn1@googlemail.com 08-09-2006 04:31 PM

Margolotta wrote:
> Well, I'd go with the obvious first and swap out the PSU. It could be either
> under-rated or faulty.
>
> I'd stake everything in my bank account that it's neither the motherboard or
> CPU. Sounds like a typical PSU issue to me...

The PSU is:
Seasonic S12 Series 500W SLI Certified ATX2.0 PSU

After booting the machine up without the CPU installed and the reboot
cycle not occuring, I think it might be a damage CPU? Or could it be
damage socket?

John McGaw 08-09-2006 04:32 PM

Re: Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds andbooting up nonstop

ss6nn1@googlemail.com wrote:
> ss6nn1@googlemail.com wrote:
>> Turn machine on,
>> CPU fan spins,
>> No beep,
>> No signal to monitor,
>> 2 seconds later,
>> Turns off itself,
>> 2 seconds of silence,
>> Boots itself up again,
>> 2 seconds later,
>> Turns off itself,
>> Repeat,
>> Repeat,
>> etc.
>>
>> What could be the problem? Motherboard or CPU?
>>
>> NOTE: It worked when I first booted the machine after building it, went
>> into BIOS, checked temps, etc.

> I forgot to mention, the machine doesn't shut down itself and boot up
> non-stop if I remove the CPU, could that be a faulty CPU or damage
> motherboad pins?
>
> CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
> Mobo: Gigabyte GA 965P DQ6

If you remove the CPU the computer is not a computer -- it is just some
semi-inert electronic parts. It can't try to boot so it cannot reboot.

Are you able to get into the BIOS during the boot-reboot cycle you
described in your original post? I would suggest that you clear your
CMOS, the procedure should be described in your manual, and then try to
get into the BIOS to load the default settings.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Cub 08-09-2006 04:51 PM

Re: Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop

> I forgot to mention, the machine doesn't shut down itself and boot up
> non-stop if I remove the CPU, could that be a faulty CPU or damage
> motherboad pins?

If I remove the CPU and incert a jelly baby would that cure it !

FFS take it to someone that understands hardware before you F**K it up

Did you even use a wrist strap to avoid static when you ripped the chip out
?

FFS !

ss6nn1@googlemail.com 08-09-2006 05:04 PM

John McGaw wrote:
> Are you able to get into the BIOS during the boot-reboot cycle you
> described in your original post?

No, no BIOS screen, no memory check, no signal to monitor.

> I would suggest that you clear your
> CMOS, the procedure should be described in your manual, and then try to
> get into the BIOS to load the default settings.

Just cleared the CMOS, still the same.

Toolman Tim 08-09-2006 06:31 PM

Re: Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop

ss6nn1@googlemail.com wrote:
> Margolotta wrote:
>> Well, I'd go with the obvious first and swap out the PSU. It could
>> be either under-rated or faulty.
>>
>> I'd stake everything in my bank account that it's neither the
>> motherboard or CPU. Sounds like a typical PSU issue to me...

> The PSU is:
> Seasonic S12 Series 500W SLI Certified ATX2.0 PSU
>
> After booting the machine up without the CPU installed and the reboot
> cycle not occuring, I think it might be a damage CPU? Or could it be
> damage socket?

Not likely the CPU, since a dead/damaged CPU usually acts pretty much
exactly as /no/ CPU.

Have you taken EVERYTHING out of the system except motherboard, 1 stick of
RAM, CPU and video card /then/ tried booting? (No drives, minimal RAM, etc.)

ss6nn1@googlemail.com 08-09-2006 06:42 PM

Toolman Tim wrote:
> Not likely the CPU, since a dead/damaged CPU usually acts pretty much
> exactly as /no/ CPU.
>
> Have you taken EVERYTHING out of the system except motherboard, 1 stick of
> RAM, CPU and video card /then/ tried booting? (No drives, minimal RAM, etc.)

Yes, I did.

Anyway I just ordered a new CPU and motherboard, I'll replace and swap
and see which is the faulty component and send it back for DOA to
retailer. Then when I get the DOA replacement I'll build a second
workstation.

I'd love to get a Dell Precision workstation instead of building my own
workstations (too many headaches), but I need a workstation that
support four or more monitors for daytrading (hence dual PCI-E
motherboard which Dell Precisions don't have).

Toolman Tim 08-09-2006 06:55 PM

Re: Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop

ss6nn1@googlemail.com wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> Not likely the CPU, since a dead/damaged CPU usually acts pretty much
>> exactly as /no/ CPU.
>>
>> Have you taken EVERYTHING out of the system except motherboard, 1
>> stick of RAM, CPU and video card /then/ tried booting? (No drives,
>> minimal RAM, etc.)
>>

> Yes, I did.
>
> Anyway I just ordered a new CPU and motherboard, I'll replace and swap
> and see which is the faulty component and send it back for DOA to
> retailer. Then when I get the DOA replacement I'll build a second
> workstation.

Good luck - I'd be doing the same about now <g>

> I'd love to get a Dell Precision workstation instead of building my
> own workstations (too many headaches), but I need a workstation that
> support four or more monitors for daytrading (hence dual PCI-E
> motherboard which Dell Precisions don't have).

Well, you can get a 4-head PCIe video card and put it in any PCIe slotted
system...granted, it ain't cheap :)
http://www.widgetsinc.com/shop/product511.html