Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer freezes with external USB hard drives - jump drives work (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t473328-computer-freezes-with-external-usb-hard-drives-jump-drives-work.html)

Zap Eagle 07-12-2006 09:38 PM

Computer freezes with external USB hard drives - jump drives work

I have Windows Media Center 2005 with all of the service packs and updates
current. I have an external Firefly 20g hard-drive (USB powered) and a
Western Digital 120g
external hard-drive (Powered Externally that both had worked on this
computer. Now when I plug either one of these hard-drives in to the USB
port, it will freeze up every time I attempt do this. I tried to find a
solution to this problem via Google and one of the solutions was to run SFC
/scannow. When I tried this, the message asked for the Service Pack 2
CD. I upgraded from Service Pack 1 via the internet and have no such CD.
Anyone have any ideas on how to solve either/both of these problems?

Thanks

Zap Eagle 07-12-2006 09:42 PM

Re: Computer freezes with external USB hard drives - jump drives work

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 07-12-2006 10:30 PM

Re: Computer freezes with external USB hard drives - jump drives work

"Zap Eagle" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

|>I have Windows Media Center 2005 with all of the service packs and updates
|>current. I have an external Firefly 20g hard-drive (USB powered) and a
|>Western Digital 120g
|>external hard-drive (Powered Externally that both had worked on this
|>computer. Now when I plug either one of these hard-drives in to the USB
|>port, it will freeze up every time I attempt do this. I tried to find a
|>solution to this problem via Google and one of the solutions was to run SFC
|>/scannow. When I tried this, the message asked for the Service Pack 2
|>CD. I upgraded from Service Pack 1 via the internet and have no such CD.
|>Anyone have any ideas on how to solve either/both of these problems?

Download SP2 here http://tinyurl.com/5bobl
then slipstream with XP
http://winsupersite.com/showcase/win...slipstream.asp

--
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=17828

Zap Eagle 07-13-2006 04:36 PM

Re: Computer freezes with external USB hard drives - jump drives work

Thank you very much, I have download SP2 and will try the slipstream now.
Thanks again for the quick response