Velocity Reviews

-   -   New Motherboard, CPU Fan? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t469622-new-motherboard-cpu-fan.html)

Abpoc 04-15-2006 01:38 AM

New Motherboard, CPU Fan?

Ok this is weird, my old motherboard died so I got a new one, installed
everything and when I start the computer it says something along the
lines of "CPU fan won't spin, press F1 to ignore this message." Yet,
the CPU fan IS spinning. If I do press F1 to ignore, it takes a while
but eventually does go into the POST and boot up. I don't know where to
start with this so if anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.

It is a Biostar M7VIG 400 motherboard, with Phoenix BIOS.

philo 04-15-2006 02:27 AM

Re: New Motherboard, CPU Fan?

Abpoc wrote:
> Ok this is weird, my old motherboard died so I got a new one, installed
> everything and when I start the computer it says something along the
> lines of "CPU fan won't spin, press F1 to ignore this message." Yet,
> the CPU fan IS spinning. If I do press F1 to ignore, it takes a while
> but eventually does go into the POST and boot up. I don't know where to
> start with this so if anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.
>
> It is a Biostar M7VIG 400 motherboard, with Phoenix BIOS.

which header do you have the fan plugged into?

Toolman Tim 04-15-2006 02:40 AM

Re: New Motherboard, CPU Fan?

In news:1145065129.229256.156480@v46g2000cwv.googlegr oups.com,
Abpoc spewed forth:
> Ok this is weird, my old motherboard died so I got a new one,
> installed everything and when I start the computer it says something
> along the lines of "CPU fan won't spin, press F1 to ignore this
> message." Yet, the CPU fan IS spinning. If I do press F1 to ignore,
> it takes a while but eventually does go into the POST and boot up. I
> don't know where to start with this so if anyone could help me I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> It is a Biostar M7VIG 400 motherboard, with Phoenix BIOS.

Does the CPU fan have two wires or three? Are you sure you have it plugged
into the CPU fan socket on the motherboard, and not a socket for a case
fane?

--
My wife and I divorced over religious differences. She thought she was
God and I didn't.

old man 04-15-2006 09:13 AM

Re: New Motherboard, CPU Fan?

I get this msg on an Asus mobo in which I'm using AMD 'cool and quite' (or
similar named)
Once F1'd to continue boots up fine. From reccollection (its been a while)
this msg only appeared after installing above.

Abpoc 04-15-2006 11:59 PM

Re: New Motherboard, CPU Fan?

The fan has 3 wires. According to the motherboard documentation, the
fan is correctly connected to the "CPU Fan Connector (JCFAN1)" Yes, it
does boot up properly after pressing F1, but it takes a couple minutes
after pressing F1 to actually begin to boot. This isn't a huge problem,
but if it is possible to fix I'd like to. Thanks for the help so far
though...

Toolman Tim 04-16-2006 12:03 AM

Re: New Motherboard, CPU Fan?

In news:1145145547.132234.28100@g10g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com,
Abpoc spewed forth:
> The fan has 3 wires. According to the motherboard documentation, the
> fan is correctly connected to the "CPU Fan Connector (JCFAN1)" Yes, it
> does boot up properly after pressing F1, but it takes a couple minutes
> after pressing F1 to actually begin to boot. This isn't a huge
> problem, but if it is possible to fix I'd like to. Thanks for the
> help so far though...

I'm not one to advocate BIOS updates very often, but you might consider
checking the motherboard manufacturer's web site to see if there are any
updates available.

Abpoc 04-16-2006 12:07 AM

Re: New Motherboard, CPU Fan?

Alright thanks, I didn't really want to update BIOS either but it could
fix it. Thanks for the help