Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Help. SONY VAIO notebook computer CD ROM does not work (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t473753-help-sony-vaio-notebook-computer-cd-rom-does-not-work.html)

smithsfallsbuilding@yahoo.com 07-24-2006 01:38 AM

Help. SONY VAIO notebook computer CD ROM does not work
 
I have a old SONY VAIO PCG F630 (windows ME) notebook computer. I just
want to reinstall with the recovery/reinstallation CDs. but the CD ROM
does not open or does not work. The green light was never on. I tried
to eject from my computer disk drive icon but failed.

I believe if I reinstall the CDs it may work. The notebook connected in
my home network and I tried to run the recovery CDs from another
connected computer, but it only pops up some dos screen. I went to the
SONY computer website and could not find the driver for CD rom.

Any suggestion to fix it? Any website achives such driver? Thanks.


Toolman Tim 07-24-2006 02:05 AM

Re: Help. SONY VAIO notebook computer CD ROM does not work
 
smithsfallsbuilding@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have a old SONY VAIO PCG F630 (windows ME) notebook computer. I just
> want to reinstall with the recovery/reinstallation CDs. but the CD ROM
> does not open or does not work. The green light was never on. I tried
> to eject from my computer disk drive icon but failed.
>
> I believe if I reinstall the CDs it may work. The notebook connected
> in my home network and I tried to run the recovery CDs from another
> connected computer, but it only pops up some dos screen. I went to the
> SONY computer website and could not find the driver for CD rom.
>
> Any suggestion to fix it? Any website achives such driver? Thanks.


Windows does not need drivers for standard CD ROM drives. If the light
doesn't come on, and the eject button doesn't work, it's very unlikely that
it's a Windows problem, but more likely a dead drive. If there is a small
hole in the face of the drive, you can use a paperclip to manually release
the door opening mechanism, and try putting a disk in. If Windows reads the
disk, you may be in luck for your reinstall. I've seen drives that function
correctly when a disk is in them, but the eject mechanism doesn't work. But
I'd put money on it being totally dead. You can often get replacement drives
on eBay fairly cheap for most laptops.

--
When I was a child, I remember my Mom telling me, "Son, when you grow
up, you can marry any girl you please." When I became a young man, I
learned the sad fact was that I could not please any of them.



Martik 07-24-2006 02:20 AM

Re: Help. SONY VAIO notebook computer CD ROM does not work
 

<smithsfallsbuilding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1153705138.617839.230220@75g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
>I have a old SONY VAIO PCG F630 (windows ME) notebook computer. I just
> want to reinstall with the recovery/reinstallation CDs. but the CD ROM
> does not open or does not work. The green light was never on. I tried
> to eject from my computer disk drive icon but failed.
>
> I believe if I reinstall the CDs it may work. The notebook connected in
> my home network and I tried to run the recovery CDs from another
> connected computer, but it only pops up some dos screen. I went to the
> SONY computer website and could not find the driver for CD rom.
>
> Any suggestion to fix it? Any website achives such driver? Thanks.


Reseat the drive in the slot.



smithsfallsbuilding@yahoo.com 07-24-2006 02:34 AM

Re: Help. SONY VAIO notebook computer CD ROM does not work
 
I never opened a notebook computer. Can I open the back gently and
reset the drive cable?


Martik wrote:
> <smithsfallsbuilding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1153705138.617839.230220@75g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> >I have a old SONY VAIO PCG F630 (windows ME) notebook computer. I just
> > want to reinstall with the recovery/reinstallation CDs. but the CD ROM
> > does not open or does not work. The green light was never on. I tried
> > to eject from my computer disk drive icon but failed.
> >
> > I believe if I reinstall the CDs it may work. The notebook connected in
> > my home network and I tried to run the recovery CDs from another
> > connected computer, but it only pops up some dos screen. I went to the
> > SONY computer website and could not find the driver for CD rom.
> >
> > Any suggestion to fix it? Any website achives such driver? Thanks.

>
> Reseat the drive in the slot.



smithsfallsbuilding@yahoo.com 07-24-2006 02:41 AM

Re: Help. SONY VAIO notebook computer CD ROM does not work
 
thanks, tried the pin opened the cd. But it still does not work. So I
guess I try to open the back for the first time.

Toolman Tim wrote:
> smithsfallsbuilding@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I have a old SONY VAIO PCG F630 (windows ME) notebook computer. I just
> > want to reinstall with the recovery/reinstallation CDs. but the CD ROM
> > does not open or does not work. The green light was never on. I tried
> > to eject from my computer disk drive icon but failed.
> >
> > I believe if I reinstall the CDs it may work. The notebook connected
> > in my home network and I tried to run the recovery CDs from another
> > connected computer, but it only pops up some dos screen. I went to the
> > SONY computer website and could not find the driver for CD rom.
> >
> > Any suggestion to fix it? Any website achives such driver? Thanks.

>
> Windows does not need drivers for standard CD ROM drives. If the light
> doesn't come on, and the eject button doesn't work, it's very unlikely that
> it's a Windows problem, but more likely a dead drive. If there is a small
> hole in the face of the drive, you can use a paperclip to manually release
> the door opening mechanism, and try putting a disk in. If Windows reads the
> disk, you may be in luck for your reinstall. I've seen drives that function
> correctly when a disk is in them, but the eject mechanism doesn't work. But
> I'd put money on it being totally dead. You can often get replacement drives
> on eBay fairly cheap for most laptops.
>
> --
> When I was a child, I remember my Mom telling me, "Son, when you grow
> up, you can marry any girl you please." When I became a young man, I
> learned the sad fact was that I could not please any of them.



visions of effty 07-24-2006 02:46 AM

Re: Help. SONY VAIO notebook computer CD ROM does not work
 

<smithsfallsbuilding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1153708492.742218.192580@75g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
>I never opened a notebook computer. Can I open the back gently and
> reset the drive cable?


Most laptops disassemble from the front. The fisrt step is usually removing
the keyboard. There might be a bezzle or removable keys hiding the snaps
that keep the keyboard in place.

The CD-ROM drive (or whatever is in that bay) is usually the *easiest* thing
to replace on a laptop.

After that, everything becomes a pain in the butt.

~e.




Martik 07-24-2006 02:55 AM

Re: Help. SONY VAIO notebook computer CD ROM does not work
 

<smithsfallsbuilding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1153708492.742218.192580@75g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
>I never opened a notebook computer. Can I open the back gently and
> reset the drive cable?


The drive should slip out from the front, sometimes they come loose from the
internal slot. Pull it out part way and reseat it by pushing back in as far
as it will go.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.