Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Random Numbers In Excel (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t468090-random-numbers-in-excel.html)

BIGEYE 03-12-2006 04:26 PM

Random Numbers In Excel
 
I have put together a spreadsheet with six cells, each cell generating a
random number between 1 and 49. It is for selecting lottery numbers,
probably have more luck with this than picking my own numbers.
Anyway, how can I set up each cell to check for repeat numbers and not
generate repeat numbers.
TIA.



old man 03-12-2006 05:17 PM

Re: Random Numbers In Excel
 
Why not use either the lottery site random generator, or the one accessed
via BBC site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/lottery/
But then perhaps you wish to 'play' with excel, or dont trust these?

"BIGEYE" <karen.enderby@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:44144b9f$0$5000$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
> I have put together a spreadsheet with six cells, each cell generating a
> random number between 1 and 49. It is for selecting lottery numbers,
> probably have more luck with this than picking my own numbers.
> Anyway, how can I set up each cell to check for repeat numbers and not
> generate repeat numbers.
> TIA.
>
>




BIGEYE 03-12-2006 05:19 PM

Re: Random Numbers In Excel
 
Playing around with Excel. Used to use Lotus 123, but switched due to work
requirements.

"old man" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
news:7JYQf.932$Tv.18@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
> Why not use either the lottery site random generator, or the one accessed
> via BBC site
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/lottery/
> But then perhaps you wish to 'play' with excel, or dont trust these?
>
> "BIGEYE" <karen.enderby@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:44144b9f$0$5000$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
>> I have put together a spreadsheet with six cells, each cell generating a
>> random number between 1 and 49. It is for selecting lottery numbers,
>> probably have more luck with this than picking my own numbers.
>> Anyway, how can I set up each cell to check for repeat numbers and not
>> generate repeat numbers.
>> TIA.
>>
>>

>
>




old man 03-12-2006 05:20 PM

Re: Random Numbers In Excel
 
BTW I hope that isnt your real email add - if so 'munge' it or be prepared
to be harvested

"BIGEYE" <karen.enderby@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:44145808$0$29574$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk...
> Playing around with Excel. Used to use Lotus 123, but switched due to work
> requirements.
>
> "old man" <dl@spoofmail.notme> wrote in message
> news:7JYQf.932$Tv.18@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
> > Why not use either the lottery site random generator, or the one

accessed
> > via BBC site
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/lottery/
> > But then perhaps you wish to 'play' with excel, or dont trust these?
> >
> > "BIGEYE" <karen.enderby@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > news:44144b9f$0$5000$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk...
> >> I have put together a spreadsheet with six cells, each cell generating

a
> >> random number between 1 and 49. It is for selecting lottery numbers,
> >> probably have more luck with this than picking my own numbers.
> >> Anyway, how can I set up each cell to check for repeat numbers and not
> >> generate repeat numbers.
> >> TIA.
> >>
> >>

> >
> >

>
>




Blinky the Shark 03-12-2006 05:45 PM

Re: Random Numbers In Excel
 
BIGEYE wrote:

> Playing around with Excel. Used to use Lotus 123, but switched due to work
> requirements.


Good reason. Exploration is good. I used to do Quattro Pro along
side Lotus, then went through an Excel phase and now use Open Office.
That said, I have a lottery question. The state lottery where I live in
the US (and probably the others here, as well) has a "Quick Pick" option
where instead of selecting your own numbers you have the terminal randomly
generate them for your ticket. Is such a pick available on the lottery
you're playing?


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
Coming Soon: Filter rules specific to various real news clients


the paddle 03-12-2006 05:54 PM

Re: Random Numbers In Excel
 
see:

http://tinyurl.com/ocpud

paddle


=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?= 03-12-2006 07:03 PM

Re: Random Numbers In Excel
 
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> BIGEYE wrote:
>
>
>>Playing around with Excel. Used to use Lotus 123, but switched due to work
>>requirements.

>
>
> Good reason. Exploration is good. I used to do Quattro Pro along
> side Lotus, then went through an Excel phase and now use Open Office.
> That said, I have a lottery question. The state lottery where I live in
> the US (and probably the others here, as well) has a "Quick Pick" option
> where instead of selecting your own numbers you have the terminal randomly
> generate them for your ticket. Is such a pick available on the lottery
> you're playing?
>
>


Yes, we call it a lucky dip.

fkasner 03-12-2006 10:12 PM

Re: Random Numbers In Excel
 
BIGEYE wrote:
> I have put together a spreadsheet with six cells, each cell generating a
> random number between 1 and 49. It is for selecting lottery numbers,
> probably have more luck with this than picking my own numbers.
> Anyway, how can I set up each cell to check for repeat numbers and not
> generate repeat numbers.
> TIA.
>
>

After generating a random (not really a very good random generator) in
cell one generate another in cell 2. Compare cell 2 to cell 1. If
difference between values is not zero go to cell three and generate
another random number. If difference between 1 and 2 is zero generate a
new random number for cell 2. Save difference in cell 7. etc., etc.

Or you can just compare each new random to all the randoms that preceded
it and if any one of them is zero then regenerate the random number and
do the test again. Go to next cell and generate another random number
and repeat the test previously reported.

The simple arithmetic of these integer calculations should allow a very
rapid operation of a this slightly complicated method.

There are clearly some more complicated methods possible but aren't
worth the trouble of all that thought to arrive at them.

FK

slumpy 03-12-2006 11:35 PM

Re: Random Numbers In Excel
 
To fill up a few lines of text and ultimately to **** off a lot of dumb
people, I typed this just before Brian H decided to brighten up my day by
saying:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
> > BIGEYE wrote:
> >
> >
> > > Playing around with Excel. Used to use Lotus 123, but switched
> > > due to work requirements.

> >
> >
> > Good reason. Exploration is good. I used to do Quattro Pro along
> > side Lotus, then went through an Excel phase and now use Open
> > Office. That said, I have a lottery question. The state lottery
> > where I live in the US (and probably the others here, as well) has
> > a "Quick Pick" option where instead of selecting your own numbers
> > you have the terminal randomly generate them for your ticket. Is
> > such a pick available on the lottery you're playing?
> >
> >

>
> Yes, we call it a lucky dip.


And look at what you pulled out !

Woohoo !!
--
slumpy
tradelist and images - http://tinyurl.com/devgk
The SS Wereo - http://tinyurl.com/beg2o
The Ballad of Scott Lifshine 2006 - http://tinyurl.com/8y5vw - warning -
this is a NIL BY MOUTH WEBPAGE - the author is not responsible for any
computer damage caused by spat or spilt foods




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.