Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is it possible to save HD on a commercial server? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t471049-is-it-possible-to-save-hd-on-a-commercial-server.html)

turtill@hotmail.com 05-21-2006 09:24 PM

Is it possible to save HD on a commercial server?

Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
pete
--
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

John Holmes 05-21-2006 09:44 PM

Re: Is it possible to save HD on a commercial server?

blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?

Yes. I do it all the time.

> pete
> --
> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

--
Your mother was a tiny-brained cheat who cloned sheep in disused
windmills.

Whiskers 05-21-2006 09:47 PM

On 2006-05-21, turtill@hotmail.com <turtill@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
> pete

I think you probably mean 'store a backup copy of the contents of a hard
disc' rather than store the hard disc itelf (for which a safety deposit box
would work better!). The answer then is 'Yes, of course, but would you
trust them and can you afford it, and why not keep your own backups on a
removable drive?'

Try
<http://www.google.com/search?hs=Nba&...ls=en&q=online
+back+up&btnG=Search> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z62C3542D>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Bert Hyman 05-21-2006 09:49 PM

Re: Is it possible to save HD on a commercial server?

In news:20060521214441.45B5540706@smtp4.wanadoo.nl John Holmes
<nospam@****ithard.com> wrote:

> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
>> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
>> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?

> Yes. I do it all the time.

Very small disk or very fast network connection?

I prefer local backups to removable media with a copy or two stored
offsite if I'm seriously worried about something.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com

John Holmes 05-21-2006 10:09 PM

Re: Is it possible to save HD on a commercial server?

Bert Hyman blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> In news:20060521214441.45B5540706@smtp4.wanadoo.nl John Holmes
> <nospam@****ithard.com> wrote:
>
>> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
>>> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
>>> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?

>> Yes. I do it all the time.

> Very small disk or very fast network connection?
>
> I prefer local backups to removable media with a copy or two stored
> offsite if I'm seriously worried about something.

My backups are adequate, as allways.

--
Your mother was a useless fraudster who stole laundry on a flagpole.

Deano 05-21-2006 10:14 PM

<turtill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
> pete
> --
> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

I wonder how expensive this would be. I mean there *must* be some companies
that do it but given that you could swap in a new hard disk with massively
upgraded storage it could prove expensive all round. There are a number of
file storage companies but there are limits that would make it difficult to
back up say a 250GB hard disk. The big issue is could you trust the
service, will it still be around in five years etc etc.

You might consider working with remote data in the first place (is that what
you meant?) and not having any local data to back up. I don't know how
practical that is or where the data might be held.

I do love Foldershare (www.foldershare.com) and I use that with a friend to
backup data in real-time over the internet. It's simple to use, you just
specify the folder/s you want to share and that's more or less it. It
creates a copy of the data on the other PC. Very useful for backup and easy
file-sharing.

As for the operating system I would make a note of the model of the PC and
components and take an image of the C drive. You could restore that onto a
similar PC and get it working again with some tweaks.

BTW if you're worried about the PC getting stolen it might be worthwhile
thinking about securing your data so it can't be easily read by an
unauthorised user.

Flying Rat 05-21-2006 10:15 PM

Re: Is it possible to save HD on a commercial server?

In article <jfm172t5l4eufv8tjvidbv1l1cc6ir1tal@4ax.com>, says...
> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
> pete
> --
> http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

quite a few companies do it, XDrive being probably the most well known

http://www.xdrive.com/

I know from your previous posts you don't like it, but Google's GMail
can be configured to use as an online hard disk too. There's a bit of
software out there which turns it into the GMail Drive

There are plenty of online backup services available. It's mainly
commercial operations which use them but there are others for
individuals. Lycos do a 300MB online drive facility free with their
email accounts, more if you pay for it.

FR

turtill@hotmail.com 05-21-2006 11:00 PM

Re: Is it possible to save HD on a commercial server?

On Sun, 21 May 2006 22:47:52 +0100, Whiskers
<catwheezel@operamail.com> wrote:

>On 2006-05-21, turtill@hotmail.com <turtill@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
>> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
>> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
>> pete

>I think you probably mean 'store a backup copy of the contents of a hard
>disc' rather than store the hard disc itelf (for which a safety deposit box
>would work better!). The answer then is 'Yes, of course, but would you
>trust them and can you afford it, and why not keep your own backups on a
>removable drive?'
>
>Try
><http://www.google.com/search?hs=Nba&...ls=en&q=online
>+back+up&btnG=Search> or <http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z62C3542D>.

Once again I have not explained myself very well. I have been visited
buy a burglar today (cop) who threatened to impound my computer if I
didn't do what he wanted. I declined to disagree with him then. Now I
am asking can I store all my files and programs etc with a commercial
organisation so that if my computer is seized I can then just get
another computer and download my stuff and carry on as if nothing had
happened?
pete

--
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/

Rhonda Lea Kirk 05-21-2006 11:01 PM

turtill@hotmail.com wrote:
> Do any companies offer facilities to hold all a HD on a remote server
> in case a computer was stolen? Is it possible to have the entire
> contents of ones box stored elsewhere?
> pete

This company turned up on one of the Microsoft groups when one of its
users decided to misunderstand the terms of the referral program (i.e.,
he thought he could get away with spamming). I have since had
correspondence with (and researched) one of the principles--Josh
Coates--and he has a long-term good reputation in the community.

You get two gigabytes of storage free, and the cost for additional space
is reasonable. Here is the URL (without a referral link, because I don't
use this or any other online backup service):

https://mozy.com/

This program is still in beta, so you should understand the potential
consequences of using a beta program. And although this is a legitimate
service which takes every precaution about securing your data, you
should realize that the minute you start sending your information out
over the net, there is a risk involved.

You need to be aware that your agreement with Berkeley Systems includes
one piece of advertising email weekly. Other than that, however, there
is no other catch known to me, and the program itself is free of
spyware.

I know this program has gotten high marks from at least one of the
personal computer magazines. You can google for that and any additional
information.

rl
--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Robert A. Heinlein

turtill@hotmail.com 05-21-2006 11:02 PM

Re: Is it possible to save HD on a commercial server?

On Mon, 22 May 2006 00:09:44 +0200 (CEST), John Holmes
<nospam@****ithard.com> wrote:

>Bert Hyman blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> In news:20060521214441.45B5540706@smtp4.wanadoo.nl John Holmes
>> <nospam@****ithard.com> wrote:
>>
>>> blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> Yes. I do it all the time.

>> Very small disk or very fast network connection?
>>
>> I prefer local backups to removable media with a copy or two stored
>> offsite if I'm seriously worried about something.
>>

>My backups are adequate, as allways.

These particular burglars would take back ups as well as the actual
computer:-(
pete

--
http://www.brazierbridgewood.blogspot.com/