Velocity Reviews

-   -   Antivirus choice: F-Secure's rootkit scanning vs Trend Micro (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t469245-antivirus-choice-f-secures-rootkit-scanning-vs-trend-micro.html)

Mizter T 04-07-2006 08:17 AM

Antivirus choice: F-Secure's rootkit scanning vs Trend Micro

*AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.

I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite, i.e. an AntiVirus
program packaged along with other security utilities.

I've two in mind, F-Secure Internet Security 2006 and Trend Micro
PC-cillin Internet Security 2006. I've had a look at CNET's reviews of
both...

CNET review of F-Secure Internet Security 2006
http://reviews.cnet.com/F_Secure_Int...-31517980.html

CNET review of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2006
http://reviews.cnet.com/Trend_Micro_...-31604253.html

CNET gives F-Secure's effort 7.3 out of 10, and Trend Micro's 7.8.

However in my mind a big attraction of F-Secure's package is the
inclusion of their new 'Blacklight' rootkit scanning technology [1],
which only gets a brief mention in the CNET review. Whilst I understand
that malign rootkits are rare (i.e. trojan rootkits), I've read that
there usage is on the increase, plus by their very nature they're hard
to detect. This swings me towards F-Secure.

The downside of F-Secure's package is it's insistence on uninstalling
potentially conflicting applications...

A quick excerpt from the CNET review "...it made us uninstall
potentially conflicting applications, including Spybot Search and
Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-aware (which F-Secure's antispyware technology is
based on), and Yahoo Toolbar, which also has antispy features... we
question the wisdom here, since running more than one antispyware app
is often necessary to thoroughly protect your system."

Like the reviewer I also question the wisdom of this, which swings me
towards Trend Micro.

If anyone has any thoughts on the matter I'd be most grateful to hear
them.

[1] F-Secure info on Blacklight rootskit scanning
http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

Chadwick Stone© 04-07-2006 08:24 AM

Re: Antivirus choice: F-Secure's rootkit scanning vs Trend Micro

Mizter T [mizter.t@gmail.com] has entered into testimony
1144397866.753872.319820@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups. com

> *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
>
> Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.
>
> I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite, i.e. an AntiVirus
> program packaged along with other security utilities.
>
> I've two in mind, F-Secure Internet Security 2006 and Trend Micro
> PC-cillin Internet Security 2006. I've had a look at CNET's reviews of
> both...
>
> CNET review of F-Secure Internet Security 2006

http://reviews.cnet.com/F_Secure_Int...-31517980.html

> CNET review of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2006

http://reviews.cnet.com/Trend_Micro_...-31604253.html

> CNET gives F-Secure's effort 7.3 out of 10, and Trend Micro's 7.8.
>
> However in my mind a big attraction of F-Secure's package is the
> inclusion of their new 'Blacklight' rootkit scanning technology [1],
> which only gets a brief mention in the CNET review. Whilst I
> understand that malign rootkits are rare (i.e. trojan rootkits), I've
> read that there usage is on the increase, plus by their very nature
> they're hard to detect. This swings me towards F-Secure.
>
> The downside of F-Secure's package is it's insistence on uninstalling
> potentially conflicting applications...
>
> A quick excerpt from the CNET review "...it made us uninstall
> potentially conflicting applications, including Spybot Search and
> Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-aware (which F-Secure's antispyware technology is
> based on), and Yahoo Toolbar, which also has antispy features... we
> question the wisdom here, since running more than one antispyware app
> is often necessary to thoroughly protect your system."
>
> Like the reviewer I also question the wisdom of this, which swings me
> towards Trend Micro.
>
> If anyone has any thoughts on the matter I'd be most grateful to hear
> them.
>

> [1] F-Secure info on Blacklight rootskit scanning
> http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

**** any application that requires you remove anything you have
intentionally installed on your computer... although I despise third
party toolbars and have never cared for Ad-aware, it was your choice to
install them and another company shouldn't try to control your
intentional installation.

--

Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-07-2006 02:03 PM

In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mizter T wrote:

> *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
>
> Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.
>
> I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite,

Stay away from "suites."

--
-bts
-Warning: I brake for lawn deer

ellis_jay 04-07-2006 02:46 PM

Mizter T wrote:
> *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
>
> Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.

Go with Trend Micro.

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay

slumpy 04-07-2006 03:00 PM

Re: Antivirus choice: F-Secure's rootkit scanning vs Trend Micro

To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to **** off a lot of dumb
people, I typed this just before Beauregard T. Shagnasty decided to brighten
up my day by saying:

> In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mizter T wrote:
>
> > *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
> >
> > Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.
> >
> > I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite,

> Stay away from "suites."

They are bad for your teeth.
--
slumpy
tradelist and images - http://tinyurl.com/devgk

Plato 04-07-2006 04:59 PM

Mizter T wrote:

> *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
>
> Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.
>
> I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite, i.e. an AntiVirus
> program packaged along with other security utilities.

Suites are NOT recommended.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Mizter T 04-08-2006 02:26 PM

Chadwick Stone© wrote:

> <snip>
>
> **** any application that requires you remove anything you have
> intentionally installed on your computer... although I despise third
> party toolbars and have never cared for Ad-aware, it was your choice to
> install them and another company shouldn't try to control your
> intentional installation.

A no nonsense answer, thanks! I'll almost certainly follow your advice
and avoid F-Secure. As I said, what attracted me was F-Secure's
supposed rootkit scanning capabilities, but given F-Secure's demands on
exclusivity I'll get my security elsewhere.

Am interested in your distaste for Ad-Aware. I use both the
aforementioned program and also Spyboy Search & Destroy. Any
alternative recommendations?

Mizter T 04-08-2006 02:36 PM

slumpy wrote:
> To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to **** off a lot of dumb
> people, I typed this just before Beauregard T. Shagnasty decided to brighten
> up my day by saying:
>
> > In 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Mizter T wrote:
> > > I'm looking to buy an 'Internet Security' suite,

> > Stay away from "suites."

> They are bad for your teeth.

I've never used a 'security suite' before and the only reason I looked
the idea at is that I'll be installing whatever security application(s)
I ultimately choose on a number of family PCs, and thought a suite
might be less hassle in terms of monitoring and keeping up-to-date, as
my other family members are not so 'tech savvy'.

Anyway from comments here and elsewhere I'm more cautious about the
security suite idea.

Mizter T 04-08-2006 02:41 PM

ellis_jay wrote:
> Mizter T wrote:
> > *AntiVirus / Security suite choice - F-Secure vs Trend Micro*
> >
> > Hi, wondering if anyone can help me here.

> Go with Trend Micro.

I've also subsequently had NOD32 antivirus very highly recommended [1],
and Kapersky antivirus also highly recommended. The upcoming version 6
of Kapersky is supposed to have rootkit scanning capabilities but it
isn't released yet and I'm keen to get this all sorted out ASAP.

Anyone any thoughts on either of these apps?

[1] http://www.nod32.com/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-08-2006 03:30 PM

Mizter T wrote:

>>> Stay away from "suites."

> I've never used a 'security suite' before and the only reason I looked
> the idea at is that I'll be installing whatever security
> application(s) I ultimately choose on a number of family PCs, and
> thought a suite might be less hassle in terms of monitoring and
> keeping up-to-date, as my other family members are not so 'tech
> savvy'.

If you use the 'pay-for' suites, you may be required to purchase a
license for each of those PCs. If you use any of the free-for-home-use
apps that require a free registration, you should be able to register
each by using the email id of the primary person of each PC.