Velocity Reviews

-   -   Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t46746-thomson-books-on-2000-server-and-xp-pro-for-mcse-good.html)

Erik Molstad 09-17-2003 08:27 AM

Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

Hello, I'm taking a course at a local college and the text required are

MCSE Guide To Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Certification Edition
and
MCSE Guide to Microsoft Windows XP Professional

I would really appreciate opinions on these books and also their competitors
from Sybex and Coriolis...or others.

Basically, I'm hoping to find a book that doesn't include excess technical
info and that is also
an enjoyable read. I guess I might have been spoiled by Meyer's All In One
Guide for A+.

Thank you very much!

Erik Molstad
A+

Laura A. Robinson 09-17-2003 02:23 PM

Re: Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

circa Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:27:00 GMT, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Erik Molstad (emolstad@execpc.com)
said,
> Basically, I'm hoping to find a book that doesn't include excess technical
> info

Bummer. Those are the kinds of books I like.

Laura
--
I am Dyslexia of Borg,
Your ass will be laminated.

KLXrider 09-17-2003 04:49 PM

Re: Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:27:00 GMT, "Erik Molstad" <emolstad@execpc.com>
wrote:

>I'm hoping to find a book that doesn't include excess technical
>info

They are technical books....you will only find technical info in them.

KLXrider, MCNGP #18

Laura A. Robinson 09-17-2003 05:13 PM

Re: Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

circa Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:03:48 GMT, in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Erik Molstad (emolstad@execpc.com)
said,
> Thanks for your response...? ;)
>
> What I'm refering to is how Sybex books, as I've found from user reviews
> usually are more "to the point" for studying for the exam, they're less of a
> complete reference as other books are.
> I'll always want a very comprehensive book on hand, but for studying the
> MCSE objectives there might be something more efficient.

Ah, okay.

> I'm wondering if anyone who feels Sybex, Coriolis or others are more
> "efficient" in that way.
> Thank you

Well, I'm still the wrong person to ask. :-)

Laura
--
The tendency of an event to occur varies inversely with one's
preparation for it.

Erik Molstad 09-17-2003 05:13 PM

Re: Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

For reference use, yes I couldn't agree more.

news:MPG.19d23870bd1c718a98a915@msnews.microsoft.c om...

Kendal Emery 09-17-2003 05:15 PM

Re: Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

> Basically, I'm hoping to find a book that doesn't include excess technical
> info and that is also

Does that scare anybody else????

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
kemery@coordinatedhomecare.me.com
remove me to email to me

Glenn D. Crosse 09-17-2003 05:32 PM

Re: Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

I was going to suggest "MCSE for Dummies".
I believe it is still in print and can be found on Amazon.
Glenn

Erik Molstad 09-17-2003 08:38 PM

Re: Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

Kendal and Glen,
I don't want to be a paper MCSE. Wasn't trying to scare anybody. :-)

I can say though that I read Mike Meyer's A+ All In One Guide cover to
cover, took the tests, got very high scores and have the A+ title. The
knowledge I have goes way beyond what the A+ cert implies to employers. The
knowledge someone would have after reading 1000 pages on 2000 Server, in my
opinion is far beyond the level of knowledge tested to gain MCP status.
Yes I do have job experience, and college training.

MCSE for Dummies is not what I'm looking for. If that's the only other
option (which I don't think it is) I'll stick with the Thomson books.

KLXrider 09-17-2003 09:00 PM

Re: Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:03:48 GMT, "Erik Molstad" <emolstad@execpc.com>
wrote:

>What I'm refering to is how Sybex books, as I've found from user reviews
>usually are more "to the point" for studying for the exam, they're less of a
>complete reference as other books are.

Most of the books that are titled "MCSE" or "MCP" will only prepare
you for the exam. They are in fact fairly useless in the day-to-day
activities of a network admin.

If you want well rounded reference books I would take a look at the
"Mastering" series written by Mark Minasi and published by Sybex.

KLXrider, MCNGP #18

noone 09-17-2003 09:11 PM

Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

let's see now....a study guide for MCSE that is not too
heavy on the technical stuff and an easy read; these
items go together the same way as Microsoft "Works".
I've been an MCSE for 6 yrs (NT & 2000) and have yet to
find an effective book that has less than about 1800
pages of not to easy reading and is crammed full of
technical stuff and labs and questions. I dunno, but
seems to me that if you want to be an MCSE, you're gonna
have to weed your way through all that techno stuff and
get in to some pretty serious heavy reading...not to
mention setting up a home client/server network and
WORKING with the product. If it were as easy as you want
it to be, there'd be 100 million MCSE's in the world. As
it is, we are glutted with too many who have found that
easy non-technical read...but they can't function in the
real world! With apologies for the bluntness....dig in
and do it right!