Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer won't start (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t473485-computer-wont-start.html)

Mike 07-17-2006 01:17 AM

Computer won't start

My daughter's computer (a Compaq Presario S4020WM) will not start up as
of this morning. It was working fine last night before she had a freeze
while on a MySpace board. She opened something and said it started to
make a weird noise and then just kinda froze her screen, so she reached
down and powered it off by holding the power button for 5 seconds. When
she went to turn it back on, nothing.

I have it all apart right now and everything seems like it should work.
When I turn it on, the hard drive fires up (you can hear it spin) and
the fans all kick on (on the processor and the power supply). The
monitor will not kick on though and there are no beeps or anything
suggesting a problem. I have tried multiple monitors and video cards
that I know for a fact work on my other computer, but still can't get
the thing to even boot or acknowledge the monitor by coming out of
amber state (it's like it is in sleep mode immediately upon bootup). I
have tried hitting F1, F10, and DEL to try and enter the BIOS or
something but to no avail.

Could it most likely have been a virus that maybe wiped her hard drive
clean or something. My next step was going to be to take her hard drive
and put it my computer as a slave to see if her stuff was still intact.

Any suggestions that I may try first.

Thank you much,
Mike

FML 07-17-2006 01:35 AM

Re: Computer won't start

Mike wrote:
> My daughter's computer (a Compaq Presario S4020WM) will not start up as
> of this morning. It was working fine last night before she had a freeze
> while on a MySpace board. She opened something and said it started to
> make a weird noise and then just kinda froze her screen, so she reached
> down and powered it off by holding the power button for 5 seconds. When
> she went to turn it back on, nothing.
>
> I have it all apart right now and everything seems like it should work.
> When I turn it on, the hard drive fires up (you can hear it spin) and
> the fans all kick on (on the processor and the power supply). The
> monitor will not kick on though and there are no beeps or anything
> suggesting a problem. I have tried multiple monitors and video cards
> that I know for a fact work on my other computer, but still can't get
> the thing to even boot or acknowledge the monitor by coming out of
> amber state (it's like it is in sleep mode immediately upon bootup). I
> have tried hitting F1, F10, and DEL to try and enter the BIOS or
> something but to no avail.
>
> Could it most likely have been a virus that maybe wiped her hard drive
> clean or something. My next step was going to be to take her hard drive
> and put it my computer as a slave to see if her stuff was still intact.
>
> Any suggestions that I may try first.
>
> Thank you much,
> Mike

If it were a bad hard drive, you would more than likely get some video
from the POST of the motherboard. Have you tried firing it up with a
minimum amount of hardware installed (cpu, fan, 1 stick of RAM, video
card - no drives)?

GHalleck 07-17-2006 01:44 AM

Re: Computer won't start

Mike wrote:

> My daughter's computer (a Compaq Presario S4020WM) will not start up as
> of this morning. It was working fine last night before she had a freeze
> while on a MySpace board. She opened something and said it started to
> make a weird noise and then just kinda froze her screen, so she reached
> down and powered it off by holding the power button for 5 seconds. When
> she went to turn it back on, nothing.
>
> I have it all apart right now and everything seems like it should work.
> When I turn it on, the hard drive fires up (you can hear it spin) and
> the fans all kick on (on the processor and the power supply). The
> monitor will not kick on though and there are no beeps or anything
> suggesting a problem. I have tried multiple monitors and video cards
> that I know for a fact work on my other computer, but still can't get
> the thing to even boot or acknowledge the monitor by coming out of
> amber state (it's like it is in sleep mode immediately upon bootup). I
> have tried hitting F1, F10, and DEL to try and enter the BIOS or
> something but to no avail.
>
> Could it most likely have been a virus that maybe wiped her hard drive
> clean or something. My next step was going to be to take her hard drive
> and put it my computer as a slave to see if her stuff was still intact.
>
> Any suggestions that I may try first.
>
> Thank you much,
> Mike

By all means test the individual components in a known working
system but, at the same time, also be wary that any part might
have become defective. The description is that of a hardware
catastrophy that can range from a fried CPU or a PSU, etc.

Jerry G. 07-17-2006 02:33 AM

Re: Computer won't start

What you got left is RAM, mother board, and power supply. Try those!

When the computer starts, if the power supply, mother board, video card,
monitor, and RAM are working well, you should get the post.

