Velocity Reviews

-   -   Quantum Physics (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t467622-quantum-physics.html)

dfrog 03-01-2006 11:27 AM

Quantum Physics

This has always puzzled me

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4618&q=quantum

dfrog 03-01-2006 11:30 AM

Re: Quantum Physics

Sorry, should not have been posted here

dfrog

"dfrog" <dfrog@lineone1.net> wrote in message
news:46lerbFbm2uoU1@individual.net...
> This has always puzzled me
>

> http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4618&q=quantum

Donald 03-01-2006 04:47 PM

Re: Quantum Physics

Cool non the less

"dfrog" <dfrog@lineone1.net> wrote in message
news:46lerbFbm2uoU1@individual.net...
> This has always puzzled me
>

> http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4618&q=quantum

why? 03-01-2006 06:40 PM

Re: Quantum Physics

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:27:54 -0000, dfrog wrote:

>This has always puzzled me
>

>http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4618&q=quantum

That's only the basic stuff at the beginning.

Me

dfrog 03-01-2006 06:49 PM

Re: Quantum Physics

> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:27:54 -0000, dfrog wrote:
>
>>This has always puzzled me
>>

>>http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4618&q=quantum

> That's only the basic stuff at the beginning.
>
> Me

There's no wonder I didn't understand the rest of it then :-)

dfrog

It's the bit about the little buggers knowing they were being watched that
throws me

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?= 03-01-2006 07:56 PM

Re: Quantum Physics

dfrog wrote:
> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>
>>On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:27:54 -0000, dfrog wrote:
>>

>>>This has always puzzled me
>>>

>>>http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4618&q=quantum

>>That's only the basic stuff at the beginning.
>>
>>Me

> There's no wonder I didn't understand the rest of it then :-)
>
> dfrog
>
> It's the bit about the little buggers knowing they were being watched that
> throws me

No escaping big brother is there?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?= 03-01-2006 08:25 PM

Re: Quantum Physics

dfrog wrote:

> It's the bit about the little buggers knowing they were being watched that
> throws me

They don't "know" they're being watched, but the act of observing
changes the behavior. One of the conundrums of quantum physics. Sort of
like saying where the exact position of an electron circling a nucleus
is. There is no way to know where it is at any given point in time. If
you were able to observe it, the experiment would be a failed one.

fkasner 03-01-2006 09:02 PM

Re: Quantum Physics

dfrog wrote:
> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:27:54 -0000, dfrog wrote:
>>
>>> This has always puzzled me
>>>

>>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4618&q=quantum

>> That's only the basic stuff at the beginning.
>>
>> Me

> There's no wonder I didn't understand the rest of it then :-)
>
> dfrog
>
> It's the bit about the little buggers knowing they were being watched that
> throws me

That's the result of using the logic of the macro world. The act of
observing clearly has an effect on the observed. Consider that to "see"
an object you have to have a photon of light strike the object and then
react to the photon when it reaches the observer. Net effect is you are
seeing the result of the collision of a photon and the object not really
see an unperturbed object. If the object is small ots properties are
changed by the interaction with the photon - not what happens when a
photon interacts with a brick and you sense the reflected photon. The
brick's properties change so slightly that you are tempted to believe
(quite adequately) that the brick really didn't change at all.
FK

why? 03-01-2006 10:15 PM

Re: Quantum Physics

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:49:07 -0000, dfrog wrote:

>news:kkqb029s2rp99jt9d6fp68aafcvc11j84d@4ax.com.. .
>>
>> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:27:54 -0000, dfrog wrote:
>>
>>>This has always puzzled me
>>>

>>>http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4618&q=quantum

>> That's only the basic stuff at the beginning.
>>
>> Me

>There's no wonder I didn't understand the rest of it then :-)
>
>dfrog
>
>It's the bit about the little buggers knowing they were being watched that
>throws me

Just wait until the bit where probability, in an example means the
particle position isn't any where near the room your are measuring
things in. Some lecturers try to slip this in sometimes.

Or if that's too easy, this is way cool -

Quantum entanglement -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

This is a nice quote from the above

"At the same time, it produces some of the more theoretically and
philosophically disturbing aspects of the theory, as one can show that
the correlations predicted by quantum mechanics are inconsistent with
the seemingly obvious principle of local realism, which is that
information about the state of a system should only be mediated by
interactions in its immediate surroundings. "

Back to your original issue with the simple stuff :-)

This is a nice summary of the wave particle duality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave-particle_duality

That's enough of that for tonight.

Further reading, my book from university

Student Physics
Quantum Mechanics
P.C.W. DAVIES
ISBN 0-7100-9962-2
Routledge & Kegan Paul

Me

clot 03-01-2006 10:43 PM

Re: Quantum Physics

why? wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 18:49:07 -0000, dfrog wrote:
>

>> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

>>> That's only the basic stuff at the beginning.
>>>
>>> Me

>> There's no wonder I didn't understand the rest of it then :-)
>>
>> dfrog
>>
>> It's the bit about the little buggers knowing they were being
>> watched that throws me

> Just wait until the bit where probability, in an example means the
> particle position isn't any where near the room your are measuring
> things in. Some lecturers try to slip this in sometimes.
>
> Or if that's too easy, this is way cool -
>
> Quantum entanglement -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement
>
> This is a nice quote from the above
>
> "At the same time, it produces some of the more theoretically and
> philosophically disturbing aspects of the theory, as one can show that
> the correlations predicted by quantum mechanics are inconsistent with
> the seemingly obvious principle of local realism, which is that
> information about the state of a system should only be mediated by
> interactions in its immediate surroundings. "
>

> Back to your original issue with the simple stuff :-)
>
> This is a nice summary of the wave particle duality
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave-particle_duality
>

> That's enough of that for tonight.
>

> Further reading, my book from university
>
> Student Physics
> Quantum Mechanics
> P.C.W. DAVIES
> ISBN 0-7100-9962-2
> Routledge & Kegan Paul
>

> Me

Ouch!! Where did all those particles come from? Has anyone seen
Heisenberg?