Velocity Reviews

-   -   Open link in scheduled tasks? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t474177-open-link-in-scheduled-tasks.html)

Tony 08-03-2006 12:43 PM

Open link in scheduled tasks?

I want to open a certain web page on a certain date
I copied the link to the desktop (Windows XP)
and then ran scheduled tasks then selected that link
to run at the time I wanted it to, so far so good
but when it came to the designated time nothing happened.

Scheduled tasks works fine with most apps but
I'm thinking it wont work with links. I suppose I
could set it to open a reminder in notepad.

If anyone could help me with this problem it
would be most appreciated.

Snp 08-03-2006 01:00 PM

Re: Open link in scheduled tasks?

"Tony" <Tony@TheNet.NET> wrote in message
>I want to open a certain web page on a certain date
> I copied the link to the desktop (Windows XP)
> and then ran scheduled tasks then selected that link
> to run at the time I wanted it to, so far so good
> but when it came to the designated time nothing happened.
>
> Scheduled tasks works fine with most apps but
> I'm thinking it wont work with links. I suppose I
> could set it to open a reminder in notepad.
>
> If anyone could help me with this problem it
> would be most appreciated.

I got this to work by setting a certain web page as my home page in Internet
Explorer then set a scheduled task to open Internet Explorer.
Don't know if this is a solution for you though.?

--
Snp (Gid Auld Fife)
Cut THE CR@P To Reply

Jared 08-03-2006 01:12 PM

Snp wrote:
> "Tony" <Tony@TheNet.NET> wrote in message
> >I want to open a certain web page on a certain date
> > I copied the link to the desktop (Windows XP)
> > and then ran scheduled tasks then selected that link
> > to run at the time I wanted it to, so far so good
> > but when it came to the designated time nothing happened.
> >
> > Scheduled tasks works fine with most apps but
> > I'm thinking it wont work with links. I suppose I
> > could set it to open a reminder in notepad.
> >
> > If anyone could help me with this problem it
> > would be most appreciated.
> >

> I got this to work by setting a certain web page as my home page in Internet
> Explorer then set a scheduled task to open Internet Explorer.
> Don't know if this is a solution for you though.?
>

> --
> Snp (Gid Auld Fife)
> Cut THE CR@P To Reply

Schedualed tasks only opens applications, not stand alone files, which
is what the link becomes if you save it locally as an HTML document.
Snoopy may have the idea on the matter.

Whiskers 08-03-2006 01:34 PM

On 2006-08-03, Tony <Tony@TheNet.NET> wrote:
> I want to open a certain web page on a certain date
> I copied the link to the desktop (Windows XP)
> and then ran scheduled tasks then selected that link
> to run at the time I wanted it to, so far so good
> but when it came to the designated time nothing happened.
>
> Scheduled tasks works fine with most apps but
> I'm thinking it wont work with links. I suppose I
> could set it to open a reminder in notepad.
>
> If anyone could help me with this problem it
> would be most appreciated.

I'm not a Windows user, so this is just a guess, but shouldn't you set the
scheduled task to be to launch your browser with the URL as an 'argument'
to the launch command? A URL is not a 'task'; launching a web browser is.

In Linux, I can issue a command such as

opera -newwindow http://www.google.com/

and the browser will start with that page displayed in a new window. I
would be surprised if Windows couldn't do something like that.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Tony 08-03-2006 04:58 PM

Snp wrote:
> "Tony" <Tony@TheNet.NET> wrote in message
> >I want to open a certain web page on a certain date
> > I copied the link to the desktop (Windows XP)
> > and then ran scheduled tasks then selected that link
> > to run at the time I wanted it to, so far so good
> > but when it came to the designated time nothing happened.
> >
> > Scheduled tasks works fine with most apps but
> > I'm thinking it wont work with links. I suppose I
> > could set it to open a reminder in notepad.
> >
> > If anyone could help me with this problem it
> > would be most appreciated.
> >

> I got this to work by setting a certain web page as my home page in
> Internet
> Explorer then set a scheduled task to open Internet Explorer.
> Don't know if this is a solution for you though.?
>

> --
> Snp (Gid Auld Fife)
> Cut THE CR@P To Reply

>Schedualed tasks only opens applications, not stand alone files, which
>is what the link becomes if you save it locally as an HTML document.
>Snoopy may have the idea on the matter.

