Velocity Reviews

-   -   Multicast? what exactly it does? How useful it is? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t47280-multicast-what-exactly-it-does-how-useful-it-is.html)

Bay 10-25-2003 04:58 PM

Multicast? what exactly it does? How useful it is?

Hi,

I have questions regarding the multicast scopes. From the book I read, I
understand it is for one-to-many network communications. But under what
situtations that we need to use multicast scope though? Is it necessary?
Does it make things easier? I don't quite get it because the book doesn't
explain too much about what multicast does instead of just teaching me how
to create a multicast scope under the DHCP snap in.

Thanks

Billy

billyw 10-25-2003 06:01 PM

Re: Multicast? what exactly it does? How useful it is?

have a look at video conferencing

Herb Martin 10-25-2003 06:21 PM

Re: Multicast? what exactly it does? How useful it is?

When you have a single source (typically some type of "show") which
must be received by many clients -- but not all clients.

Unicasts go to ONE destination; Broadcasts to ALL destinations;
multicasts to all but only "registered destinations."

The multicast DHCP scope is used to distribute a group address or
addresses to clients who wish to view the same "show."

Multicast boundary scopes are (an unfortunate re-use of the same phrase)
a method to restrict or bound the network areas where the multicast is
forwarded (i.e., control the scope of the show.)

--
Herb Martin