Velocity Reviews

-   -   how to check what ports are being used by an application to communicate on internet?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t473209-how-to-check-what-ports-are-being-used-by-an-application-to-communicate-on-internet.html)

ashjas 07-09-2006 07:52 PM

how to check what ports are being used by an application to communicate on internet??

Hi,
I want to check what application,using the internet is using what ports
to communicate .. thru internet..

Is there a software to check this...please help..

thanks..

Duane Arnold 07-09-2006 07:54 PM

Re: how to check what ports are being used by an application to communicateon internet??

ashjas wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to check what application,using the internet is using what ports
> to communicate .. thru internet..
>
> Is there a software to check this...please help..
>
> thanks..

Active Ports or TCPView and they are both free use Google.

Duane :)

ashjas 07-09-2006 08:00 PM

Re: how to check what ports are being used by an application to communicate on internet??

precisely..what i want to know..is that if i allow an application to
freely access the internet thru my firewall(bitdefender),then is there
some software that can list the ports that are open through that
particular application..

Thanks..

Duane Arnold 07-09-2006 08:33 PM

ashjas wrote:
> precisely..what i want to know..is that if i allow an application to
> freely access the internet thru my firewall(bitdefender),then is there
> some software that can list the ports that are open through that
> particular application..
>
> Thanks..

Once again, Active Ports or TCPview more so Active Ports will tell you
what program is opening to send data and listening to receive data on
ports with or without a personal FW in front of it. If the program opens
a particular port, then the FW has that port open too.

If the program running on the computer is opening ports to send or
receive packets, Active Ports will show you not only the ports that are
being used but also what program is doing it.

Keep in mind, that the program that's opening the ports may only be a
host for another program like a Dll the program is hosting and it's the
the Dll wanting the ports open.

The tools in the link will be shown to you.

Long

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...vironment.html

Short

http://tinyurl.com/klw1

Duane :)

why? 07-09-2006 09:09 PM

On 9 Jul 2006 12:52:38 -0700, ashjas wrote:

>Hi,
>I want to check what application,using the internet is using what ports
>to communicate .. thru internet..
>
>Is there a software to check this...please help..

Assuming a Windows OS,

App/port list
CurrPorts - Nir Sofer v1.09 Apr 17 2006 freeware

I use,
Outpost Firewall, links application to ports.
I would also assume Zone Alarm and others would do a similar list.

Additional,
OpenedFilesView - Nir Sofer v1.01 Jul 03 2006 - freeware

Although not linking app to port, these are a must as well, the already
mentioned TCPView , Process Explorer and TDIMon from
www.sysinternals.com

Me

ashjas 07-09-2006 09:17 PM

Re: how to check what ports are being used by an application to communicate on internet??

Thank You for all the help.