Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   amd cooling fan (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t469216-amd-cooling-fan.html)

vangogh 04-06-2006 01:30 PM

amd cooling fan
 
Hi buddies,

Well i bought a refurbished amd athlon 2700+ 512 MB RAM sharp al 27
laptop.
this is its second day, but cooling fan is working wihtout stopping.
cpu temperature is around 35 centigrade. yesterday during 9 hours it
restarts itself twice...
and cpu is more slower than i expected...

i am suspicious about motherboard.

what do you think folks?
how can i solve problem?

thanks...


Whiskers 04-06-2006 02:00 PM

Re: amd cooling fan
 
On 2006-04-06, vangogh <serkan2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi buddies,
>
> Well i bought a refurbished amd athlon 2700+ 512 MB RAM sharp al 27
> laptop.
> this is its second day, but cooling fan is working wihtout stopping.
> cpu temperature is around 35 centigrade. yesterday during 9 hours it
> restarts itself twice...
> and cpu is more slower than i expected...
>
> i am suspicious about motherboard.
>
> what do you think folks?
> how can i solve problem?
>
> thanks...


Take it back.

The CPU temperature doesn't look 'wrong', but the sensor may not be
accurate (or the sensor software may not be calibrated correctly). The
continuously running fan may be normal for that machine. The restarting
is not a good sign, though.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~

vangogh 04-06-2006 02:28 PM

Re: amd cooling fan
 
well i checked temperature with different sofwares i read around 35.
good thing is temperature always constant.

restarting is about updating?
because i updated windows and it offered me restart windows.
i cancelled and select restatrt later around 10 times, finally machine
started itself..
i dont know maybe that was the problem on it.

but that coolig fan make me crazy...

it is gonna work till infinity like that?


LDR 04-06-2006 03:12 PM

Re: amd cooling fan
 
In article <1144330243.893962.194890@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups .com>,
serkan2005@gmail.com says...
> Hi buddies,
>
> Well i bought a refurbished amd athlon 2700+ 512 MB RAM sharp al 27
> laptop.
> this is its second day, but cooling fan is working wihtout stopping.
> cpu temperature is around 35 centigrade. yesterday during 9 hours it
> restarts itself twice...
> and cpu is more slower than i expected...
>
> snip

I have approximately what you have and the same mystery about the fan:
Mine works at a constant 3300rpm unless I turn on Qfan. But then the fan
sensor reports it stopping, here and there, or very low speeds. I think
it flaky but I have just enough confidence in it not to fly against it.
So here's what I'm doing; I just let the fan run and when it breaks down
I'll just replace it. Fans are cheaper than CPUs.

Whiskers 04-06-2006 03:29 PM

Re: amd cooling fan
 
On 2006-04-06, vangogh <serkan2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> well i checked temperature with different sofwares i read around 35.
> good thing is temperature always constant.
>
> restarting is about updating?
> because i updated windows and it offered me restart windows.
> i cancelled and select restatrt later around 10 times, finally machine
> started itself..
> i dont know maybe that was the problem on it.


Quite possibly; Windows seems to need re-booting for almost every update
or new program, and it isn't a good idea to delay the re-boot once you've
changed anything, as the whole system can become unstable.

Does the machine re-boot itself when you haven't just run Windows Update
or installed a new program?

> but that coolig fan make me crazy...
>
> it is gonna work till infinity like that?


Some machines do have the fan(s) running all the time. This laptop does,
even when not running on mains power, and so does my old 'tower' machine
(when it works). When the machine gets hot, the fans are really load and
throw out quite a draft. I've got used to it.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~

vangogh 04-06-2006 03:51 PM

Re: amd cooling fan
 
i made updates and i did not restarted but windows asked me around ten
times whether i want to re-boot cpu.
and i always delay. after ten times windows restart itself.

in your opinion to play with fan using some programs is good idea?
there are some programs to reduce fan rpm right...


Whiskers 04-06-2006 07:34 PM

Re: amd cooling fan
 
On 2006-04-06, vangogh <serkan2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> i made updates and i did not restarted but windows asked me around ten
> times whether i want to re-boot cpu.
> and i always delay. after ten times windows restart itself.


You should have re-booted as soon as possible. Windows asked you ten
times; clearly, Windows /needed/ to be re-booted after the update. It
almost always does.

> in your opinion to play with fan using some programs is good idea?
> there are some programs to reduce fan rpm right...


I wouldn't bother. You do not want to risk your processor or any other
chips overheating.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~

PC 04-06-2006 11:53 PM

Re: amd cooling fan
 

"vangogh" <serkan2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1144330243.893962.194890@i39g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi buddies,
>
> Well i bought a refurbished amd athlon 2700+ 512 MB RAM sharp al 27
> laptop.
> this is its second day, but cooling fan is working wihtout stopping.
> cpu temperature is around 35 centigrade. yesterday during 9 hours it
> restarts itself twice...
> and cpu is more slower than i expected...
>
> i am suspicious about motherboard.
>
> what do you think folks?
> how can i solve problem?
>
> thanks...



Just to reiterate 'Whiskers' comment, it is 'not' a good idea to delay
rebooting Windows after an update asks you to reboot.
Why?
Because subsequent updates may depend on what updates have been installed
previously.
Previous updates may not be detected correctly unless the machine is
rebooted.

As for your cooling fan running all the time all I can say is that the CPU
may be a Desktop class CPU rather than a 'designed for Laptops' CPU. Desktop
CPU's tend to run hotter and may only work ok in a Laptop with the cooling
fan running all the time.
It is quite common for Laptop makers to use Desktop CPU's for Laptops that
are used as Desktop replacements where the empasis is on price and not on
running on battery power.
I may well be wrong but I don't think Athlons of that type were ever made in
a Laptop friendly version.

All I can suggest is to compare yours to others of the same model. Whiskers
notes his laptop runs the fan all the time.
You could exchange the Laptop for a 'quieter' one using a 'Laptop' CPU
(Pentium M or AMD Turion 64) , but then you may have to pay a 'restocking'
fee and a premium for the laptop classs CPU.

"Slower than expected."
Not unusual with a laptop where the emphasis is on power economy.
Same CPU in a desktop will usually perform noticeably better.
The amount of RAM you have can dramatically affect performance, 512MB is
regarded as the minimum these days for an XP machine.

Cheers
Paul.




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.