I did think of setting the home page to the url I
wanted to schedule, but really that seems to the long
way round. As for scheduled tasks not opening stand alone
files not sure about that as it will open a file saved with notepad
which has a reminder within the text, looks like
this will be the preferred option.

Henry.Usenet@hotmail.com 08-04-2006 02:37 AM

Tony wrote:
> Snp wrote:
> > "Tony" <Tony@TheNet.NET> wrote in message
> > >I want to open a certain web page on a certain date
> > > I copied the link to the desktop (Windows XP)
> > > and then ran scheduled tasks then selected that link
> > > to run at the time I wanted it to, so far so good
> > > but when it came to the designated time nothing happened.
> > >
> > > Scheduled tasks works fine with most apps but
> > > I'm thinking it wont work with links. I suppose I
> > > could set it to open a reminder in notepad.
> > >
> > > If anyone could help me with this problem it
> > > would be most appreciated.
> > >

> > I got this to work by setting a certain web page as my home page in
> > Internet
> > Explorer then set a scheduled task to open Internet Explorer.
> > Don't know if this is a solution for you though.?
> >

> > --
> > Snp (Gid Auld Fife)
> > Cut THE CR@P To Reply

> >Schedualed tasks only opens applications, not stand alone files, which
> >is what the link becomes if you save it locally as an HTML document.
> >Snoopy may have the idea on the matter.

> I did think of setting the home page to the url I
> wanted to schedule, but really that seems to the long
> way round. As for scheduled tasks not opening stand alone
> files not sure about that as it will open a file saved with notepad
> which has a reminder within the text, looks like
> this will be the preferred option.

Jarad is right, the problem is that Scheduled Tasks needs to open an
application. When you create a shortcut from within Internet Explorer,
the application information is not stored with the shortcut. When you
save a file with notepad, the application information is being saved as
well.

What you need to do is create a shortcut to IEXPLORE.EXE. Then, open
the Properties for the shortcut. In the Target field on the Shortcut
Tab, leave a space after the closing quote and then append the URL of
the web page you want to open. When this shortcut is started with
Scheduled Tasks, the browser opens at the specified page instead of the
home page.

Henry 08-04-2006 03:01 AM

Tony wrote:
> Snp wrote:
> > "Tony" <Tony@TheNet.NET> wrote in message
> > >I want to open a certain web page on a certain date
> > > I copied the link to the desktop (Windows XP)
> > > and then ran scheduled tasks then selected that link
> > > to run at the time I wanted it to, so far so good
> > > but when it came to the designated time nothing happened.
> > >
> > > Scheduled tasks works fine with most apps but
> > > I'm thinking it wont work with links. I suppose I
> > > could set it to open a reminder in notepad.
> > >
> > > If anyone could help me with this problem it
> > > would be most appreciated.
> > >

> > I got this to work by setting a certain web page as my home page in
> > Internet
> > Explorer then set a scheduled task to open Internet Explorer.
> > Don't know if this is a solution for you though.?
> >

> > --
> > Snp (Gid Auld Fife)
> > Cut THE CR@P To Reply

> >Schedualed tasks only opens applications, not stand alone files, which
> >is what the link becomes if you save it locally as an HTML document.
> >Snoopy may have the idea on the matter.

> I did think of setting the home page to the url I
> wanted to schedule, but really that seems to the long
> way round. As for scheduled tasks not opening stand alone
> files not sure about that as it will open a file saved with notepad
> which has a reminder within the text, looks like
> this will be the preferred option.

Jarad is right, the problem is that Scheduled Tasks needs to open an
application. When you create a shortcut from within Internet Explorer,
the application information is not saved with the shortcut. When you
save a file with Notepad, the application information is saved as well.

What you need to do is create a shortcut to IEXPLORE.EXE. Then open
the Properties for the shortcut. In the Target field on the Shortcut
tab, leave a space after the closing quote and then append the URL of
the web page you want to open. When this shortcut is triggered by
Scheduled Tasks, the browser will open at the specified page, instead
of the home page.

claron 11-22-2012 03:48 AM

Ah, thanks Henry. So you helped me figure out the best solution: in Scheduled Tasks, create a task to open Internet Explorer; once you're done creating this task, go to its Properties and in the "Run" box, after blahblahblah\iexplore.exe type the URL you want starting with http. Just tried it on XP, it works!