Velocity Reviews

-   -   virtual memory (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t473591-virtual-memory.html)

davo 07-19-2006 05:01 PM

virtual memory

I received notice that my virtual memory minimum is too low. I know how to
increase the file size-currently it's 473 MB. But what kinds of things
should I look at to decrease my usage--i generally only email and have a few
pics etc
I'm a novie, so novice language would help--thanks!
Windows XP SP 2

Jimchip 07-19-2006 05:12 PM

Re: virtual memory

On 2006-07-19, davo <davo@craigheadinvalid.net> wrote:
> I received notice that my virtual memory minimum is too low. I know how to
> increase the file size-currently it's 473 MB. But what kinds of things
> should I look at to decrease my usage--i generally only email and have a few
> pics etc
> I'm a novie, so novice language would help--thanks!
> Windows XP SP 2

Let windows manage it. Don't set it yourself:
Right click "My Computer">properties>Advanced>Performance
settings>Advanced (performance options)>virtual memory (change)

Then when you get to the virtual memory window, left-click the "system
managed size" button, right-click "set" and say OK to everything as you
back out of the windows.

Repeat the above sequence if you have special needs but it's usually
better to let Windows manage you virtual memory.

--
Deliberation, n.:
The act of examining one's bread to determine which side it is

John Holmes 07-19-2006 05:54 PM

Re: virtual memory

davo "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I received notice that my virtual memory minimum is too low. I know
> how to increase the file size-currently it's 473 MB. But what kinds of
> things should I look at to decrease my usage--i generally only email
> and have a few pics etc
> I'm a novie, so novice language would help--thanks!
> Windows XP SP 2

Stop visiting pr0n sites.

--
Your mother was a mean amateur musician who contracted venereal diseases
in disused film sets.

Clogwog 07-19-2006 07:28 PM

Re: virtual memory

John Holmes wrote:
> davo "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> I received notice that my virtual memory minimum is too low. I know
>> how to increase the file size-currently it's 473 MB. But what kinds
>> of things should I look at to decrease my usage--i generally only
>> email and have a few pics etc
>> I'm a novie, so novice language would help--thanks!
>> Windows XP SP 2
>>

> Stop visiting pr0n sites.

Except John Holmes movie sites?

John Holmes 07-19-2006 08:36 PM

Re: virtual memory

Clogwog "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> John Holmes wrote:
>> davo "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> I received notice that my virtual memory minimum is too low. I know
>>> how to increase the file size-currently it's 473 MB. But what kinds
>>> of things should I look at to decrease my usage--i generally only
>>> email and have a few pics etc
>>> I'm a novie, so novice language would help--thanks!
>>> Windows XP SP 2
>>>

>> Stop visiting pr0n sites.

> Except John Holmes movie sites?

Not even those...

--
Your mother was an apolitical cretin who lived a life of sin and misery
in a padded cell.