Velocity Reviews

-   -   lost emails (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t470840-lost-emails.html)

David Osman 05-16-2006 03:04 PM

lost emails

Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there anyway
of retrieving them?

beenthere 05-16-2006 03:04 PM

Re: lost emails

"David Osman" <d.osman1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
> tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
> anyway of retrieving them?

Connect the old hard drive (as a slave device) into your new box.
then search for .dbx files on it.

Gordon 05-16-2006 03:07 PM

Re: lost emails

David Osman wrote:

> Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
> tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
> anyway of retrieving them?

From your backup perhaps?

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Mike Easter 05-16-2006 03:10 PM

Re: lost emails

David Osman wrote:
> Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
> tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
> anyway of retrieving them?

They are on your old hdd. Whether you should try to get them yourself
or pay someone else depends. It especially depends on whether or not
the 'became terminal' was because of hdd failure.

--
Mike Easter

Whiskers 05-16-2006 03:19 PM

Re: lost emails

On 2006-05-16, David Osman <d.osman1@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
> tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there anyway
> of retrieving them?

If the old hard disc is still in working order, then yes. It can be
removed from the computer case and connected to the new computer - either
as a second HD inside the case, or by putting the old disc into a 'USB
hard drive housing' so that you can plug it in to a USB socket. The
latter arrangement is a pretty good method for keeping backups seperate
from your computer. Maplin and PC World have suitable USB housings for
hard discs; shop around.

A local computer repair shop should be able to do it (and salvage anything
else useful from the old machine) if you aren't happy to do it yourself.
They may even be able to get the old machine running again.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Beck 05-16-2006 04:38 PM

Re: lost emails

"beenthere" <Waiting@Home.com> wrote in message

> "David Osman" <d.osman1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
>> tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
>> anyway of retrieving them?

> Connect the old hard drive (as a slave device) into your new box.
> then search for .dbx files on it.

That is a good answer but a note to the original poster that opening up his
PC to add the drive will most likely invalidate his warranty.

me 05-16-2006 05:26 PM

Re: lost emails

"Beck" <beck@removephotoscene.co.uk> wrote in message

> "beenthere" <Waiting@Home.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "David Osman" <d.osman1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
>>> tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
>>> anyway of retrieving them?

>> Connect the old hard drive (as a slave device) into your new box.
>> then search for .dbx files on it.

> That is a good answer but a note to the original poster that opening up
> his PC to add the drive will most likely invalidate his warranty.

How would they know?
If he connects the old HD as a slave and then removes it afterwards.

Gordon 05-16-2006 05:34 PM

Re: lost emails

me wrote:

> How would they know?
> If he connects the old HD as a slave and then removes it afterwards.

My new PC had a warranty seal across the case joint.......

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Beck 05-16-2006 05:51 PM

Re: lost emails

"me" <this-isa-f@ke-made-up-domain-name-and-is.invalid> wrote in message

> How would they know?
> If he connects the old HD as a slave and then removes it afterwards.

If it has the "warranty void if broken" sticker on it :-)

Peaches 05-16-2006 07:54 PM

Re: lost emails

"David Osman" <d.osman1@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Yesterday my pc broke down and became terminal.I ended up buying a new
> tower,so therefore i,ve lost my emails from outlook express.Is there
> anyway of retrieving them?

Hi Dave
I wish I was in the position when my PC won't boot I could just go
and buy another one, though most are relatively easy to fix.........
May I suggest you place your dead PC for sale on ebay, the bidders
are very trustworthy and just ask whoever buys it, to forward onto
you all the emails they find in OE, just instruct them any banking
details, passwords etc etc that they find to delete them.
Regards
Emma