Velocity Reviews

-   -   Disabling windows messenger (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t467544-disabling-windows-messenger.html)

hammy_pwb 02-27-2006 09:55 AM

Disabling windows messenger

I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in run,
but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can anyone
please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

SJP 02-27-2006 10:26 AM

Re: Disabling windows messenger

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Chadwick Stone© 02-27-2006 10:38 AM

Re: Disabling windows messenger

hammy_pwb [hammy_pwb@ntlworld.com] has entered into testimony
y0AMf.52556$494.45337@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net

> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

How did you learn how to do it before?

--

Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

hammy_pwb 02-27-2006 11:00 AM

Chadwick Stone© wrote:
> hammy_pwb [hammy_pwb@ntlworld.com] has entered into testimony
> y0AMf.52556$494.45337@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net
>

>> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
>> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
>> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA
>>

> How did you learn how to do it before?

I was told by someone who has recently moved abroad from me

james 02-27-2006 01:40 PM

Re: Disabling windows messenger

In run box paste

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Jim

hammy_pwb 02-27-2006 01:44 PM

james wrote:
> In run box paste
>
> RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
>
> Jim
>
> "hammy_pwb" <hammy_pwb@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in run, but
>> have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can anyone please tell
>> me so i can do it again .please TIA

thanks

Bob 02-27-2006 06:09 PM

Re: Disabling windows messenger

"hammy_pwb" <hammy_pwb@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in run, but
>have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can anyone please tell
>me so i can do it again .please TIA

start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up tab or
just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab... general.... then
untick the startup items. The msconfig method is best...!!
Bob

Toolman Tim 02-27-2006 07:26 PM

Re: Disabling windows messenger

In news:FfHMf.70788$0N1.8523@newsfe5-win.ntli.net,
Bob spewed forth:
> "hammy_pwb" <hammy_pwb@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
>> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
>> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

> start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up tab
> or just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab...
> general.... then untick the startup items. The msconfig method is
> best...!! Bob

No it's not. Msconfig is a TOOL, not a FIX. It only changes things on a
temporary basis, then has to load itself everytime Windows is booted.

You fix your car with a wrench. But you don't leave the wrench under the
hood, do you?

Bob 02-27-2006 08:00 PM

"Toolman Tim" <frack.this@no.spam.invalid> wrote in message
> In news:FfHMf.70788$0N1.8523@newsfe5-win.ntli.net,
> Bob spewed forth:
>> "hammy_pwb" <hammy_pwb@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> I disabled windows messenger on my other pc by putting a ommand in
>>> run, but have recently changed pcs and cant find this command can
>>> anyone please tell me so i can do it again .please TIA

>> start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up tab
>> or just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab...
>> general.... then untick the startup items. The msconfig method is
>> best...!! Bob

> No it's not. Msconfig is a TOOL, not a FIX. It only changes things on a
> temporary basis, then has to load itself everytime Windows is booted.
>
> You fix your car with a wrench. But you don't leave the wrench under the
> hood, do you?

I disagree..once unticked in msconfig the program will be disabled in the
startup "run" folder. I do realise this isn't a permanent fix but if she had
wanted to remove it permanently then of course this could have been done in
the add/remove programs. I am sure this is the method she wanted to use as
last time she said she used the 'run' box.

Toolman Tim 02-28-2006 12:22 AM

Re: Disabling windows messenger

In news:nTIMf.57147$m13.8766@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net,
Bob spewed forth:
> "Toolman Tim" <frack.this@no.spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> In news:FfHMf.70788$0N1.8523@newsfe5-win.ntli.net,
>> Bob spewed forth:
>>> "hammy_pwb" <hammy_pwb@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> start/run/type msconfig untick messenger under the start up
>>> tab or just go to tools on messenger and look under the tab...
>>> general.... then untick the startup items. The msconfig method is
>>> best...!! Bob

>> No it's not. Msconfig is a TOOL, not a FIX. It only changes things
>> on a temporary basis, then has to load itself everytime Windows is
>> booted. You fix your car with a wrench. But you don't leave the wrench
>> under
>> the hood, do you?

> I disagree..once unticked in msconfig the program will be disabled in
> the startup "run" folder. I do realise this isn't a permanent fix but
> if she had wanted to remove it permanently then of course this could
> have been done in the add/remove programs. I am sure this is the
> method she wanted to use as last time she said she used the 'run' box.

Correct. It won't load that program. But why load msconfig over and over and
over and over and over and over...get the idea? Disable the program
correctly. Don't leave msconfig running every time the computer restarts.
That is NOT what it is made for. It leaves temporary changes in the registry
just waiting for something to go wrong.