Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is MCSE cert really worth the money??? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t47440-is-mcse-cert-really-worth-the-money.html)

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBC?= 11-06-2003 05:31 PM

Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

I've completed my MCSE training, courtesy of my employer. The exams, however, are my responsibility and money IS an issue. All of my experience outside of the training is strictly real-world; that is to say I have very little on-the-job training, so to speak. I am very knowledgeable though, and have no problem building or administrating networks involving PCs and MACs. Can someone please tell me if the expense of the exams would likely be worth it to me, or would I most likely be wasting my time and money?

Consultant 11-06-2003 05:38 PM

Re: Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

will you get a raise if you obtain it? are you looking for another position
which requires it?

chris 11-06-2003 05:39 PM

Re: Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

I believe it's well worth it.

I completed the MCSE in September, at my own expense. I didn't pay for
classes, just the books/tests and taught myself (along with real world exp.
and a home-lab)
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and this area has been hit HARD by the
fallout.

Well, I started getting calls as soon as I had that MCSE on my rez, and got
a job a week after whereas before I got *zero* calls back.

So yeah, it's worth it.

There may be ways to qualify for discounts on the exams on the web.....look
around for exam vouchers and stuff.

Good luck.

Consultant 11-06-2003 05:45 PM

Re: Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

your situation may have been timing too, without the cert you may have
landed the same job. ask your employer

dlw 11-06-2003 05:48 PM

RE: Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

Let's say the company you work for goes under because they
spend too much money on employee training. :) You now
have to find another job. Look in the paper and see how
many positions require an MCSE. See also how many are
looking for help desk people and what those jobs pay.
That should give you your answer.

Jtyc 11-06-2003 05:53 PM

Re: Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

> Well, I started getting calls as soon as I had that MCSE on my rez, and
got
> a job a week after whereas before I got *zero* calls back.

You coulda just put MCSE on your resume anyway and the filters woulda picked
it up.

chris 11-06-2003 05:56 PM

Re: Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

oh, I forgot to mention that the position did require MCSE.

But I got calls back from several companies, some did require and others did
not.

Just get that piece of paper. If you are only paying for the tests, then
it's like 875 bucks total.

that could easily be spent on cigarettes, coffee, beer, or name your vice
;)

chris

Consultant 11-06-2003 06:00 PM

Re: Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

beer and cheap women!

Ken Briscoe 11-06-2003 06:28 PM

Re: Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

> that could easily be spent on cigarettes, coffee, beer, or name your vice

Tom Selleck.

As in, Miami Vice...

perverts....

--

KB - MCNGP #26

Ken Briscoe 11-06-2003 06:31 PM

Re: Is MCSE cert really worth the money???

> Let's say the company you work for goes under because they
> spend too much money on employee training. :) You now
> have to find another job. Look in the paper and see how
> many positions require an MCSE. See also how many are
> looking for help desk people and what those jobs pay.
> That should give you your answer.

These aren't mutually exclusive...I've seen help desk jobs that require
MCSE. It's the economy's fault. There aren't many help desk positions that
actually *need* an MCSE to fill them. It's just that there are a bunch who
need jobs, so why not go for the MCSE's, as opposed to A+/Net+ or MCPs, as
would probably be required for that level position. Sucks, but that's how it
is for the moment....looks like things are beginning to turn around though.
Maybe within the next year or two, MCSEs will be MCSEs again.

--

KB - MCNGP #26