Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fax Without Phone? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t471080-fax-without-phone.html)

Steve Meyerson 05-22-2006 06:21 PM

Fax Without Phone?

Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
of a standard phone line?

My phone service is with Vonage (wideband), so my phone line is
disconnected, therefore my phone modem is useless. AFAIK, WinFax needs
a phone modem to work.

Vonage will provide me fax capability for a monthly fee, but I was
wondering if there is software out there or a way to use broadband
(e.g. internet?) to send and receive faxes for free or for a 1-time
fee. My OS is XP.

TIA

Steve M.

Toolman Tim 05-22-2006 06:33 PM

Re: Fax Without Phone?

In news:nmv372h4nickmfu42abu38jefdtu254v73@4ax.com,
Steve Meyerson spewed forth:
> Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
> of a standard phone line?
>
> My phone service is with Vonage (wideband), so my phone line is
> disconnected, therefore my phone modem is useless. AFAIK, WinFax needs
> a phone modem to work.
>
> Vonage will provide me fax capability for a monthly fee, but I was
> wondering if there is software out there or a way to use broadband
> (e.g. internet?) to send and receive faxes for free or for a 1-time
> fee. My OS is XP.

Have you ever heard of Google.com? Ask.com? Answers are there just
waiting...

Steve Meyerson 05-22-2006 07:29 PM

Re: Fax Without Phone?

On Mon, 22 May 2006 11:33:55 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<frack.this@no.spam.invalid> wrote:

>In news:nmv372h4nickmfu42abu38jefdtu254v73@4ax.com,
>Steve Meyerson spewed forth:
>> Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
>> of a standard phone line?
>>
>> My phone service is with Vonage (wideband), so my phone line is
>> disconnected, therefore my phone modem is useless. AFAIK, WinFax needs
>> a phone modem to work.
>>
>> Vonage will provide me fax capability for a monthly fee, but I was
>> wondering if there is software out there or a way to use broadband
>> (e.g. internet?) to send and receive faxes for free or for a 1-time
>> fee. My OS is XP.

>Have you ever heard of Google.com? Ask.com? Answers are there just
>waiting...

Thanks.

Rhonda Lea Kirk 05-22-2006 07:34 PM

Re: Fax Without Phone?

Steve Meyerson wrote:
> Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
> of a standard phone line?

I use TrustFax. It isn't free, but the price is reasonable if your fax
needs are limited. They give you a toll-free fax number (to receive) and
you can send and receive straight to and from your computer. I'm using a
cellular modem, so it works well for me.

http://www.trustfax.com/

"$19.95 per year
70 Free Fax pages - incoming and outgoing
15 MB Storage
Additional pages at $0.10 (sent or received)
Toll free fax number"

There are better fax options available if you need higher volume. I
can't remember the names of the companies but I do remember that I had
more luck looking in the Microsoft Marketplace than I did searching with
Google. (Note: If you run across TeleMessage, I had no luck at all
making it perform, but it's free to try, so it's probably worth a shot.)

There's also a faxing faq out there, but most (not all) of the links are
dead.

rl
--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

I've been through some awful worries, and
some of them actually happened. Mark Twain

Jos. Wheeler 05-22-2006 08:23 PM

Re: Fax Without Phone?

"Steve Meyerson" <stevemeyerson@cox.net> wrote in message
> Is there a way to receive and send faxes on computer without the use
> of a standard phone line?
>
> My phone service is with Vonage (wideband), so my phone line is
> disconnected, therefore my phone modem is useless. AFAIK, WinFax needs
> a phone modem to work.
>
> Vonage will provide me fax capability for a monthly fee, but I was
> wondering if there is software out there or a way to use broadband
> (e.g. internet?) to send and receive faxes for free or for a 1-time
> fee. My OS is XP.
>
> TIA
>
> Steve M.

Vonage gives you a dial tone-- so plug the Vonage line into your faxmodem
and fax away. I do it all the time with mine....

Jos.

Steve Meyerson 05-22-2006 11:47 PM

Re: Fax Without Phone?

On Mon, 22 May 2006 15:34:08 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
<rhondalea@gmail.com> wrote:

>I use TrustFax. It isn't free, but the price is reasonable if your fax
>needs are limited. They give you a toll-free fax number (to receive) and
>you can send and receive straight to and from your computer. I'm using a
>cellular modem, so it works well for me.
>
>http://www.trustfax.com/
>
>"$19.95 per year
>70 Free Fax pages - incoming and outgoing
>15 MB Storage
>Additional pages at $0.10 (sent or received)
>Toll free fax number"
>
>There are better fax options available if you need higher volume. I
>can't remember the names of the companies but I do remember that I had
>more luck looking in the Microsoft Marketplace than I did searching with
>Google. (Note: If you run across TeleMessage, I had no luck at all
>making it perform, but it's free to try, so it's probably worth a shot.)
>
>There's also a faxing faq out there, but most (not all) of the links are
>dead.
>
>rl

Thanks, Rhonda. That looks like it's exactly what I need. The "cheap"
ones I saw limited the fax to text. This looks like I can scan a doc
and send it as a bitmap file. True?

Steve Meyerson 05-22-2006 11:49 PM

Re: Fax Without Phone?

On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:23:54 -0400, "Jos. Wheeler" <joe@csa> wrote:

>Vonage gives you a dial tone-- so plug the Vonage line into your faxmodem
>and fax away. I do it all the time with mine....
>
>Jos.

A Vonage guy told me that wouldn't work, so I haven't tried it. I will
now. Thanks.

Steve M.

Rhonda Lea Kirk 05-23-2006 12:46 AM

Re: Fax Without Phone?

Steve Meyerson wrote:

> Thanks, Rhonda. That looks like it's exactly what I need. The "cheap"
> ones I saw limited the fax to text. This looks like I can scan a doc
> and send it as a bitmap file. True?

True.

And there are instructions for sending straight from your email program
without logging into the website. The last fax I sent was a Word
document, but as far as I know, TrustFax will accept any printable
attachment. (All of your received faxes come to you as PDF files.)

There's a thirty day free trial (limited to five fax pages), as well as
a demo (you can send a fax and maybe even receive faxes for free, but
what you send using the demo isn't private).

Comodo is an interesting company, and their CEO is a character. :) Were
it not for the issue of the "Launch Pad" (which is not applicable to
TrustFax and may well be fixed by now anyway because the CEO is very
responsive to customer feedback), I'd use a lot more of their products
(many of which are free). I haven't been back to check out what they've
done recently--just read some things on the web and on usenet--but I'm
very, very pleased with the performance of TrustFax.

rl

me 05-23-2006 01:21 AM

Re: Fax Without Phone?

> On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:23:54 -0400, "Jos. Wheeler" <joe@csa> wrote:
>>
>>Vonage gives you a dial tone-- so plug the Vonage line into your faxmodem
>>and fax away. I do it all the time with mine....
>>
>>Jos.
>>

> A Vonage guy told me that wouldn't work, so I haven't tried it. I will
> now. Thanks.
>
> Steve M.

Any luck with it yet?

NotMe 05-23-2006 02:25 AM