Velocity Reviews

-   -   cmos checksum error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t470378-cmos-checksum-error.html)

Hannibal Hayes 05-03-2006 11:48 PM

cmos checksum error

hi.
when i try to boot my pc i get 2 types of errors , one is the cmos checksum
error and the second is one that says unknown flash type. this usually
prevents a boot and the pc just stalls before it gets to the windows
the clock is reset to an earlier date. anyone have any solutions on this?
any help would be greatly appreciated. i was thinking that maybe the
battery that the clock running when the pc is shut off is dying. tia for
any and all suggestions

Mara 05-04-2006 12:00 AM

Re: cmos checksum error

On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:48:18 GMT, Hannibal Hayes
<HannibalHaze@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:

>hi.
>when i try to boot my pc i get 2 types of errors , one is the cmos checksum
>error and the second is one that says unknown flash type. this usually
>prevents a boot and the pc just stalls before it gets to the windows
>the clock is reset to an earlier date. anyone have any solutions on this?
>any help would be greatly appreciated. i was thinking that maybe the
>battery that the clock running when the pc is shut off is dying. tia for
>any and all suggestions

It sounds like your CMOS battery on the motherboard needs replaced. Do that
first, and if that doesn't fix it, as a *last* resort, try flashing your BIOS.

You should be able to replace the battery almost anywhere. My local jeweler has
them. So does WalMart and Radio Shack. Take the old battery with you to make
sure you match it.

Also, your shift key appears to be broken.

--
There is a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue.
--Edmund Burke

Hannibal Hayes 05-04-2006 12:33 AM

Re: cmos checksum error

Mara <go@awaynow.becauseIsaidso.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 03 May 2006 23:48:18 GMT, Hannibal Hayes
> <HannibalHaze@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>hi.
>>when i try to boot my pc i get 2 types of errors , one is the cmos
>>checksum error and the second is one that says unknown flash type.
>>this usually prevents a boot and the pc just stalls before it gets to
>>the windows loading screen. if i do manage to get it to boot up
>>windows after many trys the clock is reset to an earlier date. anyone
>>have any solutions on this? any help would be greatly appreciated. i
>>was thinking that maybe the battery that the clock running when the pc
>>is shut off is dying. tia for any and all suggestions

> It sounds like your CMOS battery on the motherboard needs replaced. Do
> that first, and if that doesn't fix it, as a *last* resort, try
> flashing your BIOS.
>
> You should be able to replace the battery almost anywhere. My local
> jeweler has them. So does WalMart and Radio Shack. Take the old
> battery with you to make sure you match it.
>
> Also, your shift key appears to be broken.

thank you. i had a hunch that it could be the battery.i have been looking
for a program that would check that. no luck so far. and as for my shift
key , its because i had an unfortunate accident with my shift key finger
as a small boy. ; P

Vanguard 05-04-2006 12:42 AM

Re: cmos checksum error

"Hannibal Hayes" <HannibalHaze@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mara <go@awaynow.becauseIsaidso.com> wrote in
>
>> Hannibal Hayes wrote:
>>
>> Also, your shift key appears to be broken.

> ... and as for my shift
> key , its because i had an unfortunate accident with my shift key
> finger
> as a small boy. ; P

On both hands? Bummer.

Mara 05-04-2006 01:22 AM

Re: cmos checksum error

On Thu, 04 May 2006 00:33:59 GMT, Hannibal Hayes
<HannibalHaze@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
>thank you. i had a hunch that it could be the battery.i have been looking
>for a program that would check that. no luck so far. and as for my shift
>key , its because i had an unfortunate accident with my shift key finger
>as a small boy. ; P

Don't bother with a program. I've never seen a CMOS battery that cost more than
about $3, so just go get one. Replacing the battery you have with a fresh one
*certainly* won't hurt anything.

Unfortunately, it seems the "unfortunate accident" just might be allowing you on
a keyboard, since you don't appear to know how to use one. Your posts are quite
hard to read without any effort on your part at readability, so I won't bother
again.

"If you don't want to end up looking like the people referred to in the links
Jimchip and I were just discussing, I suggest you make the effort."

AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
--glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

Ben Myers 05-05-2006 03:40 PM

Re: cmos checksum error

Go into the BIOS setup, then find and select "Restore defaults". Be sure to
save the change when exiting. On the "Unknown flash type" error, please
repost with more information, including when the error message occurs
and the operating system installed on the affected computer.

Ben