Velocity Reviews

-   -   Transfer Data from ......... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t471193-transfer-data-from.html)

DannyD 05-25-2006 05:41 PM

Transfer Data from .........

an old machine to a new one.....
I am buying a new machine what's the best way to transfer my programs and
files etc. over from the old one, some of them I have downloaded so don't
have discs. I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 05-25-2006 05:49 PM

Re: Transfer Data from .........

"DannyD" <dannyd1355@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

|> I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.

Then you will have two...

http://www.skeeterbytes.com/ultimatecd.htm

--
http://www.thekitchenoflove.com/kitchen/index.asp

philo 05-25-2006 06:41 PM

Re: Transfer Data from .........

"DannyD" <dannyd1355@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> an old machine to a new one.....
> I am buying a new machine what's the best way to transfer my programs and
> files etc. over from the old one, some of them I have downloaded so don't
> have discs. I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.

If your old and new machines are both IDE...
Just put the drive from the old one in your new machine
and copy over any data you need.

Be sure the jumpers are set correctly.
If it makes things easier...you can disconnect the cdrom and put the drive
on that termination

Ron Martell 05-25-2006 06:47 PM

Re: Transfer Data from .........

"DannyD" <dannyd1355@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>an old machine to a new one.....
>I am buying a new machine what's the best way to transfer my programs and
>files etc. over from the old one, some of them I have downloaded so don't
>have discs. I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.

If your new computer will be running Windows XP then you can use the
Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to transfer your user data files
and program configuration settings (but not installed programs) to the
new machine. See Files and Settings Transfer Wizard by MVP Gary
Woodruff: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Application programs will have to be reinstalled. Period. If you
saved the original download files for your downloaded programs then
you should be able to copy these over to the new machine and run them
to install the programs on it.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

burris 05-25-2006 06:53 PM

Re: Transfer Data from .........

Ron Martell wrote:
> "DannyD" <dannyd1355@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> an old machine to a new one.....
>> I am buying a new machine what's the best way to transfer my programs and
>> files etc. over from the old one, some of them I have downloaded so don't
>> have discs. I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.
>>

> If your new computer will be running Windows XP then you can use the
> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to transfer your user data files
> and program configuration settings (but not installed programs) to the
> new machine. See Files and Settings Transfer Wizard by MVP Gary
> Woodruff: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
>

> Application programs will have to be reinstalled. Period. If you
> saved the original download files for your downloaded programs then
> you should be able to copy these over to the new machine and run them
> to install the programs on it.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Or, you can go to xxclone.com and download the free version which will
actually "clone" the entire XP, programs and all, to your new drive.

Plato 05-25-2006 10:52 PM

Re: Transfer Data from .........

DannyD wrote:

> an old machine to a new one.....
> I am buying a new machine what's the best way to transfer my programs and
> files etc. over from the old one, some of them I have downloaded so don't
> have discs. I will only have one monitor as well keeping the old one.

Many ways. Including putting in your old drive in the new pc.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Ron Martell 05-26-2006 09:47 PM

Re: Transfer Data from .........

burris <responder@comcast.net> wrote:

>Or, you can go to xxclone.com and download the free version which will
>actually "clone" the entire XP, programs and all, to your new drive.

*If* the old computer is running Windows XP. Many of the upgrade
questions are from people running earlier versions of Windows and the
o.p. did not indicate what his current version was.

And if the old computer is running a BIOS Locked OEM version of
Windows XP then there could be major complications in getting the
cloned drive to boot in the new computer.