--

Jerry G.
======

news:1153099051.800435.174490@s13g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

Martik 07-17-2006 03:58 AM

Re: Computer won't start

"Mike" <mpower71@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1153099051.800435.174490@s13g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> My daughter's computer (a Compaq Presario S4020WM) will not start up as
> of this morning. It was working fine last night before she had a freeze
> while on a MySpace board. She opened something and said it started to
> make a weird noise and then just kinda froze her screen, so she reached
> down and powered it off by holding the power button for 5 seconds. When
> she went to turn it back on, nothing.
>
> I have it all apart right now and everything seems like it should work.
> When I turn it on, the hard drive fires up (you can hear it spin) and
> the fans all kick on (on the processor and the power supply). The
> monitor will not kick on though and there are no beeps or anything
> suggesting a problem. I have tried multiple monitors and video cards
> that I know for a fact work on my other computer, but still can't get
> the thing to even boot or acknowledge the monitor by coming out of
> amber state (it's like it is in sleep mode immediately upon bootup). I
> have tried hitting F1, F10, and DEL to try and enter the BIOS or
> something but to no avail.
>
> Could it most likely have been a virus that maybe wiped her hard drive
> clean or something. My next step was going to be to take her hard drive
> and put it my computer as a slave to see if her stuff was still intact.
>
> Any suggestions that I may try first.
>
> Thank you much,
> Mike

Remove 1 stick of ram and/or move it to another slot. I had the same problem
recently and it was a bad memory slot.

Mike 07-17-2006 04:44 AM

Re: Computer won't start

> If it were a bad hard drive, you would more than likely get some video
> from the POST of the motherboard. Have you tried firing it up with a
> minimum amount of hardware installed (cpu, fan, 1 stick of RAM, video
> card - no drives)?

Tried that but nothing.

Mike

Mike 07-17-2006 04:46 AM

Re: Computer won't start

> By all means test the individual components in a known working
> system but, at the same time, also be wary that any part might
> have become defective. The description is that of a hardware
> catastrophy that can range from a fried CPU or a PSU, etc.

That's what I am afraid of. The PSU still seems okay though (by that I
mean the green light is on the back and the fan is working and
everything). I hope it isn't the CPU.

Mike

Mike 07-17-2006 04:48 AM

Re: Computer won't start

Jerry G. wrote:
> What you got left is RAM, mother board, and power supply. Try those!
>
> When the computer starts, if the power supply, mother board, video card,
> monitor, and RAM are working well, you should get the post.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> ======

Don't know if this will help or not, but when I started it up minus
everything (memory, monitor, keyboard and mouse) it didn't beep or do
anything different from when I have been starting it with everything
attached to it. Does that mean anything in particular?

Mike

Mike 07-17-2006 04:49 AM

Re: Computer won't start

Tried that to with no luck.

Mike

Barry OGrady 07-17-2006 06:28 AM

Re: Computer won't start

On 16 Jul 2006 18:17:31 -0700, "Mike" <mpower71@gmail.com> wrote:

>My daughter's computer (a Compaq Presario S4020WM) will not start up as
>of this morning. It was working fine last night before she had a freeze
>while on a MySpace board. She opened something and said it started to
>make a weird noise and then just kinda froze her screen, so she reached
>down and powered it off by holding the power button for 5 seconds. When
>she went to turn it back on, nothing.
>
>I have it all apart right now and everything seems like it should work.
>When I turn it on, the hard drive fires up (you can hear it spin) and
>the fans all kick on (on the processor and the power supply). The
>monitor will not kick on though and there are no beeps or anything
>suggesting a problem. I have tried multiple monitors and video cards
>that I know for a fact work on my other computer, but still can't get
>the thing to even boot or acknowledge the monitor by coming out of
>amber state (it's like it is in sleep mode immediately upon bootup). I
>have tried hitting F1, F10, and DEL to try and enter the BIOS or
>something but to no avail.
>
>Could it most likely have been a virus that maybe wiped her hard drive
>clean or something. My next step was going to be to take her hard drive
>and put it my computer as a slave to see if her stuff was still intact.
>
>Any suggestions that I may try first.

Its not the hard drive if it won't POST.
I have the same problem with a 2.4 Ghz Celeron desktop.
It could be the power supply. Mine has two sticks of 256 meg DDR RAM
and I tried each one at a time to no avail.
Mine seems to be temperature sensitive in that if I leave it powered on for
say 20 minutes I may then be able to get it to boot.

>Thank you much,
>Mike

Barry
=====