Velocity Reviews

-   -   Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t471182-formatting-on-drive-wiped-out-when-testing-another-drive.html)

docsavage20@yahoo.com 05-25-2006 06:19 AM

Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
the cable see what if anything was on them.

Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
(had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.

I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
still giving me the same response.

What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
huge pain to restore.

Using WinXP Home SP 2.

Thanks

Arno Wagner 05-25-2006 11:01 AM

Re: Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage docsavage20@yahoo.com wrote:
> I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
> course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
> the cable see what if anything was on them.

> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
> (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
> it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.

> I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
> still giving me the same response.

> What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
> the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
> huge pain to restore.

> Using WinXP Home SP 2.

Very strange. Just a thought: Maybe some of the drives you tested damaged
the IDE controller. You should test this HDD in another system or on
the other IDE channel, before you do anything drastic.

Arno

Mike T. 05-25-2006 11:53 AM

<docsavage20@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1148537944.601035.122680@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
>I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
> course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
> the cable see what if anything was on them.
>
> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
> (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
> it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
>
> I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
> still giving me the same response.
>
> What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
> the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
> huge pain to restore.
>
> Using WinXP Home SP 2.
>
> Thanks

Oh boy. Ummmm . . . when swapping physical hard drives around, the logical
(virtual) drives get swapped around by Windows. So you've got to be careful
in moving files around, formatting, etc., that you know which PHYSICAL drive
you are working with. It's possible that you have accidentally formatted a
physical drive that you didn't want to format, as it temporarily had a
logical drive letter assigned to it that you THOUGHT was assigned to a
physical drive that you did want to format. -DAve

JAD 05-25-2006 02:07 PM

"Mike T." <noway@nohow.not> wrote in message
news:44759abe$0$16444$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...

> <docsavage20@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1148537944.601035.122680@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
> >I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
> > course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
> > the cable see what if anything was on them.
> >
> > Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
> > same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
> > (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
> > it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
> >
> > I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
> > still giving me the same response.
> >
> > What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
> > the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
> > huge pain to restore.
> >
> > Using WinXP Home SP 2.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Oh boy. Ummmm . . . when swapping physical hard drives around, the

logical
> (virtual) drives get swapped around by Windows. So you've got to be

careful
> in moving files around, formatting, etc., that you know which PHYSICAL

drive
> you are working with. It's possible that you have accidentally formatted

> physical drive that you didn't want to format, as it temporarily had a
> logical drive letter assigned to it that you THOUGHT was assigned to a
> physical drive that you did want to format. -DAve

Yep as soon as you mentioned determining which to format by drive LETTER you
were in deep poop.

docsavage20@yahoo.com 05-25-2006 04:07 PM

Re: Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

docsavage20@yahoo.com wrote:
> I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
> course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
> the cable see what if anything was on them.
>
> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
> (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
> it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.

Since posting this I discovered and tried the demo of Get Data Back and
the files are still there but the system isn't letting me access them
normally. I'm just wondering if there's a way around popping for the
$80 so I can save the files to another drive.

Thanks for all input.

why? 05-25-2006 04:41 PM

Re: Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

On 25 May 2006 09:07:00 -0700, docsavage20@yahoo.com wrote:

x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_supp ort,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,24hoursupport. helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

>docsavage20@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
>> course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
>> the cable see what if anything was on them.
>>
>> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
>> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
>> (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
>> it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.

>Since posting this I discovered and tried the demo of Get Data Back and
>the files are still there but the system isn't letting me access them
>normally. I'm just wondering if there's a way around popping for the
>$80 so I can save the files to another drive.

Go fo it, if you buy the key and register it while in demo mode viewing
the files to recover it works right away. Just remember you need enough
space on another safe partition to recover to.

There are several other similar apps mention in previous posts in
24HSHD.

One recent and IIRC free
http://www.pcinspector.de/

>Thanks for all input.

Me

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov 05-25-2006 05:46 PM

Re: Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

docsavage20@yahoo.com wrote:

|>Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
|>same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
|>(had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
|>it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
|>
|>I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
|>still giving me the same response.
|>
|>What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
|>the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
|>huge pain to restore.

Not sure if this helps but, if the second HD has an active partition
it will show as D drive no matter how many partitions you have on the
first HD.

--
http://www.thekitchenoflove.com/kitchen/index.asp

Rod Speed 05-25-2006 06:36 PM

Mike T. <noway@nohow.not> wrote:
> <docsavage20@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1148537944.601035.122680@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
>> I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
>> course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
>> the cable see what if anything was on them.
>>
>> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
>> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't
>> formatted (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want
>> to format it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
>>
>> I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but
>> it's still giving me the same response.
>>
>> What could have caused this and do you see any way around
>> reformatting the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial
>> will still be a huge pain to restore.
>>
>> Using WinXP Home SP 2.

> Oh boy. Ummmm . . . when swapping physical hard drives around, the logical (virtual)
> drives get swapped around by Windows.

No they dont with the NT/2K/XP family.

> So you've got to be careful in moving files around, formatting, etc., that you know
> which PHYSICAL drive you are working with. It's possible that you have accidentally
> formatted a physical drive that you didn't want to format, as it temporarily had a
> logical drive letter assigned to it that you THOUGHT was assigned to a physical drive
> that you did want to format.

If that is what happened, you wouldnt expect XP to be asking
if it should be formatted since its already been formatted.

Rod Speed 05-25-2006 06:38 PM

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov wrote:
> docsavage20@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
>>> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't
>>> formatted (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I
>>> want to format it. Apparently all the files on it are now
>>> inaccesible.
>>>
>>> I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but
>>> it's still giving me the same response.
>>>
>>> What could have caused this and do you see any way around
>>> reformatting the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial
>>> will still be a huge pain to restore.

> Not sure if this helps but, if the second HD has an active partition
> it will show as D drive no matter how many partitions you have on the
> first HD.

Not with the NT/2K/XP family.

ian field 05-25-2006 06:39 PM

Re: Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

<docsavage20@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1148537944.601035.122680@u72g2000cwu.googlegr oups.com...
>I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
> course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
> the cable see what if anything was on them.
>
> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
> (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
> it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
>
> I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
> still giving me the same response.
>
> What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
> the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
> huge pain to restore.
>
> Using WinXP Home SP 2.
>
> Thanks

Maybe you forgot to check the Master/Slave jumper - if both drives on the
same cable have the same jumper assignment, the 2 drives talk to each other
instead of the controller - they usually end up getting into an argument and
tear up each others part-table!!!