Velocity Reviews

-   -   Scheduled Tasks? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t467201-scheduled-tasks.html)

TWIST 02-19-2006 03:56 PM

Scheduled Tasks?

Ok I'm the only person who uses my XP SP2 so that means my user
account is, owner with administrator rights but no password set.
It is my understanding to use the task scheduling in XP properly you have
to set
a password.

Does that mean every time I boot up the computer I'll have to enter
the password at the prompt screen? Which I don't want to do!

Toolman Tim 02-19-2006 04:05 PM

Re: Scheduled Tasks?

In news:yy0Kf.66862$0N1.3533@newsfe5-win.ntli.net,
TWIST spewed forth:
> Ok I'm the only person who uses my XP SP2 so that means my user
> account is, owner with administrator rights but no password set.
> It is my understanding to use the task scheduling in XP properly you
> have to set
> a password.
>
> Does that mean every time I boot up the computer I'll have to enter
> the password at the prompt screen? Which I don't want to do!

Supposedly, yes. But this may provide a workaround. First of all, there is a
hidden administrator account. If you are using XP Home, you have to access
Safe Mode to get the administrator account set up with a password (you NEED
to do this anyway for Internet security). Then in the Task Scheduler, use
the administrator account with that password for your scheduled tasks.

Senti 02-19-2006 05:54 PM

Re: Scheduled Tasks?

TWIST wrote:
> Ok I'm the only person who uses my XP SP2 so that means my user
> account is, owner with administrator rights but no password set.
> It is my understanding to use the task scheduling in XP properly you have
> to set
> a password.
>
> Does that mean every time I boot up the computer I'll have to enter
> the password at the prompt screen? Which I don't want to do!

Go ahead and give your account a password and then set XP to auto log
you on when you boot up. To do so, follow these steps *after* you give
yourself a password:

Open the Start menu and select Run...

Type:
control userpasswords2

.... and click OK

A dialog box will open. Make sure the Users tab at the top is selected.
A little below that you'll see a checkbox that says "Users must enter
a user name and password to use this computer." There should be a
checkmark in the box. Uncheck it.

(If there is no check in the box, put one in and then remove it. This
will activate the Apply button which you'll need.)

Click Apply to bring up a new dialog to enter your User name and
Password into. Enter the information for the account you want to log
into automatically.

Click OK.

Now when you boot up it should automatically log you into your account.
Test it out.

You should be able to set scheduled tasks using your password now.

~S