Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t470230-how-do-19-crt-monitors-compare-to-19-lcd.html)

Master No Wei 04-29-2006 11:44 PM

How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-29-2006 11:53 PM

Re: How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

Master No Wei wrote:

> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one?

Differences: about 60 pounds (27 kg) and $500 USD (400 euros) and a
square meter of desk space. <g>

> Which is sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the
> same?

Expensive ones? Maybe the CRT.
Medium price? Maybe the LCD.

--
-bts
-Using a very nice 17" LCD

Jimchip 04-30-2006 12:05 AM

On 2006-04-29, Master No Wei <MasterNoWei@kungfu.zzz> wrote:
> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

A 19" CRT monitor is a lot heavier!

You really have to compare specific models of each. There are high and low
quality versions to be had in both types. Specifications can tell you some
things but not all. There's nothing like going to a store that has a range
of both and doing side by side comparisons.

For example, "Sharper" can mean lots of things if you're being informal,
including how well the monitor renders black..

--
The visual perception system is very individualistic.

Jerry G. 04-30-2006 12:13 AM

Re: How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

The 19 inch LCD would be about equivalent to a 20 inch CRT. The LCD
monitor would be about 50 to 60 lbs lighter. There are many advantages
of using LCD monitors, especially the amount of space that it takes up
on the desk. LCD monitors give off much less heat and radiation in to
the environment.

As the LCD monitor ages, there is no degradation of its accuracy for
colour balance, as like with CRT monitors. There are no visible errors
from misconvergence, purity errors, focus errors, linearity errors, and
pin errors. LCD monitors cannot have burn in as like CRT and Plasma
displays. LCD monitors can however, have pixel sticking problems if
something is left up on it for many hundreds of hours. Unlike the other
technology displays, the LCD monitor pixel sticking problem can be
reversed.

LCD monitors do not radiate any ultraviolet radiation, have very little
electromagnetic radiation, and have no X-Ray radiation. LCD monitors do
not have any flicker that can give eyestrain after many hours of use.
LCD monitors can be viewed in a lit environment, while CRT monitors are
best viewed in a darkened environment. LCD monitors are about 60 to 80%
more efficient for power consumption. A typical LCD monitor can consume
about 45 to 55 Watts of power, while the equivalent CRT monitor will
typically use about 150 to 180 Watts of power. In business
establishments, it has been found that users of LCD monitors are
requesting less sick leave, due to headaches or fatigue. There is much
less danger from electromagnetic radiation from LCD monitors for
pregnant women, as suspected from CRT monitors.

The only thing that may annoy some users of LCD monitors, is that there
is the chance for bad pixels. Some people have a low tolerance for bad
pixels. Each manufacture has their policy for bad pixel error acceptance
for warranty exchange. LCD screens must not be touched with any
pressure, because they can be easily damaged. Putting your fingers, or
pens on the screen for pointing will most likely cause permanent damage.
When cleaning the LCD monitor screen surface, it must be done very
carefully. LCD monitors must be run in their native mode for best
picture quality. LCD monitors are generally slower responding than CRT
monitors, but have been improved more and more every year. When the LCD
monitor is viewed in a darkened room, the definition of the black
details may not be as good as the CRT type. The greater the cost of the
monitor, the better the contrast ratio and performance. LCD monitors
have a lower contrast ratio than the CRT or Plasma types, but they are
being improved as the manufactures find ways to do so. There is a
compromise between contrast ration and speed.

--

Jerry G.

Blinky the Shark 04-30-2006 12:38 AM

Master No Wei wrote:

> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

Personal experience: The 19" LCD monitors I've looked at all seem to be
1280x1024 max. I do that with my 17" CRT. If I moved to a larger (in
inches) monitor it would be so I could get higher than 1280x1024. I'm not
looking for a bigger representation of the same stuff; I'm looking for a
larger screen to get more stuff *in*. So the 19" LCDs don't float my
boat even though their prices are getting pretty decent.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Peaches 04-30-2006 12:47 AM

Re: How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

"Master No Wei" <MasterNoWei@kungfu.zzz> wrote in message
> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

Your graphics card plays the important role, and if equipped with
a DVI output, you'll be at least "future-proofed" if you opt for a
monitor with a DVI input, which invariably will be LCD.
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Monitor.htm

http://www.a1-electronics.net/PcHard...monitors.shtml

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/brow...,1,pg,1,00.asp

Peaches 04-30-2006 12:49 AM

Re: Depression, but. is it?

Peaches <toil@ThisIsNotMine.com> wrote in message
<e311cf$l1m$1@emma.aioe.org>...

> does jacking off make your penis longer???

04-30-2006 01:45 AM

Re: How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

"Master No Wei" <MasterNoWei@kungfu.zzz> wrote in message
> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?
>
>LCD monitors must be run in their native mode for best

picture quality.

From an earlier post. native mode is very important. Each LCD monitor has
a native mode or resolution which they are designed for. You can not change
the screen resolution and have as sharp of display (most noticible on print
or characters) like you can with a CRT. However, all things being equal, IF
the resolution is what you want (i.e. 1280 x 1024) and the cost is anywhere
close (say $100-$150) go with the LCD. My company recently made the change
from CRT's to LCD because in the final analysis, AND counting shipping,
LCD's were actually cheaper in the long run that CRT's.

Leythos 04-30-2006 01:45 AM

Re: How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

In article <7a6dnXjq8ef5Z87ZRVn-iA@forethought.net>,
MasterNoWei@kungfu.zzz says...
> How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
> sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

Glass screens (CRT's) are always clearer unless you buy junk. They also
don't have fuzzy font issues when you don't use them at their native
resolution like many LCD panels do.

When it comes to CAD or Graphics work I use a CRT because an LCD just
doesn't cut it for clarity.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

JANA 04-30-2006 05:57 AM

Re: How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

Soon you won't have a choice. CRT monitors have been going out of
production. If you have gone shopping lately, take a look at the choices.
Some stores don't even handle CRT monitors any more.

--

JANA
_____

"Blinky the Shark" <no.spam@box.invalid> wrote in message